Meet ChatGPT (Artificial Intelligence), good alternative to Google?

Serious question:Will this replace programmers in the future(say 5 years from now)?
I'm already using Github Copilot. It's a great aid to do paltry, mundane or repetitive tasks. I think we are going to see more and more of AI into programming but still at the end of the day we need someone to proofread the code generated by AI. I'll say most developers will be fine.

In terms of writing entire programs, it can only do what I would term as "sample code" or small (albeit complete/compilable) examples or snippets.

In that sense what it replaces is the googling around to find a snippet that does what you want, from stackoverflow. Whether that's the right thing for you, and how that needs to be plugged into your existing code is still up to you.

Think of it as an intern who can do independently research and execute small sets of tasks for you IF you explain them correctly and IF similar tasks have been done earlier and can be looked up on the internet. It doesn't kick you out of a job, not yet at least.

ChatGPT will cause a lot of job losses - maybe not for software devs - but at least for roles which largely require a proficiency in English - clerks, support staff etc. After countless hours of practice over the course of college level classes last year, I will say this: ChatGPT writes better essays than me. Hell, I would say it writes better than 90% of native English speakers.

I mean...yes,call center jobs/customer support/content writing/essay writing jobs will be the first to be automated.In the context of Software/IT industry,people here think that it will only act as a tool to speed up productivity.

But here's the problem,if an AI tool at it's first model can already perform similar tasks to that of a junior SDE and increases the productivity of existing software devs...why would a company needs to hire 100 SDE/QA/Any other roles? If the model has matured(the next model by openai is said to be trained on a 100x larger data model and is 100x more complex,the scientists who worked on this also said something like "it's light years beyond what GPT-3 is"),companies would just hire say 10 devs along with an openai subscription model cause these 10 devs work as productivily as the usual 100 dev team.

So my thoughts are that,it would definitely shrink the existing market but not straight away replace jobs...this ultimately will make entry level market very very hard to break through.

You might say "Oh,it doesn't matter cause it can't do this or that" but keep in mind that this is just the start,5-10 years from now the whole situation is gonna look drastically different.
I won't even be suprised if concept artists(through midjourney) and content writing(chatgpt) jobs completely disappear within the next 10 years by looking at the pace AI is advancing.

I mean...yes,call center jobs/customer support/content writing/essay writing jobs will be the first to be automated.In the context of Software/IT industry,people here think that it will only act as a tool to speed up productivity.

But here's the problem,if an AI tool at it's first model can already perform similar tasks to that of a junior SDE and increases the productivity of existing software devs...why would a company needs to hire 100 SDE/QA/Any other roles? If the model has matured(the next model by openai is said to be trained on a 100x larger data model and is 100x more complex,the scientists who worked on this also said something like "it's light years beyond what GPT-3 is"),companies would just hire say 10 devs along with an openai subscription model cause these 10 devs work as productivily as the usual 100 dev team.

So my thoughts are that,it would definitely shrink the existing market but not straight away replace jobs...this ultimately will make entry level market very very hard to break through.

You might say "Oh,it doesn't matter cause it can't do this or that" but keep in mind that this is just the start,5-10 years from now the whole situation is gonna look drastically different.
I won't even be suprised if concept artists(through midjourney) and content writing(chatgpt) jobs completely disappear within the next 10 years by looking at the pace AI is advancing.
It won't and can't replace programmers. You'll always need programmers to customize the software for your needs. ChatGPT is just an AI model. It just saw a lot of data and sees the pattern and tries to answer your question and never does so in a specific and complete way. It only guides you and doesn't provide a complete answer/solution.

I know there's gonna be a debate over this and a different opinions but ok listen to this video if you have some time. It's very good and the guy is an IITian and successful good full stack developer as well.

It won't and can't replace programmers. You'll always need programmers to customize the software for your needs. ChatGPT is just an AI model. It just saw a lot of data and sees the pattern and tries to answer your question and never does so in a specific and complete way. It only guides you and doesn't provide a complete answer/solution.

I know there's gonna be a debate over this and a different opinions but ok listen to this video if you have some time. It's very good and the guy is an IITian and successful good full stack developer as well.

I never said it will replace programmers,did I? I said it will shrink the market cause more devs will work more productively with tools like co-pilot/chat gpt...this in turn will decrease the need for SDEs.

A company simply doesn't need 200-300 developers if just 20-30 people do their job productively and speed up the deployment of project.That's the entire point

Now is the time we need to put a big full stop on the unchecked commercial utilisation of the AI. Companies do such things all the time to protect their interests. Why it cannot be done to protect jobs? Elon once said that we need universal basic income in future because everything will be done by AI. These billionaires want to eat everything and want us to be happy because we are allowed to exist and breathe. In digital art, these AI's are literally stealing art from other artists and presenting it as AI art. I don't want a future where an AI will do everything. I want a reverse trend where every job is treated important and small jobs are revived again. The current business model of automation and AI is not feasible and it will collapse. Who will buy the product if there are less and less jobs. Software companies are totally dependent on ads and other companies who sell physical products. Who will buy these products if there aren't any jobs ?

A company simply doesn't need 200-300 developers if just 20-30 people do their job productively and speed up the deployment of project.That's the entire point
If you're saying this then you seem to have literally no idea how a large MNC/organization works. It seems like you're too amazed by the current output of the AI model.
I'll advise you to dig deeper and get more knowledge before making an opinion.

In the future, AI will be able to do job of most of the full stack developer. That's because there's enough code available to train the AI for such projects. But it won't be able to add system level features or fix the bugs of video drivers.

Full stack developers should get into plumbing.

ChatGPT will be for those impatient/foolish people who rely on only one person for all their information and analysis.

Whereas Google and other search engines will expect you to use your brain to fish out info - determine what appears to be false vs correct; I understand that most of humanity doesn't have the intelligence and the patience and motivation to get right information - hence Chat GTP may become very succesful.

Last edited:
If you're saying this then you seem to have literally no idea how a large MNC/organization works. It seems like you're too amazed by the current output of the AI model.
I'll advise you to dig deeper and get more knowledge before making an opinion.
I ain't quoting this myself,just paraphrased opinions from senior SDEs who post on blind(maybe it's fear mongering or whatever) so can you elaborate on what is wrong with what i said?

Maybe i exaggerate the number of 200-300 to 20-30 but 100-120 to 50-60 is possible i guess?

Yeah, this chatbot is going to take our jobs :tearsofjoy:

1673333094899.png

1673333113085.png

1673333467459.png

Yeah, this chatbot is going to take our jobs :tearsofjoy:

It's a language bot/AI. Math is not it was trained on. It is using data/writings on such riddles and spitting out content that it thinks engaged most users. It can write like a real person, or something believably close to it. These are kinks to sort out. Think of it as a toddler who just learned to read and write but not calculate. What is terrifying is that human toddlers have a recorded limit on what they can learn, how much they can retain from that learning and how much they can use from that learning/retaining to solve problems. This thing has no such limits. It will learn math too and who know what else and what happens when it can teach other AI and expand upon its capabilities.

Back