Looking for safe area to stay in Gurugram

Grew up in South Delhi, close to Guragaon. Gurgaon was frequent visit. It's been 10 years of me working in south India. Still visit family in Delhi and Gurgaon.

I must say Gurgaon has changed a lot in past 10 years. Being a middle class I never had anything to show for my ego, no cars nothing. I have had gun pulled on me, got into few fights. But still it feels like home, mentally the freedom I have in Delhi/Gurgaon is unmatched.

I believe the safety issue is everywhere. I was beaten up in Bangalore couple of months back just because I am a north Indian.

You have to build these instincts of what areas to visit at what time. How to talk to people in what influence they are.
If you are a person who sleeps at 11 and go to office everyday, parties on weekend, don't have a massive ego yourself. you should be fine. Keep it to yourself.

There will always be someone who has problem with something.

Not starting a flame war but I prefer to be away from Delhi.
I have stayed in Delhi for 6+ years, I can concur on some of the points mentioned here. Generally, people here tend to be short tempered. It takes nothing to start a fight. You might follow all the rules of law but if the other person is breaking them, then you are at fault.
This is not to say all are bad. I have had experience with good people as well. But we usually kept to ourselves as we were outsiders.
It would depend on how the people are in your locality. Cartoons can be found everywhere, India is a vast country.
If you have a women colleague or any relations then their safety becomes a burden. From sperm filled balloons on Holi to ripping apart her modesty, women are unfortunately an easy target. I can list many instances, but point is it all depends on the people in your area just like in any part of the country.
South Delhi could be relatively better off. I was in Central Delhi. North and Eastern Delhi was bhagwan bharose for me.
Not trying to scare the OP, but making him aware of the possibilities of issues. You srea and the type of people will define your experience.

Again saying, not flaming!!!

Help the OP with suggestions for Gurgaon rather than comparisons or city wars.
OP is already exploring and considering urgent career changing opportunities in his hometown itself after going through this thread.. He is better off watching streets of gurugram in crime patrol!

Oh come on, bet there was more going on than just that
Nope. Or maybe I don't understand why I was beaten up.

Just random walking on the street with my girl at 1AM. Some drunk guys came asked me something, I replied I don't understand Kannada. He took some offence I don't know for what. Teased me by repeating some broken Hindi words again and again and started beating me.

Just random walking on the street with my girl at 1AM. Some drunk guys came asked me something, I replied I don't understand Kannada. He took some offence I don't know for what. Teased me by repeating some broken Hindi words again and again and started beating me.
This is common everywhere esp. when one isn't a localite.
Worst advise is whenever a person moves to another state, he/she should get a temporary local bf/gf to eb extra safe! Staying alive is important, relationships and trust can be dealt later..

I think this thread is swinging between extremes.
Every city has its own character..so does Gurgaon..

Fwiw, for a young and upwardly mobile individual, the quality of life available in Gurgaon will be in general significantly better than comparable cities ..
Its a great city esp If you are young , enjoy nightlife.. add the fact that Alcohol is ridiculously cheap, good food options aplenty.. endless options to shop...

On the flip side, road manners are atrocious.. Higher proportion of people walking around with a chip on their shoulder so greater likelihood of getting into a dispute or a brawl.. Also the summers are horrible

Overall I wouldn't want to move there at my age .. but the 20 something me would have shifted there gladly..

As for OPs original question, most gated housing societies in DLF and in & around golf course road will be safe & good to stay in

They're big on local language here but nobody hits you when they ask you something? makes no sense

Sounds like a guy looking to kick off given his state and time of day. Since he is in a group he feels brave.

I usually act like they're not there when this happens. Someone asks me something, I pretend I did not hear them and walk on. I have my eye on the street ahead and don't even acknowledge they're there. This seems to work on a number of occasions.

I don't care to get into conversations with random people in the middle of the night. I remember some kid asking me for the time from like ten feet away. He was with a bunch of his friends. I just walked off and then much further off, he calls again and there is no reply. What can he do. Nothing.

road manners are atrocious
After living in Gurgaon, Bangalore and now Mumbai - Trust me, its the same everywhere. Personally its the easiest to drive in gurgaon due to lesser traffic and better roads than in mumbai.
Overall I wouldn't want to move there at my age .. but the 20 something me would have shifted there gladly..
Probably true for all Metro cities.

OP, have a look at staying on Sector - 43. Nice places to stay there. What is your budget and preference - floor, apartment, etc ? BHK ?
If you can find places in DLF Phase 1, 2 and 3, they would be the closest to your office. However, they will be quite expensive.
Just for reference, will you be driving to work or have an office cab, etc ?

