Mid-entry level gaming rig under 35k

how the hell will op upgrade to ivy bridge with a mobo with h67 chipset?or any other chipset except z68?i just see so many guys around saying "take this and upgrade to ivy","upgrade to ivy",like its a fricking jingle bell.

Sudhanshu it seems that you haven't kept up with the times --> http://www.fudzilla....ith-h67-and-p67 / http://www.xtremesys...rd-and-PCIe-3.0 / http://www.anandtech...tecture-exposed.

Hope the above links are enough to convince you that Ivy-Bridge mainstream processors are going to keep all the previous generation LGA 1155 chipsets in vogue.

he wants good performance.of course i3 will perform better but it is so minimal i would take the 4100 all day long.and with the amd platform he also gets better features.so what everyone wants him to do is to take just a little better performance for sata 3 and some other features i have already painfully repeated a lot of times,it just doesnt make sense to me.

Again let us leave this to OP, his call on what to take. Most AMD processors get trashed by a puny Core i3 and it does it will sipping on less power, maybe for you USB 3.0 and SATA III are not a big deal for others who are assembling a current system it counts as essentials in my books as long as they are not paying a premium for the features, why quibble.

Decent Intel boards like the Intel DH67-BL offer all the above features for a reasonable price ~5400/-. I do not have any idea of the current penetration of AMD 9** series boards in the Indian market and what is their pricing. Honestly pairing a Bulldozer with an older generation chipset --> 890 / 880 series has no benefit and you might as well buy a AMD Thuban / Zosma / Deneb core with the older chips.

Maybe my thoughts makes no sense to you, but that is the glory of out motherland, free speech [for the most part]. If you do not agree let us part on good terms, instead of quarrelling for such frivolous matters.

and what of its full 4 cores damn it,and i hope you all realise that when games begin using all 4 cores and they will,the 4100 will **** around with the i3 and molest it ,and make a court case.

Okay I am still waiting for that day when, all cores are equally taxed by games unfortunately I am not seeing that any time soon, consider this since c. 2005 we have moved from dual-cores --> hex-core platform but no game [apart from a few exceptions like FarCry 2 and BioShock] has utilized these cores OR thread levels very efficiently.

Case in point the recent graphical behemoth, BattleField 3 --> http://www.guru3d.co...enchmark-test/3 / http://www.tomshardw...ce,3063-13.html.

While we are at it, your next theory of CPU bottlenecking GPU -- op will do fine with the cx430v2 with stock 4100 and still benefit more than he does with the i3.i dunno how appealing 3-4 fps more are when you are already going to get bottlenecked at the gpu lvl.

I think[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] #[/font][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]BIKeINSTEIN is running BF3 at pretty good settings with and Intel Pentium G620 + GTX 580, let him shed some light on the topic He had started a thread for the same so head over there -- .http://www.techencla...49#entry1689249.[/font]

You want OP to over-clock the FX-4100 to see gains unfortunately anything below the Seasonic S12II 520W will be unable to power this RIG in all honesty, especially when we are considering the facts --
  • AMD FX processors start showing chronic mileage issues the moment you start tweaking their voltages and multipliers.
  • Next up if you want to over-clock you need a decent air cooler, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO is the minimum OP will require, additional load on the poor CX V2 430W.
  • No real IPC gains over a superior Intel architecture, performance still will not justify the costs involved.

i am a diehard intel fan but even i admit the amd makes more sense in ops price range.and also no mobo will let op get any RAM above 1333 MHZ UNTIL HE GETS ANOTHER PROCCY BECAUSE THE MEMORY CONTROLLER IS ON DIE,so MOBO DOESNT DO ANYTHING.

