Linux Linux for the newbie

anish_sha

Skilled
hi.. currently i am running windows 7 on my hp pavilion dv6-1215ee laptop..i just wanna try linux on my laptop,,, things i wanna do in linux os is surfing, music, videos etc.. so pls suggest the right flavour for me....

Better go with ubuntu ultimate version. It has many additions and has most of the codecs and stuff are integrated. With other version u may have to install the codecs manually which may be a tedious task since u r new.

don't go for ubuntu ultimate, its theme sucks
Wrt features i can bet the ultimate version is better than the normal one. Regarding the theme i guess it can be changed easily. Does the ultimate version has some other disadvantages also?

anish_sha said:
any basic info abt the linux for the newbie.. basic commands and functions......
I'm assuming you're on a Windows machine, and you wouldn't want to bork up your partitions, right?

There are 2 easy ways :
1) Try Live CD/Live DVD
2) If you want to install at all costs, without screwing up the partitions, give WUBI a try.

i have windows 7 installed in my C: and i have a partion D: which has 10 gb of space... its of filesystem NTFS... can i install linux on my D: drive?

Its done using Ubuntu Installer. Not available in Windows.

Do this.

Boot using Ubuntu CD. Choose "Try Ubuntu without Installing" and explore around, check if your hardware works. If you happy with what you see click on "Install" Icon, so you enjoy with full speeds because its runs slow on CD rom.

=CrAzYG33K= said:
If you don't want to risk damaging your HDD by trying to re-partition it, install Ubuntu from within Windows 7 using WUBI

tried tht, its again downloading something which takes > 1hr from internet.... i have limited bandwidth.....

just now installed Ubuntu, now i am on dual boot, i want to change the priority of the os, ie by default the os selection comes on linux, i want to change it to windows , how to do tht?

Back