Market Section - Product Pricing n Discussions [NO Price checks]

An HDD/SSD is an exception in this case of course as there is mechanical wear and NAND wear involved. It is actually measurable and hence can be checked.
By item condition it is almost always meant if it's working or not and about physical conditions.
Wear and tear is applicable for all items. We would be remiss if we admit that that is not the case.

Wear and tear is applicable for all items. We would be remiss to admit that that is not the case.
As I said, the "Condition" remark is only for working and physical appearance of any item.
Of course any of us would prefer to buy a used item which doesn't have or have very minor physical usage marks/scratches/dents/cracks etc. That's what it's for.

Don't get confused to include more attributes in the "Condition" remark as all those factors such as the age/warranty etc. have their own separate sections and you can judge from that.

I think product condition is just that, product condition. The product not having warranty doesn't make the product condition bad. That's why warranty is asked separately.

If I have a laptop which has zeeo dents or scratches and looks like new, then I'll put 5/5 even if it's 3 years old. On the other hand, if there's issue with Touchpad/keyboard or visible ageing, I'd rate it lower depending on the extent of the problem. I wouldn't lower the rating simply because the product is old.

In fact, I'd say that would defeat the purpose of this rating. You already know the age and warranty status of the product. The whole idea of this condition question is to know if there are any known issues with the product. If the condition was correlated with age and warranty status, there'd be no point in asking for it since those questions are anyway there.

only for working
Define working condition ? What is that a function of ?
Are we trying to say age, wear and tear ( may not be always visible ) and usage has nothing to do with it or are we just saying that if it works the first day and doesn't work the second day, that is still a 5/5 in your book ?
If the condition was correlated with age and warranty status, there'd be no point in asking for it since those questions are anyway there.
So you are saying that there is no correlation between those and the "working" condition of the item ? Then there is no difference between a sealed new item and a 10 year old which still works.
I can say that the logic makes sense if the item is sealed in original packaging and not used but the warranty still got over.

Define working condition ? What is that a function of ?
Are we trying to say age, wear and tear ( may not be always visible ) and usage has nothing to do with it or are we just saying that if it works the first day and doesn't work the second day, that is still a 5/5 in your book ?
Man... you're really stretching this discussion into an argument.

Working condition simply means if it works as intended by the manufacturer or not, that's it.
Why are you trying to include other factors into item condition which specifically defines only operation and physical appearance (not just here but on every other marketplace be it commercial or community run) when those other factors have their own fields/sections?

I don't really have the time and energy to continue this but not sure what you're trying to achieve here.

Also a sealed item is not a used item by definition but something which is just a 2nd hand new item. Value depreciation will be based on item age and warranty remaining.

So you are saying that there is no correlation between those and the "working" condition of the item ?
There is. I'm saying that you already have that information. If you think a processor lasts for 5 years, and the person says that it's been used for 3, then you already know it has another 2 years left. Why would you then want the seller to factor this into the condition.

Let's say I have two laptops, both 5 years old. One was sparsely used, used with extreme care and was always kept in cover when not in use. No dents scratches or physical issues at all, just 5 years old. Another which just lay open at all times, dust accumulation caused keyboard to malfunction and heating issues where it shuts down on being stressed. Touchpad is erratic and screen has a yellow tinge in one corner. But still functional for day to day use.

If I were to rate the first as 3/5 just because its 5 years old, and the second as 2/5 since you anyway expect some issues with 5 year old laptop, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of this rating?

You can have the same items of the same age in vastly different conditions depending on how they were used and how good a care the user took of it. And that's what this question is supposed to answer, not the age or warranty status.

Man... you're really stretching this discussion into an argument.

Working condition simply means if it works as intended by the manufacturer or not, that's it.
Why are you trying to include other factors into item condition which specifically defines only operation and physical appearance (not just here but on every other marketplace be it commercial or community run) when those other factors have their own fields/sections?