I've tried explaining plenty of people that buying 1333MHz RAM is seriously not worth it, especially for Intel processors and AMD Llano APU's in the face of these articles / arguments --> http://www.anandtech...g-the-best-ddr3 / http://www.xbitlabs....a2011-ddr3.html

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sandy Bridge's improved memory controller has all but eliminated the need for extreme memory bandwidth, at least for this architecture. It's only when you get down to DDR3-1333 that you see a minor performance penalty. The sweet spot appears to be at DDR3-1600, where you will see a minor performance increase over DDR3-1333 with only a slight increase in cost. The performance increase gained by going up to DDR3-1866 or DDR3-2133 isn't nearly as pronounced.[/font]

for the APU's memory scaling and improving graphics performance --> http://www.hardocp.c...83850_llano_apu / http://www.tomshardw...ano,2975-6.html.

[font=arial, sans-serif]We found that the memory bandwidth ranges from 13GB/s to 16GB/s with typical dual channel memory kits on our AMD A8-3850 APU and Gigabyte A75-UD4H motherboard. This difference doesn't sound that great, but a 3GB/s increase when dealing with 13GB is a very nice 23% performance increase. Most of this performance gain is seen when moving up from a 1333Mhz to a 1600MHz memory kit is where you'll see the largest performance jump.[/font]

Hope this sorts out any doubts you have Sire, Cheers!!

Also I request you again to PLEASE FORMAT your replies PROPERLY. It is a pain to sift through and to reply to your monolithic paragraphs.

Thanks comp@ddict, Jakob, Sudhanshu123 and ALPHA17,

poker-face-meme.jpg

confusion confusion confusion..

i3 has good performance but 2 cores..

amd has 4 cores but power consumption is high..

with lga 1155, H67, I can upgrade to ivy Bridge.

Also, I do want sata 3 and usb 3.0.

Somehow Intel does seem to be the way forward.

Regarding,

"[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I've tried explaining plenty of people that buying 1333MHz RAM is seriously not worth it, especially for Intel processors and AMD Llano APU's in the face of these articles / arguments -->[/font]http://www.anandtech...g-the-best-ddr3http://www.xbitlabs....a2011-ddr3.html

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sandy Bridge's improved memory controller has all but eliminated the need for extreme memory bandwidth, at least for this architecture. It's only when you get down to DDR3-1333 that you see a minor performance penalty. The sweet spot appears to be at DDR3-1600, where you will see a minor performance increase over DDR3-1333 with only a slight increase in cost. The performance increase gained by going up to DDR3-1866 or DDR3-2133 isn't nearly as pronounced.[/font][/font]"

I wonder if the motherboard is gonna support the 1600 MHz RAM.

http://www.intel.com...ard-dh67bl.html

It states: Memory support for 1333/1066 MHz DIMMs

I think that should mean that even if I use a 1600 MHz RAM, it would work at a frequency of 1333MHz since that is the max. supported.

I may be wrong ofcourse..

The other worry I have is .. If I think of extending the budget and going for HD6850, will the [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] CX430[/font]v2[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] be able to handle it? or will I have to buy the [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Seasonic SII 520w in that case.. [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]
1ign13.gif
[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]About Biostar mobos...[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Are they reliable enough?? [/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Thanks. [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]
cool43.gif
[/font]

confusion confusion confusion..

i3 has good performance but 2 cores..

amd has 4 cores but power consumption is high..

with lga 1155, H67, I can upgrade to ivy Bridge.

Also, I do want sata 3 and usb 3.0.

Somehow Intel does seem to be the way forward.

Intel is the way forward Sire, the Intel Core i3 will work easily for the next ~2 years for gaming and basic day to day applications.

It states: Memory support for 1333/1066 MHz DIMMs

I think that should mean that even if I use a 1600 MHz RAM, it would work at a frequency of 1333MHz since that is the max. supported.

In regard to this query, following points --
  • Intel memory controllers shifted from the North-Bridge to the processor from the Nehlaem based architectures, successive iterations [Sandy-Bridge and Ivy-Bridge] have cut the requirement for acute speed performance memory kits, as in the links I have provided the performance goes up with faster memory speeds but the greatest increment is observed in going from standard 1333MHz kits --> 1600MHz kits.
  • No current Intel chipset excluding the X58 supports memory speeds in excess of 1333MHz, but with a little over-volting and manual adjustment in the BIOS you can run 1600MHz kits at their native speeds on H67 / P67 / Z68 motherboards.

