Linux Linux for the newbie

anish_sha said:
just now installed Ubuntu, now i am on dual boot, i want to change the priority of the os, ie by default the os selection comes on linux, i want to change it to windows , how to do tht?

1. Open the terminal (Application > Accessories > Terminal)

2. Type gksu gedit /boot/grub/grub.cfg and hit enter.

3. Enter your root password.

4. Search for the line set default="0"

5. Now assign the boot no. of Windows. (count the OS's starting from the top. The first one is 0.)

For example: If in your grub boot menu your Windows OS is at 2nd position then its no. of will be 1 so set default="1"

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Oh BTW, I've a query too:-

How can I clean up Ubuntu Grub Boot Menu after kernel upgrades? I mean, I know that I can remove entry from grub.cfg file but that doesn't remove the kernel, it just clean up my boot menu. I want to remove/uninstall old kernels as I overheard that each kernel takes around 150 MB. (BTW I'm using Lucid Lynx)

I would really suggest Linux Mint based systems for beginners over the Ubuntu line nowadays. The Ubuntu line of OS' have steadily started to be slower and less impressive.

Do try Peppermint OS. A fork from Linux Mint with Openbox as its window manager. Excellent, fast OS even for very old computers. Still fully functional.

Oh - but you may need to download the Openoffice package. Off the cuff, I think this relies on Google Office as a web application.

@XTechManiac :)

@anish_sha Ya netbook version is really lite and awesome. I tried that on my Virtual Box. But as said by thetoxicmindm use the Desktop version, if it can be handled, it's more feature rich.

krishnandu said:
@XTechManiac :)

@anish_sha Ya netbook version is really lite and awesome. I tried that on my Virtual Box. But as said by thetoxicmindm use the Desktop version, if it can be handled, it's more feature rich.
installed the desktop version only.. so far so good...

XTechManiac said:
1. Open the terminal (Application > Accessories > Terminal)

2. Type gksu gedit /boot/grub/grub.cfg and hit enter.

3. Enter your root password.

4. Search for the line set default="0"

5. Now assign the boot no. of Windows. (count the OS's starting from the top. The first one is 0.)

For example: If in your grub boot menu your Windows OS is at 2nd position then its no. of will be 1 so set default="1"

Oh BTW, I've a query too:-

How can I clean up Ubuntu Grub Boot Menu after kernel upgrades? I mean, I know that I can remove entry from grub.cfg file but that doesn't remove the kernel, it just clean up my boot menu. I want to remove/uninstall old kernels as I overheard that each kernel takes around 150 MB. (BTW I'm using Lucid Lynx)
how to do this? im not getting.. this is what im getting

" #

# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE

#

# It is automatically generated by /usr/sbin/grub-mkconfig using templates

# from /etc/grub.d and settings from /etc/default/grub

#

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_header ###

if [ -s $prefix/grubenv ]; then

load_env

fi

set default="0"

if [ ${prev_saved_entry} ]; then

set saved_entry=${prev_saved_entry}

save_env saved_entry

set prev_saved_entry=

save_env prev_saved_entry

set boot_once=true

fi

function savedefault {

if [ -z ${boot_once} ]; then

saved_entry=${chosen}

save_env saved_entry

fi

}

function recordfail {

set recordfail=1

if [ -n ${have_grubenv} ]; then if [ -z ${boot_once} ]; then save_env recordfail; fi; fi

}

insmod ext2

set root='(hd0,8)'

search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 91d84bf5-3440-4a02-b6f5-3e9ddc828080

if loadfont /usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2 ; then

set gfxmode=640x480

insmod gfxterm

insmod vbe

if terminal_output gfxterm ; then true ; else

# For backward compatibility with versions of terminal.mod that don't

# understand terminal_output

terminal gfxterm

fi

fi

insmod ext2

set root='(hd0,8)'

set locale_dir=($root)/boot/grub/locale

set lang=en

insmod gettext

if [ ${recordfail} = 1 ]; then

set timeout=-1

else

set timeout=10

fi

### END /etc/grub.d/00_header ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###

set menu_color_normal=white/black

set menu_color_highlight=black/light-gray

### END /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###

menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-21-generic' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {

recordfail

insmod ext2

set root='(hd0,8)'

linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-21-generic root=UUID=91d84bf5-3440-4a02-b6f5-3e9ddc828080 ro quiet splash

initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-21-generic

}

menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-21-generic (recovery mode)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {

recordfail

insmod ext2

set root='(hd0,8)'

echo 'Loading Linux 2.6.32-21-generic ...'

linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-21-generic root=UUID=91d84bf5-3440-4a02-b6f5-3e9ddc828080 ro single

echo 'Loading initial ramdisk ...'

initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-21-generic

}

### END /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ ###

menuentry "Memory test (memtest86+)" {

insmod ext2

set root='(hd0,8)'

linux16 /boot/memtest86+.bin

}

menuentry "Memory test (memtest86+, serial console 115200)" {

insmod ext2

set root='(hd0,8)'

linux16 /boot/memtest86+.bin console=ttyS0,115200n8

}

### END /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###

menuentry "Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda1)" {

insmod ntfs

set root='(hd0,1)'

search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set e4eabfd8eabfa568

chainloader +1

}

menuentry "Windows Vista (loader) (on /dev/sda3)" {

insmod ntfs

set root='(hd0,3)'

search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 00b6d860b6d8582c

chainloader +1

}

### END /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###

# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries. Simply type the

# menu entries you want to add after this comment. Be careful not to change

# the 'exec tail' line above.

### END /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###"

@anish_sha

See there's a line like this in that file:-

anish_sha said:
### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_header ###

if [ -s $prefix/grubenv ]; then

load_env

fi

set default="0"

if [ ${prev_saved_entry} ]; then

set saved_entry=${prev_saved_entry}

Make it set default="4" if you want Windows 7 as ur default OS or set default="5" if you want Windows Vista as your default OS. After that save the file and restart to see the effect.

This should work I think.. :)

P.S. Always quote file's content when you post it on forums, it makes it easier to go through it.

XTechManiac said:
@anish_sha

See there's a line like this in that file:-

Make it set default="4" if you want Windows 7 as ur default OS or set default="5" if you want Windows Vista as your default OS. After that save the file and restart to see the effect.

This should work I think.. :)

P.S. Always quote file's content when you post it on forums, it makes it easier to go through it.
yup.. it worked... thnx...

ok sure.. will quote next time...

Gauravs90 said:
Is there will be any problem if i install ubuntu desktop version in a laptop which has i3 processor?
Right as XTechManiac said. There would be no problem. Netbook version is just a light version which have low specs. You can install any version anywhere. If you install Desktop version on your netbook and if the min requirements are not met then it'll run slow. BTW don't worry as this is not in your case. Your lappy is much powerful to run the Desktop version with ease.

anish_sha said:
missing my yahoo messenger in ubuntu... wish there was one for linux..;-(

Use Pidgin(Applications > Internet > Pidgin). You can connect to mostly all messenger services at once, with this one program. :) I find it better than Yahoo Messenger tbh.

anish_sha said:
Unless yahoo decides to make one, No.

Till then smart people have managed to reverse engineer so you can use pidgin but it does not have those *bling* *bling* features.

you can however, try running it with seamless mode in virtual box.

anish_sha said:

Oh btw you can also try installing Yahoo Messenger in ubuntu using Wine.

1. Install Wine. (Application > Ubuntu Software Center > Search for “Wine” and install the “Wine Microsoft Windows Compatibility Layer” )

2. Download the Yahoo! Messenger installer.

3. Run Yahoo Messenger .exe file. It will automatically load the setup.exe file, a program setup dialog box will appear with instructions. Its just like installing in Windows.

P.S. You can also install WineXS, a GUI for Wine to make things little more easier.

XTechManiac said:
Oh btw you can also try installing Yahoo Messenger in ubuntu using Wine.

1. Install Wine. (Application > Ubuntu Software Center > Search for “Wine” and install the “Wine Microsoft Windows Compatibility Layer” )

2. Download the Yahoo! Messenger installer.

3. Run Yahoo Messenger .exe file. It will automatically load the setup.exe file, a program setup dialog box will appear with instructions. Its just like installing in Windows.

P.S. You can also install WineXS, a GUI for Wine to make things little more easier.

I must warn you that, It does not run properly on wine. only way to run is to virtualize the win environment using virtual box or something similar.

Gaurish said:
I must warn you that, It does not run properly on wine. only way to run is to virtualize the win environment using virtual box or something similar.

Hmm..Thanks for the link. I didn't know that there is a database of software compatible with Wine along with ratings.. TFS

@OP

Then you have no option other than using Pidgin or using it in Virtual Box as suggested by Gaurish.

Back