Max range router for 3000sq ft residence. Budget 10k.

And when can you get to the site to do a survey ?

We are less blind but still deaf.

How thick are the walls btw.

And when can you get to the site to do a survey ?

We are less blind but still deaf.

How thick are the walls btw.

Will try and do it tomorrow, but there is no power available, so I cant test the range, only the other networks and channels. The internal walls are 4-4.5 inches thick.

Will try and do it tomorrow, but there is no power available, so I cant test the range, only the other networks and channels. The internal walls are 4-4.5 inches thick.
That will give a partial picture, yeah, do it. Note the number of networks, on which channel they operate on and their dbm as you move around the flat. Some will appear stronger in some parts of the house than others.

To give you an idea, here is a first stab, with just one router, a guesstimate of range.

Blue circle has a radius of 15 feet for 5 ghz coverage
Red circle has a radius of 30 feet for 2.4 ghz coverage

jaskufloorplanidea2.png

You get 5ghz in the family living room but it will be weak in the formal living room and the master bedroom. Weak means SD will just work, 720p is iffy and no 1080p.

Web browsing on 2.4ghz should work anywhere in the house.

Now how this guesstimate matches up will only be known when you do a range test as that will serve to calibrate somewhat. Whether 1 router or two is required cannot be really answered otherwise.

- - - Updated - - -

Repeater networks don't work for HD streaming under any circumstances. Only a wired AP will.
Yep, been trying to dodge the wired requirement for now.

All we know is there is a ethernet drop from bedroom-3 to family living room.

How easy it will be to lay cable in other rooms needs to be known. Ideally all the streaming would be done through wire.

Is it possible to get a wire up to the master bedroom and formal living room ?

Is this a rented place or your own Jasku ?

Another downside of using a repeater is, that you will have a WPS connection that uses WEP encryption and that is a potential security risk. Easy to crack the password and for others to gain access to the network.

OP should ignore this, all current generation, as well as DDWRT based devices support and are easily configured for repeater mode support WPA2

I have sufficient coverage and bandwidth, the link was of academic interest specially when comparing the V2 and V3 (I have the V2) an the internal structure.

I can't use DD-WRT. I have V1 of the router with 4MB ROM, DD-WRT only supports V2 onwards. I do know there is a version out there which works with the older V1, but not keen to experiment.
So which WNDR3700 do you have ?

V1 or V2

Guys, I am back, we have shifted to this place, and I had bought the RT N56U, which placed besides the corridor and family living room, the problem is I get not signal in my room which is bedroom 3, marked in the layout above. I want to install a repeater in the Formal living area, please suggest one for me, I was thinking of N13U B1 or the 1043ND.

Any way for you to run a ethernet cable from the corridor to the formal living room ?

if you can do that then the n13 setup as AP should do the rest.

Any way for you to run a ethernet cable from the corridor to the formal living room ?

if you can do that then the n13 setup as AP should do the rest.

I am not sure, it may be a possibility, because I did have LAN cables run through the entire to the rooms, but I did not include the formal living room. The other possible option would be to place the AP in the master bedroom and hope that the signal becomes accessible via the windows?

Either ways, should I go out and get the N13U? I was also considering the N12 LX cause it has external antennae that can be upgraded if needed. Any suggestions of routers with external antennae?

I am not sure, it may be a possibility, because I did have LAN cables run through the entire to the rooms, but I did not include the formal living room.
can you list out all the rooms that have ethernet cable sockets in them ?

The other possible option would be to place the AP in the master bedroom and hope that the signal becomes accessible via the windows?
Mater bedroom at the top has to reach bedroom 3 at the bottom ? Too far.

can you list out all the rooms that have ethernet cable sockets in them ?

Mater bedroom at the top has to reach bedroom 3 at the bottom ? Too far.

I am quite positive that all the bedrooms have it bro, maybe bedroom 1 in that case?

What is the sweet-spot signal strength(in terms of dB) to place a repeater, I did not get much with a first pass Google search.

Its clear to me you're not sure which bedrooms have a connection. Can you verify that first.

Go to the house make an inventory of where the sockets are present and where they are not.

You want to get it done with an AP instead of a repeater as you won't lose half the speed. Since you say you have wired the house up for ethernet already. Why use a repeater in that case ?

You need a socket to plug the n56 to and another to plug the AP to.

Its clear to me you're not sure which bedrooms have a connection. Can you verify that first.

Go to the house make an inventory of where the sockets are present and where they are not.

You want to get it done with an AP instead of a repeater as you won't lose half the speed. Since you say you have wired the house up for ethernet already. Why use a repeater in that case ?

You need a socket to plug the n56 to and another to plug the AP to.

The guy said he internally wired with a 4 ply wire, which 2 will be for phone and other 2 for the LAN, I need to get the plugs installed on the wires, in the mean while I went out and bought the TP Link WR941ND, have been trying to use it in WDS mode, but something is not right, I managed to get it to get internet connection but its really slow, and page doesnt load fully. I also tried the vice versa, but the N56U would get lost(unable to login to the router settings page) after I disabled its DHCP.

Here are the steups:

1) Put them on the same channel
2) Removed security
3) Both router set to 20/40MHz

Modem ip - 192.168.1.1

N56U - Main router connected to ADSL modem - IP/SSID/DHCP - 192.168.2.1/Jasku/192.168.2.2- 254
TL941ND - WDS - IP/SSID/DHCP - 198.168.2.2/Jasku1/disabled - Added the N56U SSID and MAC. ( Also worked with a different subnet i.e.TL941ND with 192.168.0.1)

Am able to ping the N56U while connected to the TL, but after sometime, the connection drops, have bad latency, after a while I get 'no internet access' on the TP941ND, and then when I connect it works for sometime.

The vice verse configuring the N56U was difficult, as soon as I put the router in the same subnet as the main router (TPLInk) and disable the DHCP in the Asus, I could not login to the Asus router page, within the Asus I chose the 'Hybrid' mode to connect to the TPLink AP, if I choose 'WDS' only, the SSID of the Asus merges with the TPLink.

I am not sure whats wrong here, can the experts please help out?

The guy said he internally wired with a 4 ply wire, which 2 will be for phone and other 2 for the LAN, I need to get the plugs installed on the wires
Does this mean each room will have an ethernet plug point or not ? if so which ones ?

It would seem i've been over optimistic in my projection for wifi coverage at 2.4Ghz. The real coverage in your home at 2.4Ghz is only a little better than what i had estimated for 5Ghz.

Don't disable DHCP totally, set up a small range of auto-allocate, say 5 IP addresses. If one device cannot connect it will use one of those addresses.

Get this one: http://www.flipkart.com/asus-rt-n66...outer/p/itmd7xkf2ga7f2an?pid=RTRD7XKFDBPBR6CV
I got it for 13545. Prices have increased a bit. It covers my entire 1780 sq ft apartment at the default power of 80. You haver the option to bump it up to 200, at which it should cover you entire house.
Budget was 10k.
House is 3000 sqft
You won't increase range by bumping to 200, , you'll just distort the signal. 70-90 is about the optimum.
See this , doubt n66 would help much here. best is to use an AP. Once he gets back with more info.

Back