Linux Laptop running hot using ubuntu 9.04

NoName01 said:
Laptop temperature after 25 mins of usage GPU-54C and CPU-51C...it this okay ?

looks fine to me....
mine runs arnd cpu core 2 duo t7250 48 to 51 and gpu 8400gt 55 to 65..
ambient temp is 27-28
my nvidia gpu is one of the buggy gpus which will fail if the delta temp is higher hence dell issued a bios fix which makes the delta changes less and hence gpu overheats :mad:
this bug is known in 8400 and 8600 series and there is no replacement by nvidia either...:no: one reason to hate nvidia.. :mad:

Gaurish said:
I believe you should stick with your current OS. There no benefit from distro hoping as what can be done in other distros can be done in ubuntu as well. its the same thing under the hood. you would never learn anything. besides Ubuntu Is great starting OS for linux newbies.

regarding temperature, I believe there is nothing to be alarmed off. its on a little higher side but temperature depends on lot of factors like current load and room temperatures. so relax:p
If you want save some energy and battery life. try CPU scalling, in which you underclock your CPU so it uses less power and it increases battery life.
More info:Enabling CPU Frequency Scaling Ubuntu Blog

Happy Virus Free Computing:)

I am using CPU scaling....i installed compiz fusion icon and i disabled compiz as i don't need it always, GPU temperature 54C-57C now.

NoName01 said:
I am using CPU scaling....i installed compiz fusion icon and i disabled compiz as i don't need it always, GPU temperature 54C-57C now.

It is quite okay, certianly there is no need to panic. and lastly, you mentioned you using CPU scaling, which governor you are using? for lower temps try powersave

Dark Star said:
^^There is prebuilt freq scaling in nvidia control panel / Have you tried lower speed if possible ? :S

I have left it as it is. it changes to diff speeds based on the gfx activity...I am not worried about heating of the gfx chip, the the delta temp is high then only i might screw it up, the downfall is if the chip heats up it wont cool down the temp immediately this is to tackle the delta temp problem...lol

Gaurish said:
It is quite okay, certianly there is no need to panic. and lastly, you mentioned you using CPU scaling, which governor you are using? for lower temps try powersave

I am using lm-sensors...will try Powersave and post updates

BTW how to install Powersave ? Linux noob here

NoName01 said:
I am using lm-sensors...will try Powersave and post updates

BTW how to install Powersave ? Linux noob here

Few clarifications:

Don't confuse Lm-sensors with cpu-scaling. both are different things

Lm-sensors:monitoring the hardware health of Linux systems and giving stats like temps

CPU-Scaling: It a practice of throttling CPU below its max capacity

Powersave Governor: Its a set predefined rules governing CPU frequency.

Try these:

HOWTO: CPU Frequency Scaling w/ Kernel Module - Ubuntu Forums

Howto Change CPU Frequency Scaling in Ubuntu|Ubuntu Geek

Enabling CPU Frequency Scaling Ubuntu Blog

Gaurish said:
Few clarifications:
Don't confuse Lm-sensors with cpu-scaling. both are different things

Lm-sensors:monitoring the hardware health of Linux systems and giving stats like temps
CPU-Scaling: It a practice of throttling CPU below its max capacity
Powersave Governor: Its a set predefined rules governing CPU frequency.

Try these:
HOWTO: CPU Frequency Scaling w/ Kernel Module - Ubuntu Forums
Howto Change CPU Frequency Scaling in Ubuntu|Ubuntu Geek
Enabling CPU Frequency Scaling Ubuntu Blog

Yea i was confused before....i am using CPU frequency which i added to the panel.....trying powersave

GPU temperature is 55-57C during normal usage including listening to music and browsing and it rises above 62 when watching movie.....using powersave mode

Back