laptop for hd movie under 25k

mastersquall

Boomshakalaka! mastersquall.com
Adept
What's your Budget?

What will be your primary usage for the notebook be? (e.g. web surfing/office apps/Casual Gaming) =

Web surfing, movie and download

What size and weight considerations do you have?

15" or less

Any brand that you prefer,

prefer Asus

Any other considerations?(e.g Battery life; Widescreen/non- widescreen; Glossy/Matte screen etc.)

Battery life and most important HDMI port( HDMI port is reason i am selling my current laptop)

hmm.. its gonna be pretty hard to find a notebook with HDMI support in this range. you'll basically find netbooks and not notebooks in this budget.. ASUS and ACER will be your best bet at finding something because these are the only companies selling some models without windows preloaded. At this budget, you'll definitely have to look for something without windows preloaded as that will easily save anywhere between 3K to 7K.

so from flipkart, these are the best options that i could find.. i'd say these are pretty good deals. for HD movies you'll need a minimum of 2 GHZ dual core processor which these models have. both of them have HDMI port too. and as i said earlier, you get free DOS, so either you install pirated OS windows, or use Linux or Ubuntu.

check these out:

http://www.flipkart.com/asus-x54h-sx137d-2nd-generation-core-i3-2-gb-500-dos/p/itmd5eheq7khr5mq?pid=COMD5EHEAAUREXAF&_l=VLGMT56bjfBrqnhZ9Jn1Xg--&_r=4TgDKMgrvMF8wbeKVdJHSA--&ref=cc1a1d21-3be2-4980-aece-37e2505b5592

http://www.flipkart.com/asus-x-series-x54h-sx227d-laptop/p/itmd55qmpdbctd5a?pid=COMD55QHGHQYFGEU&_l=oT1z3QtW5jyAgTYyMl11Aw--&_r=4TgDKMgrvMF8wbeKVdJHSA--&ref=cc1a1d21-3be2-4980-aece-37e2505b5592

and except for a dedicated graphics card, every other thing is basically top notch.

Hey sorry..

In the above 2 mentions, I very strongly recommend to go for this one as it has a better onboard graphics processor.. the Intel HD Graphics 3000 is pretty decent.. Plus this one also has a USB 3.0 port so that is like future proof. the only difference being this has a 2.1 ghz processor whereas the former one has 2.2 ghz but thats no big deal at all.

http://www.flipkart.com/asus-x-series-x54h-sx227d-laptop/p/itmd55qmpdbctd5a?pid=COMD55QHGHQYFGEU&_l=oT1z3QtW5jyAgTYyMl11Aw--&_r=4TgDKMgrvMF8wbeKVdJHSA--&ref=cc1a1d21-3be2-4980-aece-37e2505b5592

definitely go for this one.

^^^^But why is more than 4 GB ram even required??? I am using 64 bit windows 7 and 64 bit Ubuntu, and none of them are able to use even the full 4 GB for such operations. Even when I am using 3D softwares like Maya 64bit, the max. RAM space it eats up goes upto 700 to 750 MB. I dont think just having more RAM is of any importance.. the overall hardware, motherboard bus speed, processor speed, the RAM frequency etc etc.. needs to be upgraded in a balanced manner to utilize the full RAM available to the system.. 4 GB according to me is more than enough, especially at the given modest budget and the mentioned usage of the product.

check these out:

http://www.flipkart....ce-37e2505b5592

and except for a dedicated graphics card, every other thing is basically top notch.

Hey sorry..

In the above 2 mentions, I very strongly recommend to go for this one as it has a better onboard graphics processor.. the Intel HD Graphics 3000 is pretty decent.. Plus this one also has a USB 3.0 port so that is like future proof. the only difference being this has a 2.1 ghz processor whereas the former one has 2.2 ghz but thats no big deal at all.

definitely go for this one.

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Both the ASUS model mentioned above have Intel HD Graphics 3000.[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]So the main diff is that:[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]X54H-SX137D @ 24735 has 2.2GHz CPU but no USB3.0 and 500GB HDD[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]X54H-SX227D @ 24219 has 2.1GHz CPU but one USB3.0 and 320GB HDD [/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Which one to purchase? I also have similar requirements as mentioned by [/font] mastersquall

i would have gone with the one with the usb 3.0 port.. 180 GB diff. in HDD is no big difference at all.. plus the processors also have just a difference of 100mhz.. hardly noticeable.. with the usb 3.0 coming up fast, once it becomes more common, you're gonna have much much faster transfer speeds on your usb drive.. and even your usb external HDD's will work faster on the usb 3.0. .and since you mention movies and stuff, i guess faster transfer rates will and should be of importance to you....

i would have gone with the one with the usb 3.0 port.. 180 GB diff. in HDD is no big difference at all.. plus the processors also have just a difference of 100mhz.. hardly noticeable.. with the usb 3.0 coming up fast, once it becomes more common, you're gonna have much much faster transfer speeds on your usb drive.. and even your usb external HDD's will work faster on the usb 3.0. .and since you mention movies and stuff, i guess faster transfer rates will and should be of importance to you....

