Metro 2033 - Discussion Thread

Re: OFFICIAL Metro 2033 Discussion and Screenshots Thread.

Tried the game and it's exactly like I thought it would be, system raping. On very high settings with DX10 and 4X AAA, it just drops the frames to 17fps. I'm currently playing on Normal with DX9 and no AA. There is serious tearing issues, but the game looks really good. If only these European developers would learn to optimise their games, it would have been so much better.

For people who are familiar with S.T.A.L.K.E.R gameplay, this is very close to it but I haven't seen an RPG element till now. The game is extremely atmospheric and I just reached chapter 2. Each chapter seems to be very short in length. I found Cryostasis better in terms of horror element and the environment. But it's still too early in the game to comment. The creatures so far look like a direct rip off of Hell Knight from Doom III.

Good weapons, character and texture detail. Voice acting is OK'ish. You don't exactly have a HUD to keep a tab of your health. It regenerates when you get hit, but you need to inject a med kit if you deal a higher damage. Objective finding is pretty straight forward, on the 360 controller, it's 'select' button that brings up a map with a built in compass. Follow that, if you're lost in the game a la Far Cry 2.

Worth a try for people who enjoy atmospheric games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Cryostasis and the likes. But make sure you're system is upto the task.

This does not seems to be my type of game.

Ethan_Hunt said:
Tried the game and it's exactly like I thought it would be, system raping. On very high settings with DX10 and 4X AAA, it just drops the frames to 17fps. I'm currently playing on Normal with DX9 and no AA. There is serious tearing issues, but the game looks really good. If only these European developers would learn to optimise their games, it would have been so much better.

For people who are familiar with S.T.A.L.K.E.R gameplay, this is very close to it but I haven't seen an RPG element till now. The game is extremely atmospheric and I just reached chapter 2. Each chapter seems to be very short in length. I found Cryostasis better in terms of horror element and the environment. But it's still too early in the game to comment. The creatures so far look like a direct rip off of Hell Knight from Doom III.

Good weapons, character and texture detail. Voice acting is OK'ish. You don't exactly have a HUD to keep a tab of your health. It regenerates when you get hit, but you need to inject a med kit if you deal a higher damage. Objective finding is pretty straight forward, on the 360 controller, it's 'select' button that brings up a map with a built in compass. Follow that, if you're lost in the game a la Far Cry 2.

Worth a try for people who enjoy atmospheric games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Cryostasis and the likes. But make sure you're system is upto the task.

Thanks for the mini review. I think I will like this. ;)

One of the gameplay videos I checked on youtube HD, it seemed like Splinter Cell 1/2/3 in first person mode, if we go all stealthy. I like games with such atmosphere.

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @stock
ATI HD4850 512MB @stock
Kingston 2GB DDR II 667Mhz Ram
Windows 7 Ultimate

I know it's an outdated hardware, but the optimisation could be done on the game.

^Bugger why is the CPU and GPU on stock speeds? Overclock that CPU already! :p

Desecrator said:
^Bugger why is the CPU and GPU on stock speeds? Overclock that CPU already! :p
I has no overclocking knowledge! :|

STOCKs the new OC baby :D

Btw thnx for the mini review.

I think i'll give this a pass. . anyways BFBC2 isnt leaving much time for anything else. Bada Boom bada Bee !

! 0 t A said:
I think i'll give this a pass. . anyways BFBC2 isnt leaving much time for anything else. Bada Boom bada Bee !

i hardly see you playing bc2 :huh:

Just played the first few levels on this...

It is a resource hog. I have a lappy with a 9600M GT so you can understand why I'm on the lowest setting at 1024x768, but the game looks good even on the lowest settings.

I did not like the gameplay. Sneak around in the darkness, super-scarce ammo, you have to have eagle eyes and a lot of patience to go all over the map to check each nook and cranny for ammo & stuff. Spent so much time to collect ammo, all got used up in a single fight, as the monsters come 30 at a time and require lots of bullets each.

Plus, to know where to go, open up the journal, which takes BOTH your hands, making you an easy meal for the monster mobs around.

Movement feels restricted/buggy, I get stuck at very gentle slopes, cannot jump over small obstacles etc etc. Starting levels have you following a guy and the solo diversions you are forced to take are a major pain.

Perhaps people with good systems can get this. People with low end stuff (e.g a 9600M GT + C2D @2.0 GHz or therabouts) would do better to stay away from this.

I liked Stalker better....

I am not able to pause the game. when i press esc nothing is happening.i have updated the game also still same. did any one face this issue?

Happy Singh said:
I am not able to pause the game. when i press esc nothing is happening.i have updated the game also still same. did any one face this issue?
Works fine out here. In fact I'm on the last chapter and it's extremely frustrating. Totally low on ammo and those bums just rip me to shreds. :(

Ethan_Hunt said:
Works fine out here. In fact I'm on the last chapter and it's extremely frustrating. Totally low on ammo and those bums just rip me to shreds. :(

Crap! Is that on easy mode?

Problem Solved regarding pausing game. just delete the saved files(i just started this game today) and started new campaign.

@TE this game look really crap like GTA 4. I saw few benchamrks on GTX 480 and HD 5870 here VGA performance: Metro 2033 even on 480 and 5870 they are getting 24-35 FPS:mad: on 1920x1200 and on 2560x1600 its 15-20. And what is that Advanced physx option for in game option?

Happy Singh said:
@TE this game look really crap like GTA 4. I saw few benchamrks on GTX 480 and HD 5870 here VGA performance: Metro 2033 even on 480 and 5870 they are getting 24-35 FPS:mad: on 1920x1200 and on 2560x1600 its 15-20.

May be they too have done a bad job with the Engine.

Back