I don't really have the time and energy to continue this but not sure what you're trying to achieve here.
Well we can agree to disagree. And if a counter query seems like an argument then I don't have anything else to say.
I was trying to differentiate between a "condition" rating for a new sealed item and an old used one. It seems that according to you all there is none.
If I were to rate the first as 3/5 just because its 5 years old, and the second as 2/5 since you anyway expect some issues with 5 year old laptop, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of this rating?
Why ? It would simply indicate to the buyer not to expect the working condition to be identical to what he would get if is buying the same item as brand new or in this case, based on the age and kind of use or abuse. I always thought that the working condition implied usability over a reasonable period of time based on the avg. lifetime of the product.
This has been an eye opener for me at least, after all these years. Damn, I had it all wrong. I will rate the condition as 5/5 for all the items I intend to sell going forward since I take excellent care of the stuff I own, so much so they would be good as new.

Last edited:
I was trying to differentiate between a "condition" rating for a new sealed item and an old used one. It seems that according to you all there is none.

Why ? It would simply indicate to the buyer not to expect the working condition to be identical to what he would get if is buying the same item as brand new, in this case the age.
From what you are saying wear should be factored in and not just cosmetic condition and known problems/defects. If the wear can be measured like HDD health parameters, SSD wear, Battery cycles etc and the effect of the wear can be noticed during the useful lifespan of the item then it makes sense to factor it into the condition.

But if it's something like a processor, then we do not have any way of knowing how much the silicon has degraded and it would likely not matter during the useful life of the processor.

If wear is not measurable but could possibly affect the item's longevity (Such as old PSUs), then we just have to make our own judgements on a case by case basis with the information available to us. Instead of knocking down the rating, we should expect the seller to honestly disclose how the item was used and for how long. Based on that, it should be left to the buyer to decide the remaining longevity.

I always thought that the working condition implied usability over a reasonable period of time based on the avg. lifetime of the product.
If that were the case, then this question would be completely redundant as it is already answered by the age of the product question

Indeed. It is redundant if it cannot be used to differentiate between an used and a sealed new product.
Lol.. I'm quite surprised myself. I thought the age of the product was enough to differentiate between used and sealed new. I haven't come across a lot of sealed new products which were 3 years old.

Maybe we need to have a a multiple rating system. Again, I don't know if it is possible with the forum software. but like

Cosmetic/Physical
Functional

I agree with gourav's points. But also, packed brand new is a separate selection for condition, implying that a 5/5 is not necessarily a brand new, sealed item.

1657298255097.png

Lol.. I'm quite surprised myself. I thought the age of the product was enough to differentiate between used and sealed new. I haven't come across a lot of sealed new products which were 3 years old.
Not too late someone sold one product which was sealed for past 5 yrs. I did asked him the reason though but unable to recall that thread. It was sometime last year. He was unsure whether to sell or keep etc.
I agree with gourav's points. But also, packed brand new is a separate selection for condition, implying that a 5/5 is not necessarily a brand new, sealed item.

View attachment 138959
Depends. Sealed can be termed 5/5 or min 4/5.

I have few stuff a decade old as well which are still 5/5 but given only the age factor can list them as 4/5.
Maybe we need to have a a multiple rating system. Again, I don't know if it is possible with the forum software. but like

Cosmetic/Physical
Functional
Possible but will be too much on a complex process. Not all buyers will be comfortable as in unsure what comes under what and a new rant might begin..
Hence forum has kept it simple.

Not too late someone sold one product which was sealed for past 5 yrs. I did asked him the reason though but unable to recall that thread. It was sometime last year. He was unsure whether to sell or keep etc.

Depends. Sealed can be termed 5/5 or min 4/5.

I have few stuff a decade old as well which are still 5/5 but given only the age factor can list them as 4/5.

Possible but will be too much on a complex process. Not all buyers will be comfortable as in unsure what comes under what and a new rant might begin..
Hence forum has kept it simple.

Wait what. Hope one is how the product looks and one is how it functions. Ratings in general though for something like this will always be all over the place. A proper description will always triumph over a numerical/alphabetical rating.

Back