Legend or Nokia X6 or Spica or N97 mini

Guys,
I am looking for a replacement of my old Nokia phone (its become embarassing). Although money is not a cause of major concern but I have this mental limit of not spending more than 22-24k for a phone max. I can always extend budget if need be, but I would rather we focus on this budget, as even if I do buy a phone worth 30k, it would be retailing at 20k 6 months down the line, unless its an iphone. Having said that, Iphone 4g launch nearing, I dont want to go anyway near 3gs.

So what do I need a phone for? Criteria below:

1) Looks and form factor high on agenda
2) Occasional messaging applications
3) Occasional web browsing
4) Decent camera
5) SMS

As you can see its not really a application intensive usage. But point 5 tells me I should consider a Qwerty. As no matter what ppl say about capacitive this, capacitive that, still no other phone in market comes close to iphone when it comes to touch screen.

Now folks will say go for the spica, which I dont mind, but after having waited so long for the phone, I want my phone to make a lil statement. So unless all other phones mentioned here dont fit the bill, I would rather you recommend some sexy phone. Is it worth waiting for Nokia C6?

And Symbian vs Android, without going in details, I am quite ok with Symbian as my usage wont make me extract the potential of Android to the limit.:huh:

Gaurish said:
I don't agree because Honestly, I never felt any lack of apps. but then maybe its just me:p
You need to take a peek at Android market and give Eclair a try to understand what appstore means and what having OPTIONS of choosing apps means.

Gaurish said:
Yes, True.Integration is good with native apps.
that level of Integration is very difficult to achieve with third party apps but it can be done
as I said earlier, it can be nowhere near to what we get on Android

Actually, Apps in Sybian CAN use notificaiton methods (like vibrate or ring) Check Skype App for example.Its excellent app. It does ring,Vibrate and all other things which a native app does. A Skype Call looks no different that normal Phone call done in Dailer App.
[/QUOTE]

good. atleast one app supports this. again, take a look at Eclair to know what I actually meant.

Gaurish said:
Nice...they are catching up. Still there are many things missing from android which Symbian has like Python Support.wonder how long it would take to catchup:tongue:

many things and Python? ROFL!
Gaurish said:
Yeah, same thing. I would kick Symbian for Android or iPhone anyday. But sticking because of the value it gives me. using 5800 and its got every feature a modern smartphone should have mail & calendar with sync, full html browser(Social networking),Good connectivity(3g,wifi), storage(>=8Gigs),lots of apps,good music player, etc just at a cheaper price. whereas Android or iPhone are costly with comparable features would cost much more.

hmm. look at this Samsung I5700 Galaxy Spica vs. Nokia 5800 XpressMusic - GSMArena.com.

i5700 costs around 12k-13k and it has better features and comes with Eclair (android 2.1). in short, I am getting an Android phone with better features and processing power for same price or less. What say you?
Gaurish said:
That time will tell, why speculate :p

am not speculating. I ask the same questions that everyone asks. When there is no clear direction that Nokia is taking, tapping here and there. First they tried to stick to S60V5 which spectacularly backfired for high end smartphones, then they announced Maemo as their smarphone OS and abandoned that, announced S^3 which got multiple delays and offers not much more than what S60v5 offers, then they announced MeeGo with Intel and god knows what they would do next.

N-series: what used to be flagship is now a stale series with no real innovation. except for some hardware changes, nothing really is happening in this area.

It's a sorry position to be in . Being so dominant in mobile phone market for so long, they are clueless and the frustration of investors is leading towards anger on CEO. I will not be surprised if Olli Pekka-Kallasvuo is kicked out.

For die hard Nokia fans, Symbian still looks rosy coz they don't care to come out of the well and explore other platforms. Unfortunately, that number is fast decreasing and unless Nokia does something revolutionary (not evolutionary), Symbian will be competing with those Java/flash based OSes that is found in sub-10k phones instead of competing with smartphones OSes like iphone OS, Android, winpho 7.

Ok guys, this is going haywire, thread being hijacked with Symbian and Android battle. Coming back to the original question, what I am getting is if I can source Nexus 1 for 25k its the best deal. Know anywhere in Delhi where I can find one at the price?

The other thing is between Spica and Legend, can both do video calling over 3g? And apart from looks is Legend really worth 10k premium over Spica. Need to close the deal soon, so thanks for your valuable inputs and time.

HTC Legend vs HTC Hero vs Google Nexus One: Android meltdown - Crave at CNET UK

@techcheat - don't you want the legend at 25k as well. I suppose it is easily available in India (At least on ebay.in it is)

Oh and not to hijack the thread but Android 2.2 Froyo is running 450% faster (with Flash support) on Nexus One !!

EXCLUSIVE: AndroidPolice.com’s Nexus One Is Running Android 2.2 Froyo. How Fast Is It Compared To 2.1? Oh, Only About 450% Faster | Android News, Reviews, Applications, Games, Phones, Devices, Tips, Hacks, Videos, Podcasts - Android Police

techcheat said:
Ok guys, this is going haywire, thread being hijacked with Symbian and Android battle. Coming back to the original question, what I am getting is if I can source Nexus 1 for 25k its the best deal. Know anywhere in Delhi where I can find one at the price?