Thanks for your response!

How about this one?

Is it possible that i get this from a local market and upgrade its RAM to 4gb and/or upgrade graphics card to 1gb? Would it be worth it?

It has usb 3.0 slot
<

Waiting for the response!!

Go for Asus X53TA.

Has AMD quad core, ATI HD 6650 GPU with 1GB ddr3, hdmi, usb 3.0, 15.6" screen, 6 cell, DOS, 500GB etc @ just 27k. In games, it beats my friends Sony lappy with i5 SB and HD 6630 which cost him 54k. You cant ask more for 27k, than whats on X53TA.

Thanks for your response!

How about this one?

Is it possible that i get this from a local market and upgrade its RAM to 4gb and/or upgrade graphics card to 1gb? Would it be worth it?

It has usb 3.0 slot
happy19.gif

Waiting for the response!!

ram can be upgraded quite easily.. .. about the graphics card, you will have to find out.. not all laptops allow changing graphics card.. plus, i dont even know if a compatible one will be available easily or not.. upgrading graphics card will only make sense for games or some 3D applications.. else, just for HD movies and stuff, the onboard is decent..

But, I do not recommend upgrading graphics card even if it can.. I would rather advise strongly to just buy a notebook with a graphics card.. just increase your budget a little bit, you will automatically get the 1 gb graphics and 4 gb ram.. dont go for upgrading and stuff when you are buying a new laptop anyway. just buy a little more expensive model.

and, i dont think a laptop which is stock without a dedicated graphics adapter, is gonna have space to put one.. (i think so..maybe some models allow.. i dont know for sure.)

@ OT check out my review of the hp dm1z in the reviews section and see how it fares in the gaming dept. do check reviews online on how the amd e-350 chipset/cpu handle gaming. the performance difference between the hp dm1z and the thinkpad x120e is about 1-3% overall. so the scores should reflect a similar trend.

ram can be upgraded quite easily.. .. about the graphics card, you will have to find out.. not all laptops allow changing graphics card.. plus, i dont even know if a compatible one will be available easily or not.. upgrading graphics card will only make sense for games or some 3D applications.. else, just for HD movies and stuff, the onboard is decent..

Then I am going forward with this laptop - http://www.flipkart.com/asus-x54h-sx136d-pentium-dual-core-2-gb-320-dos/p/itmd4bw9nfczv3pk?pid=COMD4BW8TVZZZTYD&_l=RAIjPowlGo_C6tEWbOAweA--&_r=iAUcsg90lJ163FafO0eeAw--&ref=e9761682-eff6-4bf9-9cca-d723041620dd

But I am a bit skeptical that it would be able to handle Windows 7 or not? (Because ASUS doesn't support XP drivers)

By Upgrading to 4GB RAM can this laptop handle Win 7?

Then I am going forward with this laptop - http://www.flipkart....ca-d723041620dd

But I am a bit skeptical that it would be able to handle Windows 7 or not? (Because ASUS doesn't support XP drivers)

whoa whoa.. which model is this??? i never recommended this model. this has pentium dual core. i never mentioned any notebooks with a pentium dual core processor..

a strict no for this model.. dude, intel pentium dual core processors were the first generation dual core processors from Intel which flopped severely. they just launched it fast to get up to par with AMD but they were highly flawed. thats why they quickly discontinued and came out with Intel Core2Duo emphasizing the second version of their dual core processors.. I cannot in all my senses recommend this model. the first generation dual core processors flopped because they were not properly optimized to distribute the processing load and take proper advantage of dual core processing.. if you have a decent processor, even 2 gb ram is fine for windows 7. just increasing ram to 4 gb wont do any good.. and especially, for HD movies, a processor speed of 2.2 to 2.5 ghz is recommended. but they run fine even on 2.1 ghz laptops because the processors are dual core and hence, the load is optimally distributed without the background applications disturbing the video player. if you buy a single core 2.2 ghz processor computer, the HD videos will tear and lag a little bit. 1080p videos will be a straight no.. hence, theres no point going for the obsolete dual core processor.. either buy a core2duo, or the new i3 processor laptop.. why dont you buy the ones i have mentioned above.. only difference is about 4K.

and the processor is not the only difference.. even the onboard graphics on the model you've mentioned is aging and crap.. the HM65 is quite old.. the ones i have mentioned have the Intel HD 3000 which is quite decent to be able to play games on lower settings and watching HD videos smoothly.. plus, the difference in the generation of processors is too much.. the dual core processors were outdated like almost 2 years ago..

and last point. forgot to mention.. the above mentioned model by you does not even have an HDMI port..

whoa whoa.. which model is this??? i never recommended this model. this has pentium dual core. i never mentioned any notebooks with a pentium dual core processor.. a strict no for this model.. dude, intel pentium dual core processors were the first generation dual core processors from Intel which flopped severely.

