Car & Bike Mahindra XUV700

Wrt FE, it may actually not be as bad as people are thinking since the 7OO is about 160kg lighter than outgoing 5OO. Combine that with at least some gains in efficiencies (compared to 5OO wrt engine tuning), and I don't think it should be too hard to get at least 10kmpl in city. For context - used to have an Octavia 1.8 TSI (prev gen, the one before the split headlamps), and it gave over 10.5kmpl in city and 16+ on highways if driven carefully.
And apparently according to team bhp "it has better roadside manners than harrier/safari"
Well, at least one party seems to have benefitted from Ford Mahindra partnership ;)

Last edited:
Wrt FE, it may actually not be as bad as people are thinking since the 7OO is about 160kg lighter than outgoing 5OO. Combine that with at least some gains in efficiencies (compared to 5OO wrt engine tuning), and I don't think it should be too hard to get at least 10kmpl in city. For context - used to have an Octavia 1.8 TSI (prev gen, the one before the split headlamps), and it gave over 10.5kmpl in city and 16+ on highways if driven carefully.
I still think it'll be bad in xuv 700 since it's a lot heavier and more powerful than that Octavia. Hope they reveal arai figures or someone tests real world FE before booking starts in October.

So the reviews are out and all seem to be positive. Looks like they've improved a lot on driving dynamics and stability over the 500, safety wise it's supposedly better than the old one and the GNCAP testing will be done
once the production starts and they're promising very good ratings. And apparently according to team bhp "it has better roadside manners than harrier/safari"

Now the only question remaining is FE for the petrol and I couldn't see any niggles or build quality issues from the videos but many are suggesting not to be a first buyer of a new Mahindra.
It will always have a better handling because it is not Ladder on Frame but a Monocoque. These are always good handlers, along with AWD will be good. I have driven one in the hills and I know it is a beast of a car.

It will always have a better handling because it is not Ladder on Frame but a Monocoque. These are always good handlers, along with AWD will be good. I have driven one in the hills and I know it is a beast of a car.
Old one supposedly has issues with suspension/handling not sure which one but this one seems to be improved by a lot. So much so that some reviewers are comparing it with the Germans.

Anyone has any idea if unofficial booking with dealers is better than ourselves booking it online when booking officially opens? I read that even the dealers themselves book online only after the official bookings open, not sure if it's true.

Old one supposedly has issues with suspension/handling not sure which one but this one seems to be improved by a lot. So much so that some reviewers are comparing it with the Germans.

Anyone has any idea if unofficial booking with dealers is better than ourselves booking it online when booking officially opens? I read that even the dealers themselves book online only after the official bookings open, not sure if it's true.
Unofficially, booking has started.

This one piqued my interest but given history of Gen 1 Mahindras and general lack of refinement in fit and finish of MnM vehicles, would skip this for my first car. Looking to buy one around Diwali and currently considering Seltos under 15lac bracket. Anything better, can't seem to find. Need is to ferry 4-5 people comfortably with 4-5 suitcases in the back.

This one piqued my interest but given history of Gen 1 Mahindras and general lack of refinement in fit and finish of MnM vehicles, would skip this for my first car. Looking to buy one around Diwali and currently considering Seltos under 15lac bracket. Anything better, can't seem to find. Need is to ferry 4-5 people comfortably with 4-5 suitcases in the back.
Checkout MG Astor too. I'd buy that too if it comes with gncap rating as it's "heavily localised" unlike their zs ev which came in ckd route.

Buy a second hand Innova or Fortuner instead of a new Seltos. At least, that's what I would do.

Checkout MG Astor too. I'd buy that too if it comes with gncap rating as it's "heavily localised" unlike their zs ev which came in ckd route.
Buy a second hand Innova or Fortuner instead of a new Seltos. At least, that's what I would do.
Given the general bad press and low sales volume, I'll stay away from MG. As I'll be making the purchase prior to my wedding, I cannot opt for pre-owned route. Plus, pre-owned in vehicles is always a tricky thing and more so when it comes to cars such as Fortuner and Innova especially here in North India, where probability of abuse with the vehicle is high owing to the general type of people who buy it here.

Given the general bad press and low sales volume, I'll stay away from MG. As I'll be making the purchase prior to my wedding, I cannot opt for pre-owned route. Plus, pre-owned in vehicles is always a tricky thing and more so when it comes to cars such as Fortuner and Innova especially here in North India, where probability of abuse with the vehicle is high owing to the general type of people who buy it here.
And base model innovas have very high resale value. Better to go for a new inniva gx auto. Seltos, creta et al can’t sit 5 comfortably.

Take a look at Nexon and Vitara Brezza as well as they have good GNCAP scores. As does XUV300. I know that you maybe looking to buy something in the higher budget and a little more spacious but I personally don't like the Kia or Hyundai offerings and there isn't much in this space which isn't overpriced for what it offers. Unfortunately, Tata decided to discontinue the Hexa which would have been my second choice after an Innova.

Another car which is from the lower budget stable is the Maruti Ertiga or XL6 which are fantastic family vehicles as well.

Maruti Ertiga or XL6 they have high waiting period. XUV 300 D is the car to have but that the boot space. Freestyle diesel for four people and brezza with CNG kit .But than if you are mileage muncher and travelling is within the city and outskirts NEXON EV or TATA ev could be game changers

My main usage would not be as a daily driver but rather a family mover, along with luggage, over long distance, for long weekends, over distances more than 150Km one side. I'm from N-E Haryana and my destinations will include PB, HP and N-W Rajasthan.

My main usage would not be as a daily driver but rather a family mover, along with luggage, over long distance, for long weekends, over distances more than 150Km one side. I'm from N-E Haryana and my destinations will include PB, HP and N-W Rajasthan.
What's your budget? Best people mover is an Innova Crysta IMO. And the Ertiga or XL6 in the lower segment.

What's your budget? Best people mover is an Innova Crysta IMO. And the Ertiga or XL6 in the lower segment.
15 lakh is the upper limit. Don't want MUV type vehicle. Been looking at compact SUVs till now but won't mind a good sedan either if it comes in the price.

15 lakh is the upper limit. Don't want MUV type vehicle. Been looking at compact SUVs till now but won't mind a good sedan either if it comes in the price.
MUVs are a lot more comfortable when moving people and luggage. My BiL bought an Ertiga 2 years back for the same purpose despite having a Figo for his daily drive.
If you are interested in Sedans, the Maruti Ciaz is a very good contender due to the space it offers. Nexon and Brezza are good options as well in the compact SUV/Crossover section as is S-Cross, if they are still selling that car.

Are you looking to settle for lower trims and upgrade the segment. Generally people prefer buying top models of lower segment vehicles as they come with all the bells and whistles. If Indian cars came with 6 Airbags in the lowest trims, then I would buy them with eyes closed but unfortunately one has to buy higher trims for better safety features.

Back