Mass Effect 3 - Discussion Thread

The good times have begun!
<

Played for 5 hours yesterday and although the game kicked off for a slow start, it picked up pace gradually. Completed the first few priority missions and a couple of side missions. Took my own sweet time to take a tour of the Normandy and get myself acquainted with her interiors and her new crew. Went and personally met all of them whom Shepard could interact with. This also rewards us with +2 reputation points (not that it mattered anyway). There are a lot of things to be done inside the ship. Get into a friendly brawl with James, flirt with the new PA near the CIC, collect the several scale models of space ships strewn around the decks (which would later be displayed at Shepard's cabin), upgrade the equipment at the armory on the shuttle bay, chase a space hamster near the subdeck stairwell at the engg. bay etc. All the locations onboard the Normandy gave me instant nostalgic flashbacks about my old crew. The soundtrack that plays when the Galaxy map is activated gave me goosebumps - I just love that track so much!
<

There were a few changes as well. Women's restroom is now permanently locked and Shepard (male i.e.) cannot access it anymore (we were able to do that in ME 2 and EDI would gently tell Shepard about the men's restroom on the other side!). Cabins have been rearranged. Initially I wasn't able to speak to EDI at the bridge where Joker was seated. This changes later on and you'd be shocked when you realise what happens with her!
<

Combat has been refined and plays much like Gears of War with the cover system in place. The heavy melee kicks ass and is very useful against those low-level Reaper units such as husks. Improvements to the equipment also reflect during combat. Recruited Dr. Michel from the Citadel and an Alliance news reporter Diana Allers (Jessica Chobot, the previous host of IGN's Daily Fix!). She looks hawt! But I prefer Ash over her any day. I am really shocked at Cerberus' present strategy now!

Half day today woot! Can't wait to get back home.

I see in Journal that i have get confidence of other societies to save the Earth and there are several missions in Journal but the game says if i dont get the confidence of others quickly the reliance of other parties would deteriorate so should i just go and try to build confidence and get all together to save the Earth or should i continue doing side missions by which i can add more allies which i guess would help in final fight by doing side mission the confidence would deteriorate due to amount of time spent on side mission so which is a better option here.

There were a few changes as well. Women's restroom is now permanently locked and Shepard (male i.e.) cannot access it anymore (we were able to do that in ME 2 and EDI would gently tell Shepard about the men's restroom on the other side!).

Dude. Seriously?!
<
Of all the awesome things in ME, THIS is what you look forward to doing?
<

The planet scanning thing is finally refined to a bearable level. Not as repetitive and boring as in ME 1 & 2. Still could be better though if it kept a track of areas within a system that you've already scanned.

Dude. Seriously?!
<
Of all the awesome things in ME, THIS is what you look forward to doing?
<

I mean that was something nasty I used to always do in ME 2 although the toilet never had any occupants.
<

Reached home. Resuming the playthrough in a while. As always, the side missions get more priority in an RPG game for me.

The planet scanning thing is finally refined to a bearable level. Not as repetitive and boring as in ME 1 &amp; 2. Still could be better though if it kept a track of areas within a system that you've already scanned.

Yeah! That's one thing, I didn't understand for this game. It's said that we need to hit the scan button and it will start scanning the vicinity for resources. But if we spend too much time, the repeapers will be alerted and if they arrive, we need to haul ass and wait till they leave? Am I getting this correctly?

Anyone

I see in Journal that i have get confidence of other societies to save the Earth and there are several missions in Journal but the game says if i dont get the confidence of others quickly the reliance of other parties would deteriorate so should i just go and try to build confidence and get all together to save the Earth or should i continue doing side missions by which i can add more allies which i guess would help in final fight by doing side mission the confidence would deteriorate due to amount of time spent on side mission so which is a better option here.

Yeah! That's one thing, I didn't understand for this game. It's said that we need to hit the scan button and it will start scanning the vicinity for resources. But if we spend too much time, the repeapers will be alerted and if they arrive, we need to haul ass and wait till they leave? Am I getting this correctly?

Yeah for every scan u do in a particular system, the reaper alertness increases and once they arrive you can safely come back only after you complete a mission elsewhere. What I didn't like was that if you don't get 100% assets in a system the first time, you don't know which area to scan the next time you come back unless you remember the areas you've scanned.

On a different note, I'm 10 hours into the game and the pace has definitely picked up! And already some very difficult choices had to be made
<

EDIT: That also reminds me of this
<

Yeah for every scan u do in a particular system, the reaper alertness increases and once they arrive you can safely come back only after you complete a mission elsewhere. What I didn't like was that if you don't get 100% assets in a system the first time, you don't know which area to scan the next time you come back unless you remember the areas you've scanned.

Got it. So were you able to successfully scan any particular location? I was never good with the probing part in ME2. How does this scan help?

It'll let you acquire misc war assets and other stuff which people on the Citadel might ask you for. Yeah I was able to scan a few locations and got some interesting assets which I'm sure will help me in their own little way to win the war
<

Just finished the singleplayer....

The multiplayer has an effect on the singleplayer campaign, so play coop as well berfore finishing the game, I didn't
<

Please read this

It says, you don't have to play multiplayer to get the best ending. Multiplayer affects the galactic readiness rating, which stays at 50% if you don't play it. You can still get the best possible ending by collecting most, if not all war assets in the single player. Collecting war assets affects your military strength. You can look at both of these stats in the war room on Normandy.

Makes sense too. Multiplayer was included in this game to attract the FPS market. Pure RPG fans won't go there. And most FPS fans won't have the patience to sit through all the side quests
<
But it's not fair to deprive any of them of the best ending, so makes sense that there's two ways to do it.

Hello , Will mass effect 3 run smoothly on Radeon HD4850/ Intel C2D E7300 / 2 GB Ram.

Asking because had difficulty (almost non playable) in playing the demo.

Please read this

It says, you don't have to play multiplayer to get the best ending. Multiplayer affects the galactic readiness rating, which stays at 50% if you don't play it. You can still get the best possible ending by collecting most, if not all war assets in the single player. Collecting war assets affects your military strength. You can look at both of these stats in the war room on Normandy.

Makes sense too. Multiplayer was included in this game to attract the FPS market. Pure RPG fans won't go there. And most FPS fans won't have the patience to sit through all the side quests
<
But it's not fair to deprive any of them of the best ending, so makes sense that there's two ways to do it.

Galaxy readiness can be improved by scanning and gathering artifacts, mine is right now around 70% have not touched MP yet.

By the way anyone interested in joining for multiplayer just want to give it a shot ?

Strange. Gathering an artifact didn't affect my galactic readiness at all. Did you play that iOS game by any chance?
<

Anyway I'm going to stick with what that Bioware guy said and will try getting the perfect ending with single player alone.

EDIT - Few more hours into the game and I'm starting to get disappointed. Dialog choices are minimal. Cut scenes go along with very little interaction from me. This game's even more of a third person shooter than ME2.

Back