So what did you do @star_lord??
The day i landed into Delhi was horrible. It was hot as hell and i went to a hotel which was in u block dlf phase 3. I was disgusted by the area and decided to change my hotel that day itself and let go of my hotel charges. I stayed in dlf phase 2 hotel and it was good and after a few days took a pg in dlf phase 2 itself. So far everything is ok from my end.

But any day i will choose Bangalore to stay over gurgaon.

How is dwarka Delhi for renting out flats and commuting to gurgaon?

The day i landed into Delhi was horrible. It was hot as hell and i went to a hotel which was in u block dlf phase 3. I was disgusted by the area and decided to change my hotel that day itself and let go of my hotel charges. I stayed in dlf phase 2 hotel and it was good and after a few days took a pg in dlf phase 2 itself. So far everything is ok from my end.

But any day i will choose Bangalore to stay over gurgaon.

How is dwarka Delhi for renting out flats and commuting to gurgaon?
This is the worst season to visit.. I can understand what you must have felt...
Humidity in high 80s and temperatures in mid thirties...
Its unbearable even for us who have been living here since decades lol... (this year its is especially cruel)

Dwarka is good, and if I am not mistaken, the travel to Gurgaon doesn't take much long if you drive a bike or even a car..
But again choose the sectors wisely, all kinds of sectors, with all kinds of people from all kinds of social strata..
Personally, I been to dwarka just a couple of times that too in passing... So don't have a first hand knowledge tbh...

Still, will call up a couple of guys tomorrow and update here...

On a different note, it's always difficult to get used to a place when you land there in possibly the worst weather... But if you are easy going and not too touchy you ll love Delhi and after may be a year you ll be just like us... Honking, speeding, giving looks, restless, thinking you are superior and consuming all kinds of food, from here there everywhere every nook corner.. Lol

Last edited:
Avoid travels unless there is direct metro connectivity.
There are many sectors and buildings that are self sufficient in gurgaon. Just need to find as per requirements.
I stayed in phase 4 for 2 years near galleria market and it was a great location with access to everything in 1 km range. Find a good building in your budget. Many brokers in that area to help you out

Hi people,

I am here to give you guys an update. I left my PG and the owner refused to return my deposit. The deposit amount was almost 15k and I gave bad reviews on google maps for his PG. After that he returned only half of my deposit. Anyway, I finally got a flat in DLF Ridgewood in DLF phase 4. I live with 2 bachelors and so far it is going good. Also, currently the climate is also becoming good now. Earlier in September month there would be no noise of children or anyone walking in the society at night or evenings. Now I see kids playing in society common lawns, playgrounds etc. I also see many people in the evening taking a walk and feels like a complete residential area now. Also when commuting I use autos or bike taxis sometimes and it is calm and feels like a cool breeze when travelling. Just like it feels in Bangalore all year around as climate there is so great.

Now I am anticipating the winter here. I have been told winter is too harsh here and my flatmates were telling similar stories too. What do you guys suggest on getting prepared for winter?
Pls keep in mind I have stayed in Bangalore all my life and near Mangalore for 4 years for my college. I can tell you that I was always in shorts and t shirts. Also sleeping with Chaddar only and no heavy blankets or rugs. How should I get prepared for the winter here in Gurgaon??

Now I am anticipating the winter here. I have been told winter is too harsh here and my flatmates were telling similar stories too. What do you guys suggest on getting prepared for winter?
Google for last few years weather trends there and you will get an idea.

Hi people,

I am here to give you guys an update. I left my PG and the owner refused to return my deposit. The deposit amount was almost 15k and I gave bad reviews on google maps for his PG. After that he returned only half of my deposit. Anyway, I finally got a flat in DLF Ridgewood in DLF phase 4. I live with 2 bachelors and so far it is going good. Also, currently the climate is also becoming good now. Earlier in September month there would be no noise of children or anyone walking in the society at night or evenings. Now I see kids playing in society common lawns, playgrounds etc. I also see many people in the evening taking a walk and feels like a complete residential area now. Also when commuting I use autos or bike taxis sometimes and it is calm and feels like a cool breeze when travelling. Just like it feels in Bangalore all year around as climate there is so great.

Pls keep in mind I have stayed in Bangalore all my life and near Mangalore for 4 years for my college. I can tell you that I was always in shorts and t shirts. Also sleeping with Chaddar only and no heavy blankets or rugs. How should I get prepared for the winter here in Gurgaon??
Get proper blankets and some winter pants too,....as october comes to end it will start to get cold enough to not wear shorts and t-shirts.....get some sweaters and jackets too...both half/ full sleeve....i also live in ggn as of now it is still summer vibes

Back