CPU/Mobo Machine Running HOT!! Need help!!

sunny27

Stig's Indian Cousin!!!
Skilled
Hi,

I just assembled my system now and am getting very high temperatures in the bios:-

IMG_0176 by geekgamer_27, on Flickr

The above temperatures are with the side panel opened with the side panel shut, I get readings of 53 Degrees system temperature and 54 degrees cpu temperature. I just assembled the system about 20 mins back and powered it up and have left it running in the bios.

This is the setup:-

IMG_0178 by geekgamer_27, on Flickr

IMG_0180 by geekgamer_27, on Flickr

The thermal paste used is Tuniq TX 2 which is a year old. The heatsink used it Coolermaster TX -3 with a 92mm Blademaster fan. The config is as follows:

AMD Phenom 2 X4 955 BE - non overclocked

Gigabyte GA-785GMT -USB 3

2Gb DDR 3 OCZ Platinum at 1600Mhz (Manually changed speed from 1066 to 1600Mhz in the bios and rebooted and have been on the bios ever since)

Gigabyte Luxo M 142 cabinet with a 2x 120 MM fans - coolermaster and gigabyte's own fan

Corsair VX 550 psu

Nvidia 8800Gt 512mb

3 hdds

My Room temperature is 31 Degrees Celsius. There is no AC in my room.
I am getting Artic MX 2 paste and G-Skill Rip jaws 2x2 =4Gb DDR3 1600 Mhz tomorrow. The temps with the stock heatsink when i tested the system 2 days back was 33-37 degrees and that was in the bios. I have installed the OS yet.

Any suggestions?

in your cpu headstick might be reduce life cycle out at your old 939 socket

use IPA alcohol for clean at your heat-stick very sharp and reapply the thermal again and check if stable

make sure disable cool and quite and also recheck the cpu fan cooler if it is hot ;)

your cpu is 125 watt where i saw it is c3 step ;)

also google > HWMonitor and download it so u can mointor check the TDP power rating for cpu ;)

Do not rely on BIOS readings for temperatures. DL HWMonitor/CoreTEMP and cross reference the temperatures they display.

recheck the fitting of HS-fan and use ur pc now if the temp increases gradually and results in shutdown it could also be a faulty CPU.

Despite fitting correctly the HD-Fan's i have had many burning AMD's in the Past

yup check the heatsink fan. I just bought Phenom2 X4 955BE last month. for 125 TDP the Max temp recommended by AMD is 62 degrees.48 at idle is very high.

Such high temps! I am coming straight off a socket 939 AMD dual core Opteron and that ran at 45-58(full load ) degrees max and that that too in Ahmedabad's 45-46 degree summer in my room with no AC!

I got lower temperatures with AMD's stock hsf, around 37-38 degrees.

[1] Should I consider changing HSF? I won't be doing any overclocking.

[2] Does system temperature increase if memory core speed is bumped up via bios? (the OCZ 2gb ddr3 platinum runs at 1066Mhz by default it has to be manually set to 1600Mhz @ 1.65 V)

[3] If I reduce the V core of the CPU how much should I ideally set it at? Its currently running at 1.375 V.

dude drop the Vcore further lower.

keep checking with 15mins prime testing..

i could go upto 1.2350V under bios and it is indicated as 1.2250V in all monitoring apps.

it shall reach atleast 1.25V

keep trying.

although lowest Vcore was some 1.1750V prime stable for 3hours.. but system used to reboot sometimes out of the blues at idle. couldn't understand the reason and the same continued upt 1.21V.. selected 1.2350V as a safety measure.

and yes, all 955s are 125W.. as per http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUResult.aspx >> http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUSideBySide.aspx?id=618&id=682&id=532

my v core too is 1.2350V i the bios,wheni run it on 1.1750v get a blu screen sometimes as madnav said.do as madnav said should work out for u. applying mx2 does not change anything thing i too have mx2 applied the temp was the same, the only sol was to lower the vcore,and also turn on (gigabyte) easy energy savr in windows.my comp idles around 32-35 in win with cnq turned on and in the bios i get about 40c

1) I think all power optimizations get disabled when you're in the bio's, so the cpu's running at max speed/voltage.

2) Give the thermal paste time to 'burn in'. In a couple of days your temps should fall a bit.

3) Update the motherboard bios.

The Bios has been updated from Version F1 (default) to Version F3. I am waiting for the G-skill rip jaws 1600Mhz 4gb kit to show up as well as the Artic Cooling MX 2 thermal paste. Both the items should arrive by 5pm today. I will run prime 95 later.

How do I lower the core voltage of the CPU? Are these the settings which will help me do lower it?

IMG_0140 by geekgamer_27, on Flickr

Even if I lower it by 0.250 V it still shows the same value as shown below. What to do?

IMG_0176 by geekgamer_27, on Flickr

enable Sysytem Voltage control to change Vcore. (Which is set to AUTO as per the pics)

Disable CPU Smart Fan Control

Disable System Smart Fan Control

goto windows and report the temps, there is some load on the CPU in BIOS.

since u're using an aftermarket TIM, it takes sometime to set/cure. TBH idle temps really don't matter

Back