Looking for a Laptop under 50k, details inside

BUDGET: 50k

PRIMARY USE: I'm heading for college, and I need a laptop for my next 4 years, so mainly programming, photoshop, bit of video editing. Most of these things would be no problem for a 50k machine.

SECONDARY (IMP) USE: Running games ESPECIALLY the FIFA games coming up in the next 4 years very well. I'd also play other new games occasionally. Wouldn't mind playing them at medium if required since you can't expect a true gaming laptop for 50k

SCREEN SIZE and BATTERY: I wouldn't mind a 14 inch screen. Should have decent battery life.

BRAND PREFERENCES: None as such.

SHORTLISTED: HP Envy 14 is what I think is the best for me.

@Above: Whoa, that looks really good. Although I got excited over 5000GB HDD, it's actually 500. Nevertheless, it's an upgrade for my 80GB desktop HD :p.

Is the i7 Sandy Bridge?

cyanide911 said:
@Above: Whoa, that looks really good. Although I got excited over 5000GB HDD, it's actually 500. Nevertheless, it's an upgrade for my 80GB desktop HD :p.

Is the i7 Sandy Bridge?
Sorry. Typo :p Edited now. But we might hit that mark in 4-5 years though :D

DarkAngel said:
Sorry. Typo :p Edited now. But we might hit that mark in 4-5 years though :D
Haha. Disappointing screen res though. Is the processor in that sandy bridge or one of the older ones?

@Pauldmps: I'll check the VIAO out. I didn't consider Viaos because they tend to be overpriced, like Macs.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Yep, as expected, the Vaio's specs are nothing compared to the DV6. DV6 really is VFM :O

cyanide911 said:
Haha. Disappointing screen res though. Is the processor in that sandy bridge or one of the older ones?

@Pauldmps: I'll check the VIAO out. I didn't consider Viaos because they tend to be overpriced, like Macs.

Yep, as expected, the Vaio's specs are nothing compared to the DV6. DV6 really is VFM :O
Sandy Bridge Quad. It kicks previous gen quads a..... :D

The processors with 4 digit nos are sandy bridge. For eg., 2630QM. '2' denotes 2nd generation core processor. Next gen will be 3630QM. Finally Intel got some sort of logical naming scheme :)

Ah. That's a relief. Last time I was PC hunting Nvidia and ATI had their Graphic card naming all messed up. They sorted that out yet? :p

And how is DV6's cooling? I have two HP laptops in my household and both of them become volcanic after some activity. The Lenovo is fine though.

Any other suggestions? Or should I go ahead with the previously mentioned DV6? What about Dell?

cyanide911 said:
And how is DV6's cooling? I have two HP laptops in my household and both of them become volcanic after some activity.

The only review I could find is this: HP Pavilion dv6-6003TX - HardwareZone.com

Unfortunately, it doesn't speak about heat levels. I'm not very comfortable with heating problems of HP laptops. So I won't recommend them to anyone.
What about Dell?

Inspiron is not so good. XPS won't fit your budget.

The 15 inch XPS with i7 and 525M and 750Gig HD is for 56k as compared to the 15 inch DV6 with the i7 and HD6770M and 500GB HD for 52k.

How is the 525M as compared to the 6770M? I don't care much about the hard drive size tbh.

EDIT: Googled a bit, the radeon is definitely better than the 525M. I'm still skeptical about HP's heating issues though. I'll try to find some other reviews.

You need a good GPU for playing FIFA for the next four years, so get the HP+3yrs extended warranty, so even if you burn the laptop's MB it will be replaced under warranty :p

^^No,thats not a common thing,the old HP laptops with the pathetic AMD turion CPU had this habit, the intel sandybridge wont have same problems, still its advisable to get 3 yrs warranty as you get peace of mind and also out of warranty repairs are very expensive in case of laptops.

^Yup, as RS4 says they were horrible in the turion and even the older C2D's with Nvidia 7xxxGT and 8xxxGT GPU's (The GPU's being the culprit here)
But they have improved now. But since there are not much detailed reviews around user opinion would be your best bet here.

Oh alright. How much would the +3 yr warranty set me back by?

And in the US/Europe there are many coupon codes available for 100-200USD/EUR for laptops. Any such available in India?
Also, what's the best option for around 50k in the 14 inch category?

^^Dont know,may be 5k better ask HP service centre guys, no such coupon codes for dell/HP india,you can try letsbuy and ebay for coupon based purchase.

Back