Micromax Funbook (Allwinner A10 based tablets) Discussion Thread

@F3niX - Okay I think today or tomorrow I'll install CWM on my tab.
@Sanav3 - ADB? Please don't confuse me with these terms!
@N5233 - Gizmolord is your site? Whao nice

The very first thing to know is its not playbook, Its funbook. (I can see some angry BB users hearing this)
second, Just use it in your usual way as a tablet... You can notice the shortcomings and things you need or required for a better experience...if you start using in its stock conditions....
Check battery life and learn to manage running applications, try some apps remove which you dont like etc...

once you feel that the usage is enough and need to explore more, then comes the rooting, custom ROM etc...

DOnt worry just enjoy the device, have some peace of mind...

Sorry for that didn't notice :p

Yes yes I'm doing exactly that. I have the whole of summer (at least, 1 and half more months of holidays) to keep tinkering and learning all about the device and Android OS itself. Custom ROMs are hardly my priority. I hate bugs.

Even with the 5230, I wouldn't flash a CFW till the last (all bugs squashed out and reading through user reviews/feedback being all positive). So even now, I'll wait for whatever custom rom (3 of them under development) to become completely stable, and then I'll check it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol, not the one for funbook. He developed that rom. Well, i used to develop my roms for galaxy s under the name jetmod and jetpack before. He just stole my rom name. Knowing, jetmods and jetpack were very very popular rom and modifications for galaxy s, captivate, infuse and other galaxy family variants. I have reported about rom name anyway as i am going to continue the work with the same name on galaxy s3, htc one x in couple of months. I already have stated that.
ok :d

---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 PM ----------

v.Na5h - Thanks for those links. I have one query. Where do I download ADB drivers (64-bit)? Searching all over and I'm STUMPED to be absolutely honest.

[Tutorial] Installing ClockWork Mod Recovery on Micromax Funbook | Funbook

Tutorial on how to install, no idea where to download it from.
The links are in the post itself. Click on Funbook ADB Drivers 64-BIt

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

F3niX - Okay I think today or tomorrow I'll install CWM on my tab.
Sanav3 - ADB? Please don't confuse me with these terms!
N5233 - Gizmolord is your site? Whao nice

Sorry for that didn't notice :p

Yes yes I'm doing exactly that. I have the whole of summer (at least, 1 and half more months of holidays) to keep tinkering and learning all about the device and Android OS itself. Custom ROMs are hardly my priority. I hate bugs.

Even with the 5230, I wouldn't flash a CFW till the last (all bugs squashed out and reading through user reviews/feedback being all positive). So even now, I'll wait for whatever custom rom (3 of them under development) to become completely stable, and then I'll check it out.
Not Whole Gizmolord. Only the Funbook site!

---------- Post added at 05:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 PM ----------

The links arent BLue actually. Click on 64-Bit text!

Already figured it out myself. But I started downloading Binary for Superuser (latest version 3.0.3.2, mine is Legacy).

It's taking forever, thinking I'll just cancel download and go install CWM already.

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 PM ----------

Alright, this is VERY IRRITATING.

Code:
"failed to copy 'recovery.img' to '/data/recovery.img': Permission denied
/system/bin/sh: cannot create /dev/block/nandg: Permission denied"

What is this now?

I see that it has already been reported in that XDA thread.
Sorry I Posted it without checking totally..

I just googled and Funbook is really Pre-ROOTED
Check if it is rooted or not via Root Checker
Hope it helps.
Else, try this to ROOT(if unrooted)

Installed CWM already.

Now I see the threads saying error this error that with both JetMod and FunSeries. Hesitant to flash either of them

Also, while taking nandroid backup, in the end it says "ERROR" but the file was created. Don't understand.

I think I'll download the Micromax stock ROM and place it there just incase.

Anyone else having a bulging battery issue? My back panel has started bulging.

And this is the best part : I spoke to Micromax who said that there are only 2 service centres in mumbai for the same. :wtf:

Went to the dadar one today, reached a bit late and they refused to open the door. Damn b**ches. Well, HTC explorer is off my list if thats the ASS I get.

