Micromax A70 First Impressions

comp@ddict said:
A software can't unlock what the hardware is physically incapable of.

CM7 is being ported to this?

That is wrong, the SE xperia x10 which came out with stock android 1.6 did not support 720p HD video recording but after it got android 2.1 update, it was able to do that..

sunil1 said:
That is wrong, the SE xperia x10 which came out with stock android 1.6 did not support 720p HD video recording but after it got android 2.1 update, it was able to do that..

THats because the camera module in X10 was already capable of capturing at 720p, only it wasn't software enabled.

It's not the case here.

jijojose79 said:
@joel.monty:Audio?, aditya has given everything in his first review :)

Thanks jijo......but when are you going for this...

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

comp@ddict said:
THats because the camera module in X10 was already capable of capturing at 720p, only it wasn't software enabled.

It's not the case here.

the autofocus camera of A70 is capable of capturing 640x480(vga) video@30 fps...... with customs settings of camera........ this is the same as Motorola Defy which has a similar 5mp camera and could only do vga recording with froyo.......

CM7.x port of defy is capable of capturing 720p videos.............

and how do you know that camera module of A70 is not capable of 720p ?

is there any method.... for that..... pls clarify..........

joel.monty said:
By audio i meant music play back?

music playback has very good output but the speakers are not loud in a crowded environment... but in a moderately silent room.....it is fine.....

@jijo : if wifi is a must for you then forget about this phone and Samsung galaxy 5, this is having better wifi. g5 didn't even detect the connection. (galaxy 5 had CM7.1) wifi was more than 30 ft away and my door was. closed. had to hold the phone in a particular position though. I think spice mi410 has a good wifi.

if you just want a decent hardware then_ you go for this.

and if you are looking for % of hardware failure, then it all depends on your luck.

I've under clocked the CPU to 480mhz (max) & 122 as (min). let me see how much battery I can save. acceptable lag is there will keep this settings for some time. have lived with it for last 24 hr. no sleep on death detected.

I can live if wifi works fine within 10mtr.

I've under clocked the CPU to 480mhz (max) & 122 as (min). let me see how much battery I can save
Then, how about standby time ?

and if you are looking for % of hardware failure
Anyone experienced Micromax ASS?, at least @Bangalore.

Hi guys, had been following this thread since many days... I had bought Micromax A70 from an online seller... I'm impressed with the phone for my usage pattern... But I have ran into a difficult situation now... Posting this expecting a solution.

I had rooted my phone with z4root. Installed ROM Manager and then the recovery... I too faced the "boot to recovery" failure, but things got fine when I re installed the recovery. I dropped my plans to install the modded ROM, after I came to know the WiFi failure in modded ROM for this model.

But now my haptic feedback is gone and the vibrate functionality is lost. I have rechecked the menus, its enabled in the settings, but the vibrate module seems not responding. Tried factory reset, no luck. Tried installing the Sound Manager app, which exposes few hidden sound controls, but still no luck. My friend and me bought two handsets together. He didn't date to root, and it works like a charm. Is this a result of rooting the phone? Or is it bad luck? How good is giving it to a service centre?

@supra thanks for the correction. you are a man of few words but always to the point...

battery came down to 10 %(21:58hrs) from 85%(1700 hrs) under following conditions:-

1. Data turned on full time

2. with LCD turned on full brightness from 1830:hrs to 1940 hrs

3. Wifi switched on from 20:00hrs to 21:58 Hrs.

4. installed fring and test call for video and audio conducted video braking even when I'm near wifi.

5. audio quality of skype is crystal clear..........coould not get the video option to enable in settings though..

6.GPS was turned on from 20:00 Hrs to 21:15 Hrs.....

I've turned off everything now display brightness set to normal, data/GPS/wifi off will tell you how much it lasts.

Andro said:
Hi guys, had been following this thread since many days... I had bought Micromax A70 from an online seller... I'm impressed with the phone for my usage pattern... But I have ran into a difficult situation now... Posting this expecting a solution.

I had rooted my phone with z4root. Installed ROM Manager and then the recovery... I too faced the "boot to recovery" failure, but things got fine when I re installed the recovery. I dropped my plans to install the modded ROM, after I came to know the WiFi failure in modded ROM for this model.

But now my haptic feedback is gone and the vibrate functionality is lost. I have rechecked the menus, its enabled in the settings, but the vibrate module seems not responding. Tried factory reset, no luck. Tried installing the Sound Manager app, which exposes few hidden sound controls, but still no luck. My friend and me bought two handsets together. He didn't date to root, and it works like a charm. Is this a result of rooting the phone? Or is it bad luck? How good is giving it to a service centre?

rooting should not interfere with vibration.....rather I have more vibrations after rooting especially z4root....

don't know whether it is a settings/module issue.....

Just boot into recovery..... wipe cache, dalvik cache.... and try if it works or not.......

Else if you have no option left then you can follow what's written below:

i've already uploaded my clockworkmod backup of my phone please find the link elsewhere in the forum......

If you want that backup to work for you......

1. just make a folder named "backup" ( without quotes and in all lowercase) inside "clockworkmod " folder of your sdcard...

2. the file you download will be a zip file.... unzipping the file should give you a folder of the same name.... just copy that folder into the "backup" folder mentioned in above step.

3. Now open Rom manager ---> reboot into recovery--->(In recovery mode) wipe data, wipe cache, wipe dalvik cache and battery cache(advanced option)

4. Select the option backup/restore---->restore from sdcard---> above folder should be available-->select the folder and restore.........

Optional : If you go for advanced restore then you can restore 1. system ......2. data........3. cache....... one by one......

Thank you Adityadeva for the reply. I shall try your suggestions. I had looked around in the web and saw people complaining about vibrate module after rooting or updating. Some posts like: "HTC Eris :: Vibrate/Haptic Feedback Gone After Rooting" and "Motorola Droid :: Phone Not Vibrating After Update". So thought my issue was related. Thanks again.

Got mine today :tongue::clap: ... Still no SD card though.. can u guys tell me how to send files to internal memory of phone and how do i connect phone to internet thru my pc...
i have a laptop with wifi .. idk how to configure adhoc to access internet from phone.. plz tell me if it is possible..

Thx :)

Current Scenario:

Gprs connected and Phone is in wifi tethering mode (wpa.

my phone is at least 12 mtrs away from my laptop (line of sight/straight line distance) and phone is seperated by wall (I've closed the door of the room nearest to me phone is in the second room).

I've connected to the hot spot. and could browse

so I want your valuable opinion regarding wifi antenna of phone being weak. If transmission can be this strong is there any scope that reception could be enhanced using a better driver....

Congrats for your new A70 wish you all the best with it.

:)

sunil1 said:
Got mine today :tongue::clap: ... Still no SD card though.. can u guys tell me how to send files to internal memory of phone and how do i connect phone to internet thru my pc...

i have a laptop with wifi .. idk how to configure adhoc to access internet from phone.. plz tell me if it is possible..

Thx :)

meanwhile...........

to access internal memory of the phone you should set up ADB (Android Debugging Bridge) How to set it up you can find it here.

other XDA tutorials you can find here and here

if you are using windows in your laptop then here is a guide to share your Internet connection over wifi

For Ubuntu users here is guide.

hope these help you...

Back