MacBook Pro 14 and MacBook Pro 16 with new processors released

MacBook-Pro-Notch-Feature.jpg
Apple is calling the event 'Unleashed' and its expected that they would be demonstrating the true power of their new silicon which they introduced in the lower end MacBooks. Calling them lower end would not be accurate given how they outperformed the beefier Intel processors. So much so that Intel went scrambling in desperation to release a series of ads showing how non-apple laptops are better, not once comparing the actual performance of Intel vs Apple silicon.

The MacBook Pro laptops are also supposed to redesigned around the new processors which are extremely energy efficient thus leading to a more compact design. The screen bezels are supposed to even thinner than they are in the 16" MacBook Pro and introduce a new MacBook screen size of 14" instead of the regular 13" size. The displays are expected to be mini LED with higher resolutions.

The base models on the new processor, to be called M1X or M2, are supposed to start with 16GB RAM and 512GB storage. The processors themselves will get a bump up from 4 performance cores to 10 performance cores and 16 graphic cores from the 8 graphic cores. The cores are expected to run at a higher frequency. No wonder the event is being called Unleashed and Intel is scared out of their wits.

There are also rumours that the Touch Bar will go away in favor of regular function keys and we will have more variety of ports than just USBC ports currently available. A return to MagSafe charging is also expected.

All this however will likely cost 1,74,000 for the starting model here in India and would price it way out of reach for most of us.

Personally I would prefer that they introduce the redesigned chassis in the current base MacBook Pro model and take it from 13" to 14" with the current M1 processor in the market. I would happily take that model with a 16GB RAM option to replace my ageing MacBook 12. Had been saving every month for past 2 years for this day.

Last edited:
Guys, this is no longer a macbook thread.

Can we atleast try to keep it on topic, just barely even.

As an M1 Pro MBP owner, the laptop has been amazing. One of the best purchases i've made.
So can anyone with the M3 MBP share any upgrades worth mentioning ?

As an M1 Pro MBP owner, the laptop has been amazing. One of the best purchases i've made.
Stay with the M1 pro unless you have some very specific use case that would benefit from the minor speed bumps.

I have a 16 M1P and a 14 M3P. The 16M1P is plenty powerful and more for pretty much every normal use case and whatever additional the M3P brings to the table is not noticeable leading to practically no real word difference (that at least i could notice)
Well, other than ofc the screen size

Nope. I haven’t noticed any difference. I’ve got the 16” M1 Pro and 16” M3 Max. The only difference is I custom upgraded the RAM on the M3 Max and there’s no memory pressure anymore and slowdowns due to that. If you’re comfortable with the RAM you’ve got, I think you won’t notice a difference in most workflows. In my use case I run both docker and Linux VMs on the Mac, that’s why I’ve the memory pressure in the 16GB M1 pro MacBook version.

Slightly tangential, I use an 16" M2P professionally and also own an 14" M3P .
I recommend trying to use a 14" full time. In my experience, the 14" is significantly better at being a "laptop" than the 16" model. I enjoy the smaller form factor much more in my daily life than the bigger screen and slightly better speakers on the 16" model.

Slightly tangential, I use an 16" M2P professionally and also own an 14" M3P .
I recommend trying to use a 14" full time. In my experience, the 14" is significantly better at being a "laptop" than the 16" model. I enjoy the smaller form factor much more in my daily life than the bigger screen and slightly better speakers on the 16" model.
I have the 14" as well and yeah as a laptop its a more convenient device. Just wish the battery was as good as the new 15" Airs. It's probably the same as my old 13" rMBP 2015.

Its not bad, ~ 6-7 hours is great but not the ~10 hours that the Airs get

I have the 14" as well and yeah as a laptop its a more convenient device. Just wish the battery was as good as the new 15" Airs. It's probably the same as my old 13" rMBP 2015.

Its not bad, ~ 6-7 hours is great but not the ~10 hours that the Airs get
What are you using it for?
6-7 is way too low on the 14 variants unless you are constantly running something very cpu intensive (or have an app that's misbehaving in the background)

What are you using it for?
6-7 is way too low on the 14 variants unless you are constantly running something very cpu intensive (or have an app that's misbehaving in the background)
Nothing really intensive but large excel files and such. Usually multitasking with spotify on and about 20-30 safari tabs. 20-30% constant CPU usage at 50-60% brightness.

I'm not saying its bad. Just hope it had 4 efficiency cores instead of just 2.

Nothing really intensive but large excel files and such. Usually multitasking with spotify on and about 20-30 safari tabs. 20-30% constant CPU usage at 50-60% brightness.

Still seems quite high.
My usage is similar , maybe slightly more intensive (add 5-7 Ppt/ 15-20 outlook windows to your list)
But I end up getting easy 14-16 hours per charge

Some web apps can be notoriously cpu intensive which could be an underlying cause. Check activity monitor sorted by cpu usage and by energy usage on activity monitor to zero down on the culprit
I'm really hoping for significant single core performance improvements with the M3, the performance ceiling of the M1 is frustratingly low for my day to day:

Granted, this is on a mini and not a laptop, but this thread went OT a very long time ago.
What is guetzli and why is it so cpu hungry

It's a jpeg optimizer developed by Google engineers:

It's notorious for being cpu intensive, but the results are striking, it can halve the file size of a 12MP 85% jpeg exported by Adobe apps in about 4 minutes without any visible change in image fidelity.

I use it extensively since it lowers hosting costs significantly for full resolution images that I make available on my blogs.

Last edited:
It's a jpeg optimizer developed by Google engineers:

It's notorious for being cpu intensive, but the results are striking, it can halve the file size of a 12MP 85% jpeg exported by Adobe apps in about 4 minutes without any visible change in image fidelity.

I use it extensively since it lower hostings costs significantly for full resolution images that I make available on my blogs.
This whole standards war is a pain.
If only heif was fully supported by chromium

Any real gains with M3 over M2? Especially ones worth the price difference for 16gb models?
I found only VP9 hardware decoding. Which arguably is the mostly painful for my current laptop.

In Macbook Air M3 the clamshell mode wipes out 50% performance. So thats not much of a gain.

Any real gains with M3 over M2? Especially ones worth the price difference for 16gb models?
I found only VP9 hardware decoding. Which arguably is the mostly painful for my current laptop.

In Macbook Air M3 the clamshell mode wipes out 50% performance. So thats not much of a gain.
For everyday usage, it's hard to tell even between my wifes m1 air 8gb and my m3 pro 16gb.
So unless you are running a specialized and compute intensive task, I guess the answer is a no

M2 sucks real-time have a macbook pro and it lags
switching between 2 google accounts it lags , switching between telegram and chrome it lags.
already resetted it twice.

can it be due to the fact that I hardly shut it down? or could be due to I downloaded a lot of torrents on the mac?

M2 sucks real-time have a macbook pro and it lags
switching between 2 google accounts it lags , switching between telegram and chrome it lags.
already resetted it twice.

can it be due to the fact that I hardly shut it down? or could be due to I downloaded a lot of torrents on the mac?
It’s definitely not the former.
Check activity monitor to see if there is some rogue process chewing the cpu or disk

Apple is the only company in the world that sells a 'Pro' machine with 8GB memory in 202x. Inspite of memory being dirt cheap for the past couple of years. Just speaks volumes as to how they care very less about the end user experience for those who are buying the base models.

Back