Mass Effect/Mass Effect 2 - Discussion thread

Gannu

Unbanned
ex-Mod
Alright let me confess - this is possibly my first foray into an RPG game. TBH, I haven't been impressed by this genre's long narratives, character development sequences and cutscenes. Although Borderlands had a faint touch of the RPG genre, I quite liked that game.

Since the Mass Effect series seemed to garner a lot of positive reviews and critical acclaim, I gave it a shot couple of days back. And things have been picking up pace ever since. :D

ATM, I have a squad comprising Shepard (duh!) with Garrus, Ashley, Kaidan and Tali'Zorah nar Rayya. I choose to move around with Garrus and Kaidan very often.

As of now I have completed the missions at Noveria. i.e. Matriarch Benezia and the battle that ensues further. There's one thing though. I released that Rachni queen. Hope this does not adversely affect the gameplay. :p

I wish the game had a better map in the standard HUD rather than clicking J and finding the location each time. This has left me confused coople of times. The only sad part otherwise seems to be those long narratives.

Any pointers otherwise?

Enjoy the game to the fullest. Play any and all side missions you find and the last mission will be a walk in the park.

Good luck..

PS: try to keep that chick happy. You might get a reward later on. :p

Desecrator said:
I wish the game had a better map in the standard HUD rather than clicking J and finding the location each time. This has left me confused coople of times. The only sad part otherwise seems to be those long narratives.

Any pointers otherwise?

Meessa playing MF1 ATM, :D We both are pretty much on the same lines i guess. I have completed that Feros thingy and right concentrating on side quests and making lot of money :D

BTW, you don't have to press J to find the location , you can just press M .

PS: I feel they could have made that Shepherd be able to run(non battle)

^But the map hardly shows us where to go w.r.t each objective. I mean all I see is the elevator locations in bright yellow. :|

Yeah Shepard should have the ability to sprint faster. He runs alright but sprinting akin to what he does during the combat mode is what he should have otherwise. Nice game nevertheless. The council reviewed the decision after I let the queen out and I hope I do not regret later on. :ashamed:

Thanks for the inputs mojo. :)

Desecrator said:
^But the map hardly shows us where to go w.r.t each objective. I mean all I see is the elevator locations in bright yellow. :|

While your mission is activated you get an X mark . If you move your cursor there , it will display corresponding task. Which squad do you generally prefer? I mainly change it according to the situation.

i loved both the games, 2nd one especially. Although the basic story remains the same, every person can have a different experience based on what actions they choose to perform.

Releasing the Rachni queen does not affect the story. But I have read in some Mass Effect forum that it initiates a sex cut scene between Shepard and Liari T'Soni if you have conversed enough with her. Sadly, I never got any sex in the first game :(. Also, The meeting with Matriarch Benazia will be completely different when you have Liari T'Soni along with you.

Also, as this game is a RPG keep upgrading yourself and team members. Keep an eye on your level and ablities. I landed on Therum before going to Novaria and got stuck in the famous 'Krogan Battlemaster' fight. If you fight him at Level 10 and without any biotic partner, it is almost pain in the ass to defeat him. I had to rough it out 3 days to get out.

I gave up the game in mid since i was stucked at Space docking station and i didn't know how can i get out.

dinjo said:
I gave up the game in mid since i was stucked at Space docking station and i didn't know how can i get out.
use cheats, guides, walkthrough's , but get out of it. The game is really amazing, don't miss out on it.

@sugat123

I don't use cheats got my skills.Don't think i will the game now, especially after getting Xbox 360 ;-)

dinjo said:
@sugat123
I don't use cheats got my skills.Don't think i will the game now, especially after getting Xbox 360 ;-)
well...you understood my statement wrongly. I was saying use some tricks to get out if you are stuck. Just dont leave the game half away.

I really loved Mass Effect 1 and now I'm playing Mass Effect 2 atm.

Wrt the Map. If I press and hold 'M' it shows me my objective in missions but in Free Roam on any station, I'm having difficult moving around. I have to keep opening the map to see whether to go next. Any tips?

Also, below is one reason why I hate playing RPG games. I keep wondering if I made the right decision :lol:. Anyways, my question is -to anyone who finished ME2->
At the end of the rescue Miranda's twin sister mission, you and Miranda find out that her friend Nikit had actually betrayed her and was helping Miranda's father kidnap Miranda's sister. At the end of the confrontation part, Miranda raises her gun to kill him ....

There you get an option to stop her from shooting him (Paragon action). I reacted late and she already fired the shot and killed him. My question is- What happens if you stop her from shooting Nikit? That bothers me as I didn't want Miranda killing him in the first place.

RD274 said:
Wrt the Map. If I press and hold 'M' it shows me my objective in missions but in Free Roam on any station, I'm having difficult moving around. I have to keep opening the map to see whether to go next. Any tips?

[/SPOILER]

Well if you are talking about Mass Effect 2. The map is really not required, all missions are linear. I don't remember using map in Mass Effect 2.

Yes, missions are quite linear but free roam navigation is difficult. For example, while in planet A I have 3 missions available. To get to each mission location I have to keep opening the map to see where I'm going as there are no markers or guides in mini-map. GTA (as an example), each mission start point is marked with an alphabet.

Anyways thats my only complaint .... loving the game otherwise.

Leveled Shepard to 35. :D

Saved Ashley instead of Kaidan back in Virmire, for you know what. :ashamed:

Loving the title completely. This game has some awesome one liners as well. Ashley Williams: Why is it whenever someone says "with all due respect", they really mean "kiss my ass"? :lol:

Finished ME2 ....

Flight through the nebula portal was alright but screwed up bad in the last mission. Half my crew died ... :sad:

RD274 said:
Finished ME2 ....

Flight through the nebula portal was alright but screwed up bad in the last mission. Half my crew died ... :sad:
Welcome to my world. :bleh:

Can I ask
Which crew members died?

Finished MF 1 couple of minutes back. :D

Did anyone take accept Liara as the companion rather than Ashley.Will Shepherd say " bunk with me" with that alien ? :p

Back