Load balancing/Redundancy Router-for Home network

delhiboy1

Disciple
Hi guys,

I currently have a MTNL Delhi Triband ADSL connection connected to a TP-Link TD-W8968 and a TP-Link
TL-WR841N (in Repeater mode) . This is powering my PC (connected through LAN cable) , my Smart TV and the usual cellphones.

Have been paying through my nose for this as there was no other alternative- but lately the connection has been very flaky and the MTNL babus haven't been able to fix it for whatever reason.
I am now moving to a Excitel 20Mbps connection (via CAT5 cable, already plugged into the WR-841N and running). I am also getting a Nextra 25Mbps Nfinity Plan ( requiring a EOC, Ethernet over Cable modem of their own)

Both these connections are flaky at best , hopefully lesser than my current scenario with the MTNL ADSL. (and still work out cheaper per month !)

I wish to use both these connections to create a Internet service that is likely to be dependable 90-95% of the times. I mean , frankly, BOTH of them cant go down at the same time... ! :android:

I am hoping to use some sort of a load balancing/ FAIL OVER router/switch (like this ) that will help me realize this- BUT i am clueless on how this will work.

1.Can someone help and guide me .. how to set this up?
2. what additional equipment am I going to need over the current setup?

This is not a pro setup so i would like to keep things simple , cheap but elegant.

Thank you guys !

The option you have suggested seems to do what you require, in ASUS ADSL routers there is a failover option where in it would fail over to a 3G or a WAN connection, but this option adds an extra device but is still cheaper than ASUS routers which have failover, meaning it cannot use them both, where as this seem to be able to use both

I am presently load balancing between Airtel and BSNL ISPs. What you need is a router running openwrt and mwan3. With mwan3 you can define rules on how the traffic should flow over the two connections. The rules can be made as complex as you need.

Advanced tomato also gives you the option of load balancing.

I own the tp-link Lb , ask what do you want to know ( specific things )[DOUBLEPOST=1485576948][/DOUBLEPOST]1.Can someone help and guide me .. how to set this up?
- I can help you, im me
2. what additional equipment am I going to need over the current setup?
-
This is a router only, so you will need to attach a wifi router if you need wifi.
- you get 1 lan, 1 wan and 3 switchable lan/wan ( total 4 wan)

I have the 470 device, however its been more than a year since I used it - you can get that if you want to keep the budget low. If you don't mind spending a bit, I would suggest to get a pfsense box, there is an ALIX box from one of the members here on TE or you can make your own box, all you should ensure is get Intel NICs

The beauty of this is that you can setup the rules so that both lines are being used - either in load balancing, or keeping torrents on one line and normal internet traffic on the other - possibilities are endless - you just need to make the rules correctly. Plus, the webUI is fantastic.

Coming to both lines going down at the same time, yes it's possible, if both ISPs have a same upstream vendor or use common infra. We have seen this in Gujarat, Himchal Pradesh, where we keep 2 ISPs for our factory.

Thank you everyone for contributing your responses here- you have pretty much validated that the 470 will do the job ( and quite cheaply too !)

Now , both of my connections have been installed and currently working Ok.. I am holding on the 470 for now.. just to see how things work out on these ISPs.
Also, Reliance has laid down the Jio Fiber in my area.. May launch in a few months.. Will be sure as hell cheaper & more reliable than either of these two.

On a pleasant side note, both ISPs are performing fine speed-wise and seemingly have no FUP at all (Jio effect?!)

One issue I am facing though is the major degradation of speeds on Wi-fi in the rooms at the back of the house.. I somehow haven't been able to setup my spare TP link as a WDS/Repeater (though was able to do that once) .. For now, the two ISPs are in front & back- so I am managing w/o too much issue.

...Jio Fiber in my area.. May launch in a few months.. Will be sure as hell cheaper & more reliable than ...

I dunno, I'm hoping (not expecting) for the same too and not turn out to be another disappointment (high cost and low FUP) down the road.

Back