Budget 71-90K Lightweight Laptop with good display & 16GB RAM

Most media outlets are reporting 'today' that Acer Swift X is launched & will also be available on Flipkart & other outlets.

I'll be waiting till October sales to see if there are any offers or buy from Acer store in nearby city.

There are two more models for those looking for similar features (16GB, 100% sRGB, lightweight) -
HP pavilion aero 13 ( Ryzen 5600) - This has been suggested in another thread in this forum. It weighs around 960g though battery could have been better (43wh)

ASUS ZenBook 13 OLED (2021)- (UX325EA-KG511TS) - OLED, 400nits, Glossy Panel, 100% DCI-P3, 11th Gen Intel Core i5

Your mind probably is made up already, but have you also looked at the Asus G14 Zephyrus line-up?

Have been using one for a few weeks now, and am quite impressed by the display and battery life so far. The display is supposedly 100% sRGB (maxes out at 250 nits, though). You also have one upgradable memory slot, with 8GB soldered in another. Found the keyboard slightly cramped and their AnimMe Matrix feature a bit gimmicky, but overall happy with the build.

My variant is a 4900HS/16GB/512GB/1660Ti/1440p/60Hz model that cost around 1.05L (which I later noticed sold for around 10k less during the recent FK sale). If you don't need the CPU power, you also get the Ryzen 5/7 variants for around your intended budget. And at the time I bought mine, they also had a running offer on an additional 2-year extended warranty (and they still may).

You can checkout the Lenovo Yoga 7 (the ine with Ryzen 4700). It’s very good for your requirements. I almost bought it but then opted for an Envy cause it was more compact

A few options to you

All laptops should have a 100%sRGB panel, and are upgradable in the RAM and storage department. Have included the prestige as the laptop has a pretty compelling form factor.

Appreciate detailed reply from @codelad , @Sammoka & all others.
ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 series has some good options at 1.6kg weight. I'm not really aware of the differences in Processor power. How does the Ryzen 7 5800HS (GTX 1650 4GB) in ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 compare with Ryzen 5 5600U hexa-core (RTX 3050) in Acer Swift X.

Model 1 - https://www.amazon.in/ASUS-Zephyrus...9&dchild=1&keywords=g14&qid=1631742272&sr=8-6

Model 2 - https://store.acer.com/en-in/acer-s...41g-with-35-56-cm-14-inch-fhd-display-1-37-kg

My intended usage is basic photo editing of RAW images taken on mirrorless camera along with multimedia.

Appreciate detailed reply from @codelad , @Sammoka & all others.
ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 series has some good options at 1.6kg weight. I'm not really aware of the differences in Processor power. How does the Ryzen 7 5800HS (GTX 1650 4GB) in ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 compare with Ryzen 5 5600U hexa-core (RTX 3050) in Acer Swift X.

Model 1 - https://www.amazon.in/ASUS-Zephyrus...9&dchild=1&keywords=g14&qid=1631742272&sr=8-6

Model 2 - https://store.acer.com/en-in/acer-s...41g-with-35-56-cm-14-inch-fhd-display-1-37-kg

My intended usage is basic photo editing of RAW images taken on mirrorless camera along with multimedia.
Hi there, the 5800HS is a higher powered 8 Core 16 Threads based on the Zen 3 architecture and the 5600U is a 6 core 12 thread chip based on the Zen 2 architecture which is a low powered efficiency chip. Its good for normal day to day tasks but can struggle if you throw more at it.

If editing is your main thing, having a graphic card can be really helpful with the 1650 or equivalent versions listed even the 3050 is a good card for your use case but at the same time the processor may struggle as its a low powered CPU (as I dont know what resolution, file size, enhancements/adjustments or whether you need a few more applications running in the background app type while using that process).

The Swift X is also a fine contender but do remember the RAM is soddered to the board, if later on you do require more ram it can be a major drawback. The ASUS G14 has part of the RAM soddered and one upgradable stick, might I suggest you try to use them to first get a feel of both the devices first before you buy them immediately? You could probably find a model at an outlet store if any.
What about LG Gram ? That comes in the same range of specification, isn't it ?
Again RAM is soddered to the board, at the same time the processor isnt comparatively upto mark, nor does it have a graphic card to take care of OPs rendering needs.

While it may not matter with your use-case, the Ryzen 7 CPU has a clear 2-core advantage over the Ryzen 5 model. (Edit: As pointed out by @Sammoka there's the power efficiency/battery life of the Ryzen 5 to consider.) Personally, with most other things on par and if the price difference is within reason, my rule of thumb is to always to pick a better CPU, since it is most likely the least upgradeable of all your components. There is of course the different GPUs to consider - have very little idea here, since my use-case allows me to run with the discrete GPU turned off nearly all the time.

What about LG Gram ? That comes in the same range of specification, isn't it ?
Actually had the LG Gram and HP Omen on my shortlist.
LG Gram - soldered memory and as pointed out on some YT reviews the screen appeared to wobble slightly while typing (especially on a non-flat surface) which I found a bit unnerving.
HP Omen - far more upgradeable, but the weight/portability factor doesn't compare well.

Back