Maria Sharapova doesn't know Sachin Tendulkar - do you care?

I don`t know in which context she has made those remarks, but they share a "Sports" family tag and should know each other, at least by names.

no one is obliged to know about other sports persons. That's your opinion only.

And yes during the 3 lines you have written all names you mentioned were "first time heard" ones.

you should watch the Olympics more.

Don`t put comments against cricket or fans or even Sachin, just because you don`t follow cricket. The thread wasn`t about that !

that didn't stop you from berating another sports person did it?

I don`t follow football at all but never said anything against it because I respect others choices and interests too.

still you found it shameful for some one not to know another sports person? hmm... what sort of respect is that?

Answers in quotes :)

Russian cricket team was registered with ICC in 2012 and still not a popular game there. How could she expected to know about Sachin or any other cricketer around the world so soon?

Answers in quotes :)

Totally agree about what you say, even I didn`t give damn about her saying so but surely can`t see people who don`t like cricket or Sachin using absurd language (specially the f word) about them. It simply pisses me off.

This has happened earlier as well. Technology fans don`t follow cricket for sure.

Last edited:
MS doesn't know who Sachin is; Sachin might not know who Gostha Paul was: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gostha_Paul
That's fine I guess. Had she been a cricketer, then it could have raised eyebrows.[DOUBLEPOST=1404374821][/DOUBLEPOST]
How many of you criticizing her know all the world famous sports persons? Do you guys know who are famous in baseball in USA or Japan? Do you know who is world famous in curling in Canada or Sweden? Do you know names of ice skating champions in Netherlands?
Does your god Sachin even know or heard of them?
Go ahead and make fun of his IQ now...

Cricket fanbois are the worst. Period.

+100

I know about Tiger Woods, yet Golf is a game which I utterly loathe and never saw and ever won't! You don't need to follow a game, simple newspaper reading and nowadays internet surfing tells you almost anything.
Cricket is a sport, Sachin is a legend of that, Sharapova plays tennis, which is also a sport and AFAIK every sport person at least holds some knowledge about other sports and when someone reaches top of a sport then the other sportsman knows about him / her automatically. Yeah if she didn't know Ajit Agarkar I wouldn't care, but Sachin, really? But still I won't blame her entirely, it's where she lives the culprit.

Cricket still is my favourite sports and always will be, yet I haven't watched cricket since IPL started, I haven't watched cricket in past three years if not more, and I won't unless it comes back as a proper game as I used to know it. So it's meaningless to bring the fanboyism factor here, completely irrelevant!

Stupid reaction from us Indians. We are just tarnishing our image by behaving like this. Sharapova doesn't know who Sachin is, SO What? How is it going to matter to anybody? Cricket is only famous in a dozen countries.

I know about Tiger Woods, yet Golf is a game which I utterly loathe and never saw and ever won't! You don't need to follow a game, simple newspaper reading and nowadays internet surfing tells you almost anything.
Cricket is a sport, Sachin is a legend of that, Sharapova plays tennis, which is also a sport and AFAIK every sport person at least holds some knowledge about other sports and when someone reaches top of a sport then the other sportsman knows about him / her automatically.

I suggest we have an annual exam for all sports persons to test their knowledge. Who hit the most home runs in baseball, who scored the most number of first class centuries in cricket, who won this years MVP at the Super Bowl etc. Anyone failing should be kicked out and should not be allowed to play in the future.

I’m shocked and ashamed the same time at the intensity of the profanity-laced rants by the so-called fans that haven’t spared a single photo on her facebook page. It was disgusting to see the character assault by a few prigs, who seemed rankled by her dressing style. Apparently, Sharapova will now know who Sachin Tendulkar is, and is not likely to forget ever again - the virtual vandals taught her that in the meanest possible way, thereby tarnishing the very name of their idol.

I cannot but think what fault Sharapova has done. Is it a sin not to be familiar with the name of a famous sportsperson? Last Saturday, when Sachin sat in the Royal Box at Wimbledon, there were several other sports personalities along with him, including Sir Bobby Charlton, David Beckham, Bradley Wiggins, Chris Robshaw, etc., to name a few. I have to confess that I am not familiar with the name Robshaw or Wiggins, for I’m not an ardent follower of rugby or cycling. I’m sure many of us don’t. Now, is that a crime?

Another ridiculous argument of these haters is that since Sharapova is a sportsperson, she is supposed to know about Tendulkar, especially since she knows who Beckham is. Are we at the liberty to question her knowledge here? What if she isn’t familiar with Sir Bobby Charlton, the legendary footballer, who was sitting right beside Beckham in the Royal Box? I really doubt whether Sachin himself is familiar with all the sporting legends in this world.

It seems Maria had said it intentionally, check this link http://penthegame.blogspot.in/2006/11/canon-clicks-sachin.html?m=1

"
Celebrating ten years of existence in India canon has roped in Sachin Tendulkar as its brand ambassador for three years starting Jan 2007. Sachin is the only Indian, and second sports star after Maria Sharapova to represent the company globally. Sachin will promote cannon cameras, printers and office automation systems.

Mr Kazuto Ogawa, President & CEO, Canon Singapore said “Sachin as a person embodies Canon' s image as an innovative and trustworthy brand with a wide appeal.'' We can now expect sachin and sharapova coming together for cannon advertisement .
"

10502159_625723220868555_6124593348215979922_n.jpg

@Being.smart

Although I do see what you are trying to imply here. But admit it, the way we treat certain things, people in other countries don't. It is how there is and has been always so cannot blame them.
If some currency note or coin falls on ground by us, we pick it up and touch it to forehead to signify respect. Same with books.
We tells kids not to touch their feet to any person as that is considered disrespect.
All these things are woven in our culture and that is what we follow.

But don't expect people from other countries to follow the same.

On the other hand,

Guys here are posting as if they care for her more than one who did a splendid job for their own country. No problem with what she said nor with she knowing not knowing. If you are hurt with the postings on fb then defend them their itself, why shout here !

Back