---------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 PM ----------

Ill post photos tomorrow. Till this is resolved, shall try to get to the Andheri service centre before they close, would advice others from purchasing the funbook.

Any more info on the custom ROMS?

I actually am looking for user feedback. Users from TE who've used JetMOD and FunSeries. I wont be flashing ROMS frequently like a maniac. If I find a stable ROM, I'll stick to it for a long long time till there is some AMAZING new feature that I just GOTTA have.

@comp@ddict
I'm the one who flashes ROMs like a maniac :p
My Opinion:
Feature-Wise: CM9 (CyanBook V0.2) The next version of tihs is releasing soo which I'm beta testing :D
Performance-Wise: JetMOD and FunSeries V2.1 are almost the same!

Last edited by a moderator:
comp@ddict
I'm the one who flashes ROMs like a maniac :p
My Opinion:
Feature-Wise: CM9 (CyanBook V0.2) The next version of tihs is releasing soo which I'm beta testing :D
Performance-Wise: JetMOD and FunSeries V2.1 are almost the same!

Okay, since you're beta testing CM9 can you tell me one thing. Is the experience (performance) better than stock ROM? I would like to stick to CM9.

Also, tell me with certainty, is flashing Android phones/tabs as safe as flashing S60v5/S^3 phones (when everything is done correctly on the user's part)?

Okay, since you're beta testing CM9 can you tell me one thing. Is the experience (performance) better than stock ROM? I would like to stick to CM9.

Also, tell me with certainty, is flashing Android phones/tabs as safe as flashing S60v5/S^3 phones (when everything is done correctly on the user's part)?
You in S60V5 Modding too? :O Mee too :D
Yeah android flashing is easier than S60V5.. You cant easily brick an android.
Check my site out for all the tutorials!

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

And yeah, CM9 is certainly better than stock... But as it is based on a Nighlty, has some minor Bugs and Performance issues with games!

---------- Post added at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 PM ----------

Dont you guys think that the title should be Funbook and not PlayBook ? :\

You in S60V5 Modding too? :O Mee too :D
Yeah android flashing is easier than S60V5.. You cant easily brick an android.
Check my site out for all the tutorials!

And yeah, CM9 is certainly better than stock... But as it is based on a Nighlty, has some minor Bugs and Performance issues with games!

Dont you guys think that the title should be Funbook and not PlayBook ? :\

Yeah. I've mostly used the best CFWs and made slight modifications to personalize it, nothing much. But I was a maniacal flasher with my 5230 (gonna flash it once more before I hand it to my sister :p).

Soon to become, Android Flasher (hopefully not maniacal this time :D)

Hmm, nightlies you say. Well as long as the bugs don't hamper normal operation (gaming is secondary), I'm fine with it.

Do tell us all about CyanBook's next version!!

And yeah, changed the Title already

CyanogenMod 9 almost finished, code freeze is underway

I hope CyanBook is made on the final/stable CM9

Can you tell me about ChainFire 3D?
Yeah.. CF3D is for those games which wont work on our Mali GPUs (Though it is capable of running) or require Specific GPUs to work. Using it, we can kinda emulate a GPU.. So that a Game works!

---------- Post added at 01:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 PM ----------

@comp@ddict: Installing CyanBook V0.3 now. Will tell the results soon!

Okay. Don't need it. Won't install.

Yes feedback on it. All the apps tht I want to keep, I'll just make a .apk using Titanium Backup correct?

Also, when making full nandroid backup using CWM, doesn't it backup everything already? Including apps? So titanium backup will be only to restore my app in their last states in the new ROM isn't it?

Okay. Don't need it. Won't install.

Yes feedback on it. All the apps tht I want to keep, I'll just make a .apk using Titanium Backup correct?

Also, when making full nandroid backup using CWM, doesn't it backup everything already? Including apps? So titanium backup will be only to restore my app in their last states in the new ROM isn't it?
Yes, CWM Does Backup All apps. But You wont restore them as you will install a New ROM. BTW, Wait for Cyanbook 0.3. Its coming in a few Days!
And Titanium Backup pro is the best app for app backups. Just make sure that you keep your backup location on external SD card, Or it'll be erased while installing new ROM.

Back