Mechanical keyboard purchase help | Is Zebtronics Zeb Max Pro any good?

KrishT

Disciple
Hi forum,

I type at least 60-70k words every month (just for work).

I'm currently using the Cosmic Byte CB 05 Titan keyboard. It's a membrane keyboard, and I really dislike the backspace key on it - it's wobbly, gets stuck, and just gives me a hard time.

I was looking to buy my first mechanical keyboard and immediately removed the TVS Gold from my list of options. The backspace key is small and I won't like it.

The only other decent option I found is the Zebtronics Zeb Max Pro - link - because another content writer seemed to like it.

I don't want to be wrong about this, it's already a little too expensive for my liking, haha.

Can anyone that has it comment on ease of typing and quality?

Also, are there any better options?
I'm willing to spend up to 4k.

Thanks in advance! :D

I the Max Pro is expensive, you can get the Max Plus for 2800

Unfortunately there arent any better optionsd in this budget.

Most of the cheap mechanicals are rebadged clones of each other. I own a Rii K66, and it looks pretty much identical to the Zebronics one, barring some minor keycap changes like the shift keys, and RGB.

Can't be positive that the Zeb uses the same brand of switches or is the same build quality, but to give you a general idea:
The K66 I have uses Oamuhu (sp?) clones of Cherry MX red, and it's not great for typing tbh. Especially after some initial use, the keys are way too mushy and have way too little actuation force. The build quality is pretty solid though, with very little flex. The backlight has given out in patches after a couple of years of use.

It's okay for occasional typing, but for 60k words a month, I'd definitely say go for a proper branded mech that uses Cherry MX.

Hey @calvin1719,

I totally agree with you - but I don't want to be spending upwards of 6k on a keyboard with MX Blues. I'm not on that level yet, haha. :D

So am I stuck with the Zebtronics one and the TVS Gold? I'd buy the Gold, but in addition to having a smaller backspace key, it also lacks multimedia keys. It's just too outdated.

There's also an HP mechanical keyboard that I read @cisco_tech bought, but I'm not sure how it is... @cisco_tech, please leave your two cents in the thread when you get a minute. :D

@nRiTeCh, would love you to share your two cents, too!

If you want genuine cherry MX red switches, this is a decent option, although the layout is slightly weird

Prices have been jacked up since after the lockdown, it's a bad time to be in the market for any new peripheral or component, even the Logi G213 membrane keyboard that used to retail under 3k a year ago is 4k+ these days and the availability of the other ones seems to be low.
FYI if you type a lot you should look at blues and browns as others have already mentioned.
Personally I prefer Reds since they are silent and linear and require low actuation force but as @calvin1719 said they feel mushy and aren't exactly the best for typing.
Even though I like the tactility of the Kailh blues, the clicky sounds while playing FPS is getting on my nerves which is why I want to sell em and go back to reds.

Stick to kbs with Cherry MX, Gateron or Kailh and avoid those no name mass produced kbs on Amazon that look exactly the same as each other.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm struggling to find compelling options in my budget. I think I should wait for a little longer. Thanks, @psyph3r, you da boss.

My CosmicByte keyboard is giving me trouble, so I'll likely get the AmazonBasics keyboard for now, and maybe a wrist rest.

One thing I do need for sure though is a monitor. My neck is killing me staring down at my laptop for hours. I'll make a thread for it sometime soon.

Thanks again guys! :D

I have been using HP GK-320 from last 20-25 days and so far so good. I use it for basic office usage and I found keys are slightly smaller initially as I am used to tvsgold for last 15 years.
But it's a good chnage with all those RGB. [emoji38]

Feedback of keys are not the best but it's good and does give you tactile experience.

Last edited:
I have been using HP GK-302 from last 20-25 days and so far so good. I use it for basic office usage and I found keys are slightly smaller initially as I am used to tvsgold for last 15 years.
But it's a good chnage with all those RGB. [emoji38]

Feedback of keys are not the best but it's good and does give you tactile experience.
Can you share a link to the product page/amazon listing? All I get when I search for this is Farsi websites.

You're very welcome, @Rockfella. Hehe. And thank you for the suggestion!

Unfortunately, Cosmic Byte's support isn't being too responsive. My hopes for a refund or replacement are dwindling. Needless to say, I'm not trusting this brand again.

I've bought the Lenovo chiclet keyboard to reduce strain for now... It'll arrive Monday.

I'll wait till mechanical keyboard prices come down as @psyph3r suggested.

Side note: RIP Chadwick Boseman. Wakanda Forever.

Anyone have any experience with Gamdias products, specifically the Hermes E1?

Back