Budget 10-15K Mobile phone or tablet for my mother?

Sumi

Disciple
My mother has been using my crappy Redmi Note 3 Pro for the past 2 years even after me constantly letting her know she can get a new one, as a classic Indian mother, she insisted it works fine. Today she finally said "Beta, lagta he naya lena hi hoga" (Translation, "Son, I think we'll finally need a new one").

Personally use a Samsung M31 and stopped following news about latest mobile phones and tablets, so here to ask people who will know better than me about the current releases.

Usage will be mostly for listening to YouTube for Bhajans and music, basic WhatsApp and in rare occasions taking pictures.

This is where I'm a little confused whether to gift her a Mobile phone with a small screen or a big tablet.

Just for extra note, there's already a dumbphone we have at home that works like a modern landline number to take calls.

buy Samsung Mobile that fit in your budget. Buy number glasses with doctors prescription for near vision.
Mobile 6.5" may feel small for vision issue person, but you can increase mobile font size as per your desire/comfort level.

Tablet heavy/bulky and may be not as usable/in-trend compare to mobile

Tablet is not so easy to carry around like a phone. I gave my mother a 8" tablet, after initial excitement, its usage dropped, more so post she upgraded her phone runs smoother (Redmi Note 8 pro vs Fire Tab 8" 2018 version).

IMO Moto G62 for 16k (6/128GB) is a good choice for a basic phone that doesn't cost a lot & shouldn't hang anytime soon. From Samsung, the option is F23 5G (6/128GB) - I bought this as an upgrade for my mother - have to spend time cleaning bloatware, turning off notifications, etc.

With much excitement I gifted my father a tablet ( Realme Pad X ) .. primarily for whatsapp calls. The tab has clear and crisp display and good sound. Hence was good as per needs.

But ... the very next day he went back to his OnePlus 3. :( :rolleyes: . The discomfort due to weight + size of the tab superseded its merits of bigger display.

I'll go with a smartphone, looks like tablets are an ongoing pattern of being a novelty item after the initial usage for most parents. Most of the recommended phones are out of my budget at the moment, I'll have to delay a little to accommodate those into the list. Appreciate the suggestions, I'll update soon.

Samsung have all Budget phone even Mi/Realme etc, too have .. but be sure to check screen resolution.
If earlier Redmi Note 3 Pro have FHD+ Screen then get FHD+ only, else she may feel & face blur screen with non FHD+.
Get phone whenever your budget permits, but as per me, visit any used phone sale shop and let her check few phone there and if she feel comfortable with eyes than only buy.

Last edited:
Buy tablet only if she is going to use YouTube/OTT and video calls on it only. Otherwise the tablet is heavy and keyboard typing will be difficult. You will get better specs and performance by buying a smartphone at the same price.

Realme 9 5G Speed Edition (Snapdragon 778G) was at 15k in Diwali sale (now showing 20k) Check if you can get it with exchange or card discount. Otherwise, you can also wait for the upcoming Redmi Note 12 and realme 10 series.

Samsung f23 5g. Even though it's a TFT display, it looks really good. Bought it for my brother and it really works well. Some bloatware which can be easily removed but really easy to use. Only downside, have to buy charger separately.

The new tabs from Realme and Redmi and other budget brands are really good options. Serves your purpose great display for YouTube. Better than mobile speakers for bhajans. And she can continue using the mobile for calling and WhatsApp.

Imo if she's using basic phone for calls. , Get her a tablet also I have a lonovo tab i think it's M8 but you can't get those easily around 8/9k with 3 gb ram rathee that going for something expensive like a 15k tab . In fact in 15k you can easily gift her a decent smartphone and a tablet.

Either way for they way elders use either phone 3/4gb ram should be enough .

For parents weight of the device also matters. So you can first her about the weight of the device she would be comfortable with. You can also visit croma or reliance digital and let her know about the weight of the devices then buy accordingly.

Back