Hope this clarifies this bit.

The other worry I have is .. If I think of extending the budget and going for HD6850, will the [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] CX430[/font]v2[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] be able to handle it? or will I have to buy the [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Seasonic SII 520w in that case.. [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font]

No if you go for the Intel Core i3 + H67 + HD 6850 based combo, the Corsair CX V2 430W will be able to do the job, if for whatever reasons you but an AMD FX-4100 [so that you can experience over-clocking] + HD 6850, then I will recommend that you go for the Seasonic S12II 520W period

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]About Biostar mobos...[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Are they reliable enough?? [/font]
Not really aware if they have a pan-India service network, so will not recommend them with full zeal.

Hope this helps, Cheers!!

Hey thanks everyone
happy55.gif

Just sharing my PC Buying Xperience..

So I went to lamington the other day... Mccann Infosys (shop)
construction.gif

This is the stuff I bought...

Intel i3 2100 and Intel DH67BL-B3 - 11200

RAM Corsair valu select 2 * 2GB - 1200 Sapphire HD6850 - 9550

Corsair cx600 v2 - 3800

Circle Ozone Gaming series cabby.. - 2200

Combo Logitech K200 - 550 LG sata - 900

..............................................................................................................................

Ram.. 1333 since i didnt really want to fiddle with the bios..
sleep.png

Corsair cx600v2.... None of the shops had cx 430 v2 or any other corsair apart from 600... nor seasonic nor tagan..
mellow.png

Now I wanted to start the machine so picked it up..

cabinet... Now they did not have NZXT gamma either... and were quoting 2800 for source elite!!!
scared14.gif

so went for this circle ozone which the shop guy suggested... looks pretty ok... has two 120 mm fans on the top(with low/high/off switch).. one 60 mm at the back and 2 fan slots at the side..

Looks somewhat like the Gamma from inside although it doesn't have those HDD trays 'n stuff
sad.gif
unsure.png

ps: I couldnt find it on google else would have posted the link..
death.gif

Had carried my old CPU since they were giving me about 3k for it..

To my F***luck, my Samsung 17" LCD stopped working just as we reached the shop.!!!!
cursing.gif

Next thing I wanted to buy was BenQ G2222HDL..

So he gets the BenQ G2222HDL box and tests it in his shop.. Luckily I checked to find that there was no DVI cable in the box...
scared14.gif

What's more, There was no DVI port on the monitor.. Only a lame VGA port...

Checked the sticker on the box .. model number G2222HDAL... in a G2222HDL box... OH THE FURY!!!
cursing.gif

By that time, 4-5 hours had passed in that shop.... since those guys work so FAST |sarcasm Intended|

And their supplier had shut apparently.. Checked in the other shops.. Just got delayed even further..
cursing.gif

Now about HDD.. They had many Seagate and WD 500 GB HDDs at 5900 and 7200 RPMs...

But none of them stated 6Gbps..

How do I distinguish a 6Gbps HDD from a 3Gbps one.. There is nothing written on the HDD..

Or any particular model number that's surely a 6Gbps...
bounce.gif

HDD, I have an option of using my old 160GB Samsung in the meanwhile,...
happy19.gif

So here I am, with a comp but no monitor (working)... lol

How torturing is that???
bangin.gif

Thanks..
happy55.gif

Thanks people...
<

Went ahead and bought the DELL St2220M monitor from Lamington...

It cost me a good 8.5 k but the Dell sure seems worth every penny..

Even the guys in the shop (Othree Solutions, Lamington Road) were in awe at the sight of the monitor when they opened the box to test it and check if all the cables and ports were available!!
<
Jumpy.gif

Great monitor but stupendously bright.. lol

Also, picked up a Seagate Barracuda 6Gbps. (found the model no. on google..)

System is finally done!!!

Installed Win7 and playin GTA4 (took a lot of
frusty.gif
to fix the drunk camera.. phew...)

Thanks everyone for all the help..
<
signthankspin.gif

Back