M.2 Drive Mounting Screw

rr9

Disciple
Hi,

The crucial p1 doesn't come with the screw to mount on the Mobo. Right?
I remember having a screw for m.2 drive coming in the motherboard box, a320m asrock hdv r4, but don't have it on me.
What can i use?

The base screw is there on the motherboard.

Share me your shipping details. With m.2 NVME drives HP provides extra m.2 screw. Will ship it to you - Obviously shipping will be on you.
Thank You @tech.monk for your generous offer. And Also to @Julian and @6pack for your help and support.

I will try to find one at home (any screw that fits), then visit local shops. (I live in a small town, so low hopes from local shops.) If both of these fails, I will request your help @tech.monk . Thank You : )

Any compatible screw will do...old hdds or mobo ones. Hunt in your junkyard.. Try at your friends place or a local eletric repair shop. Shouldnt actually cost you even 1 paisa but be ready to pay 2-5 bucks max!

Any compatible screw will do...old hdds or mobo ones. Hunt in your junkyard.. Try at your friends place or a local eletric repair shop. Shouldnt actually cost you even 1 paisa but be ready to pay 2-5 bucks max!

'Compatible' means a screw with metric M3 thread, with a thread length of 2mm. It's not the same as those used for a 3.5" HDD (#6-32 UNC screw). Rather, it's the one used for optical/floppy drives, 2.5" HDDs and SSDs.

More details here:

See the comparison.

1605369531164.png

'Compatible' means a screw with metric M3 thread, with a thread length of 2mm. It's not the same as those used for a 3.5" HDD (#6-32 UNC screw). Rather, it's the one used for optical/floppy drives, 2.5" HDDs and SSDs.
Correct - M.2 drives either need a M2 or M2.5 screws, both of which are very commonly used in laptops. So go to a laptop guy and ask him for a few screws, get them in both "rough thread" (aka M2.5) and "smooth thread" (aka M2). Either one of them will fit.

Correct - M.2 drives either need a M2 or M2.5 screws, both of which are very commonly used in laptops. So go to a laptop guy and ask him for a few screws, get them in both "rough thread" (aka M2.5) and "smooth thread" (aka M2). Either one of them will fit.
The specified thread size is M3 so wouldn't M2 or M2,5 be too small? They might fit but will not engage the threads completely and will shear them off if enough torque is applied.

I can't find my screws pouch right now, so i just unscrewed one from my ODD, and it's length is 4mm which might be too much for an m.2 mounting standoff. But i'm sure i have some short length ones, maybe the specified 2mm length, in my collection. So they're not uncommon. Just hope somone doesn't try forcing a regular #6-32 screw into it.

M.2 standoff have either M2 or M2.5 threads. M3 doesnt fit
Hang on, are you saying it's not the same screw as used for 2,5" sata SSDs?

Let me try to clarify in case there's confusion.

1. M3 - used for floppy/ODD/2.5" HDD/SSD

2. #6-32 UNC screw - used for 3.5" HDDs/PSU/case covers/GPU/PCI slots

1. and 2. are NOT inter-compatible

Edit: Ok, this is retarded. Apparently there are two possible screw sizes. Yep, in today's world they just had to go f*ck that up too.

page 86-88 http://read.pudn.com/downloads794/d...nical_Spec_Rev1.0_Final_11012013_RS_Clean.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
My MSI board needs M2 screws for the M.2 standoffs, I've seen.mobos which need M2.5 too hence that's what I said. I have not seen or heard of M3 screws for M.2

My MSI board needs M2 screws for the M.2 standoffs, I've seen.mobos which need M2.5 too hence that's what I said. I have not seen or heard of M3 screws for M.2
Gotcha. As usual we can safely blame the 'experts' for creating a crappy standard. Well, just the screw sizes actually rest is good i guess lol

Ya that only, which are eevn common for mobos. Hence asked him to hunt in his or some friends scrap.
But that's the problem. Motherboards (their standoffs actually) use the same M3 thread screws used for floppy/ODD/2.5"s. But @SunnyBoi is saying those screws don't fit his m.2 SSDs.

Back