Budget 71-90K MAC/Win Laptop? (Buying in Canada)

Hi guys,

I will be moving to Canada in the next couple of months. I have been offered a spot at one of the top B Schools there. I am planning to sell my current laptop and get a more portable one with good battery life and better heat management.

My requirements:

• 2 kgs (Less the better)
  • 15 Inch screen is ideal
  • Good thermal management. My current laptop runs very hot.
  • 1080 is a minimum (Will be my only entertainment source :p )
  • Hybrid/SSD for faster OS (Not mandatory)
  • 4 hours min battery
  • Good processor (Haswell i5/i7). I multitask rather heavily. 20+tabs +word+multiple PDFs etc are a norm for me
  • I DO NOT need a touch screen.
  • Being able to run continuously for long hours every day.
  • Good customer support
  • To be used atleast for 3 years trouble free.
My Usage:

• Heavy on browsing and reading (VERY heavy)
  • Lots of movies :D
  • Even if it a MAC, I will need to run some softwares which are not available on OSX. So how smoothly does the mac run run windows? (Industry specific)
  • Office/excel/PPT/PDF
  • Light Photoshop and video rendering
  • MIGHT game. But not a priority
Priority:

1. Screen
  2. Battery
  3. Performance
  4. Portability
  5. ASS

I know this is a rather complicated requirement (aren't they all?). But pls suggest MAC or WIN and suggest something particular in that ecosystem.

Please do remember that I am eligible for a students discount(If available) and I am buying it from Canada.

Budget is: 1800-2000CAD

Guys no help?

I am currently looking at Lenovo X1 carbon, Dell XPS 15 with SSD/Hybrid and Macbook pro 15. Pls advice abt other models.

Lenovo X1 Carbon had me drooling all over it. A MBP/MBA is also a worthy contender and I think both are eligible for International Warranty.

Lenovo X1 Carbon had me drooling all over it. A MBP/MBA is also a worthy contender and I think both are eligible for International Warranty.

I looked into X1 carbon. It is awesome but the specs are kind of iffy. Small HDD, limited ram, 4200U proc.

Have you checked the y50?

Here's the full specs of Y50 in India. http://www.thedostore.com/ideapad-y..._medium=popup&utm_campaign=y50&linkId=9112441

It has got a lot of downgrading to reach it's current price point:
1. TN Panel (most current gaming laptops are with FHD antiglare panels)
2. 4 Cell battery (6 cell battery should be minimum or else it wouldn't even last for 2 hours at back-up power)
3. DDR5 memory (GDDR5 graphic memory is the norm for gaming laptops)
4. 1TB 5400 rpm HDD (this is just low blow downgrading, minimum is 7200 rpm)
5. 1 year warranty (pretty much says it all)

Macbook pro 15 with retina. I dont think u can go wrong with it, given ur conditions

I use the MBa13 with Win8.1 Works like a charm, so i would expect the same on the pro

For those who suggested MAC: I decided to get a really powerful PC and the macbook air as a portable couple of months down the line after the proposed retina display refresh. Believ that this is the best combo for me.

I finally decided to get the microsoft store exclusive version of the Y50!

UHD Touch screen(Reflective BUT IPS and great viewing angles)+860M (Maxwell version)+256GB SSD.

Light weight, powerful and has that understated cool look. LOVE IT!

Back