WOW!!! I am really impressed with the knowledge you have....Thank you so much for your tremendous help and for taking pains to explain it in detail
<

Makes complete sense to me.

Then i am locking on this one as you recommended earlier - http://www.flipkart.com/asus-x-series-x54h-sx227d-laptop/p/itmd55qmpdbctd5a?pid=COMD55QHGHQYFGEU&amp;_l=oT1z3QtW5jyAgTYyMl11Aw--&amp;_r=4TgDKMgrvMF8wbeKVdJHSA--&amp;ref=cc1a1d21-3be2-4980-aece-37e2505b5592 Fine right?

Thanks again
<

yeah .. this ones fine.. you can go for it..

and just a little bit of correction about the HM65 chipset .. even this model has the same chipset. i got a little confused.. was working while writing this. the intel hd 3000 is the onboard graphics processor which is good. .the one you mentioned doesnt have a good graphics adapter..

Then I am going forward with this laptop - http://www.flipkart....ca-d723041620dd

It looks good for normal computing use. But the drawbacks are only 2 usb ports and no HDMI. If you are okay with this then you can go for it.

whoa whoa.. which model is this??? i never recommended this model. this has pentium dual core. i never mentioned any notebooks with a pentium dual core processor..

a strict no for this model.. dude, intel pentium dual core processors were the first generation dual core processors from Intel which flopped severely. they just launched it fast to get up to par with AMD but they were highly flawed. thats why they quickly discontinued and came out with Intel Core2Duo emphasizing the second version of their dual core processors..

I think you have misread something! The processor is a Pentium Dual Core B950! This is based on the same Sandy Bridge architechture as the Core i3 2nd generation. Dont even think of comparing it with a core2duo. This processor is better than most core2duos.

Processor speed is not a big contributing factor for HD playback. My P4 2.8GHz cannot play even HD videos 720p. WHile an AMD E350 1.6 GHz can play HD videos and Full HD videos 1080p without any problem. There is going to be no perceptible difference between HD playback in a pentium B960 and Corei3 2310M. If Hd playback is important OP should look at a laptop with a dedicated GPU or at an AMD Fusion powered laptop. Also HM65 is not ' quite an old' chipset. It is still used in most corei3 laptops.

It looks good for normal computing use. But the drawbacks are only 2 usb ports and no HDMI. If you are okay with this then you can go for it.

I think you have misread something! The processor is a Pentium Dual Core B950! This is based on the same Sandy Bridge architechture as the Core i3 2nd generation. Dont even think of comparing it with a core2duo. This processor is better than most core2duos.

Processor speed is not a big contributing factor for HD playback. My P4 2.8GHz cannot play even HD videos 720p. WHile an AMD E350 1.6 GHz can play HD videos and Full HD videos 1080p without any problem. There is going to be no perceptible difference between HD playback in a pentium B960 and Corei3 2310M. If Hd playback is important OP should look at a laptop with a dedicated GPU or at an AMD Fusion powered laptop. Also HM65 is not ' quite an old' chipset. It is still used in most corei3 laptops...

MODS: please prevent such clearly wrong advice to be given.

dude.. i said already. i was confused at the time of writing .. read my post... i wanted to refer to the onboard graphics adapter... my mind was somewhere else.. secondly, if the processor speed is good, there neednt compulsorily be any dedicated gpu to play hd content.. my 2.1 ghz amd laptop plays absolutely fine without any gpu acceleration..

lastly, if anyone is slightly misinformed or missed a point that should have been taken into account.. we are all members of a forum who wont mind being corrected.. that is what makes this community a pleasant place to be .. this is how we get to learn.. no one has an intention of giving wrong advice... you need not request mods to PREVENT such matter.. .. even you may not be fully correct.. but you are speaking from your knowledge.. maybe someone with more advanced knowledge will come along, correct you and then request the mods to prevent such advice to be given.. does that mean you wanted to give wrong advice??? no. .you had the best intentions. .but if theres something more to learn, or to take care of in a more detailed manner, we more than welcome advice and corrections...

all right dude???

Back