Linux Lightest linux version with GUI

nistelrav7

Disciple
hi,

my 4 year old ibm thinkpad is counting its last days. Switches off every now and then cos of heating issue. Here is the thing,

with win xp it holds upto 6hours

win 7 upto 2 hours

and ubuntu/kubuntu it it goes off within 30 mins. Its weird!

I have tried installing each of these atleast 2-3 times..

Is there any light version of linux with with gui that solvs my problem?

Config Pentium centrino mobile 2.13ghz , 2gb ddr2 ram

On the other hand overheating lappy can be given a good service by thorough interior cleaning, checking the fans and reapplying a good heatsink material between the processor and the heatsink - your problem will be solved - I'm pretty sure.

True, if your laptop has a service manual for opening up the laptop, use it and apply new TIM as the old one would have dried by now. Also clean the heatsink/fans too. Have done it recently twice for my c702tu, temps are down to 60 deg from 80

thanks raunaqmorarka.. Will have a look into that. :)

Thanks for your reply archat68.

Actually i gave it for service 4 months back. No idea what they fixed. Charged me 1200 bucks and they said os cant be installed cos.of problem in motherboard. I understood their knowledge level with that reply :p

Have to.watch some youtube vids.and do it myself :)

I used Artic MX2, was on sale at prime for 300 bucks, 8 gms on last monday. prior to that was using a generic paste, which obviously was not upto the task, as temps were going to 80 load

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Hardware manual for your device, i am not sure of your specs, so check the docs and see which one is for your machine:

Hardware Maintenance Manual (July 2005) - ThinkPad T43 (1871, 1872, 1873, 1874, 1875, 1876)

Hardware Maintenance Manual (July 2005) - ThinkPad T43/p (2668, 2669, 2678, 2679, 2686, 2687)

taken from this site: Category:T43 - ThinkWiki

Back