The other thing is between Spica and Legend, can both do video calling over 3g? And apart from looks is Legend really worth 10k premium over Spica. Need to close the deal soon, so thanks for your valuable inputs and time.

1) Android doesn't do video calling (yet). all these phones doesn't come with front facing camera
2) I would say, spend on (launching soon in India) Desire which has better features than Nexus One and is just a bit more costlier. important thing is that you will get full support in India.
3) I personally felt that it was worthy to spend 10k extra (compared to Spica).

if you are least bothered about warranty, go for Nexus One. If you are in haste and need a phone with warranty, get Moto Milestone. If you can wait a bit, wait for HTC Desire.

silverbyte said:
HTC Legend vs HTC Hero vs Google Nexus One: Android meltdown - Crave at CNET UK

@techcheat - don't you want the legend at 25k as well. I suppose it is easily available in India (At least on ebay.in it is)

Oh and not to hijack the thread but Android 2.2 Froyo is running 450% faster (with Flash support) on Nexus One !!

EXCLUSIVE: AndroidPolice.com’s Nexus One Is Running Android 2.2 Froyo. How Fast Is It Compared To 2.1? Oh, Only About 450% Faster | Android News, Reviews, Applications, Games, Phones, Devices, Tips, Hacks, Videos, Podcasts - Android Police

whoa! 37MFLOPS is terrific. looks like Android is now making good use of snapdragon. earlier it was 6-7 for Nexus One.

PS: I ran linpack on HTC Legend (android 2.1) and result is 2.685 MFLOPS

This is getting soo complicated. I am not sure I am getting the right advises. Everyone is blinded by mine is better than yours. No real advise that I am seeking. Guys I get that Android is the future/present and miles ahead of Symbian, but has someone even read my requirements???

I want heavy texting ---> Can I go this with Spica or Legend?

Budget ----> 22k tops

Camera ----> I like taking pictures

Video Calling-----> I wont change my phone at least for 18 months

Possibly one hand use if possible. I will mostly install few apps, I dont care about multiple home screens, or synching contacts with google. In other words, I am ok with Windows XP and dont need Windows 7.

From what I have narrowed it down too, its between Spica, Legend and N97 mini. None of them would give me one hand use (texting while driving) but I have sort of prepared myself for it. Now the question is, can I do heavy texting/chatting using Spica or Legend? If not, is the N97 mini for 19k with life time navigation maps, car holder, car charger a good deal? Please advise as today is D Day!

Is E71 at 13k Value for Money, as I compared it with E72 and dont see a 6k worth of difference to justify the price. Please advise its between N97 mini or E71?

How much does Omnia Pro cost? Does it have a capactive touch screen or resistive?

@techcheat

i have a spica it is a wonderful phone and a terribly good deal at 12k

miles ahead of symbian at the same price point in terms of interface, apps and moddability

having said so

your key requirement is heavy texting and android had a terrible onscreen keyboard

the worst i have seen in a touch phone(android 2.1 is the same in terms of keypad performance)

and thus if i were you i would look at a hardware keypad a e71 would be a good bet.

techcheat said:
Is E71 at 13k Value for Money, as I compared it with E72 and dont see a 6k worth of difference to justify the price. Please advise its between N97 mini or E71?

How much does Omnia Pro cost? Does it have a capactive touch screen or resistive?

E71 is like a dwarf before the other two. Omnia Pro should cost around 22k but is very difficult to find. Looks like N97 Mini will be the only choice. Or you can wait for Nokia N8 which is to be released by end of August. (not to forget the possibility of first edition buggy GUI/OS)

get a legend. It is very high on looks.

I own one and typing is a breeze. no matter how many spelling mistakes you do with furious touch screen typing , the corrective software is too good.

Guys,
Finally bought the Nokia N97 mini from Nokia Store (it was slightly expensive than market). At 19500 I also got the Senhiser headset that comes with Nokia Express music. The phone is AWESOME. I bought it in white as in bronze it looks really like any other Nokia. I know I dont want to sound proud or biased but one really needs to look into this phone and give credit for what its worth and not get carried away from Android hype.

Only 2 cons for this phone:

- Software not as good as Android
- Processing power

But if you look at the advantages:

-Qwerty
-Video calling when 3 g launches
-My familiarity with Nokia OS making it breeze to use
-Great camera for my budget with Carl Zies Lens
- Perhaps the best resisitve touch screen I have used
-8 gb onboard memory
-full lifetime Nokia voice navigation with maps
-car charger
-car holder
-now its looking sleek after I bought it :) my bro with Omnia is drooling at it

I think I am very happy. Had I bought the Spica, apart from web browsing experience, and fast application install, I think everything else would have been less compared to N97 mini. Nokia is getting a lot of flack for being left behind, it has too, as when u are number 1, everyones gain is your loss. But still, it not as bad as its made out to be. Would hold its resale value better and I will get better support. Cheers!!!

congrats on the phone.. am using it since past one year.. i have the bigger one.. not the mini.. but after playing wid my X10i.. i always wonder.. NOKIA?? what is that :p

Back