Mobo for Ryzen 3700X - Future Proofing

Yeah I am still looking out. Haven't finalised anything. I did check Auros Pro AC. It has bluetooth and wifi so serves my purpose. Does the MSI B550 Tomahawk has a wifi version?

Nope I don't think so, wifi and bluetooth version is Gaming Edge Wifi I guess which is 3-4k more and falls into X570 territory.
Gigabyte B550 Auros Pro AC - Very good choice, I am using B550 Auros Pro (already had wifi dongle so didn't buy AC model) and it has very good build and VRM design! Go ahead and you won't regret!

Bought the B550 tomahawk with the same purpose, does not have wifi though.
Arre
Should have gone with the wifi model of B550 by investing a little more. Would come in handy if you are using wireless networks via routers buddy.
I am right now using the ethernet port but before I used to use the wifi way on my mobo. Not much difference in speed if the router is nearby though.

Yeah .... Giga B550 Pro AC is around 17.5k currently at vedant. Seems to be a good option.
Even somebody is telling about Asus TUF series having wifi variant and costing the same 18k
So OP have to decide which of the above two have better VRMs and go with it.
Gigabyte is also good but I never bought it at least once until now
I can vouch for Asus, Asrock, MSI likewise products as I have used them until recently as replacement mobos for my MSI mobo which went for RMA.

Even somebody is telling about Asus TUF series having wifi variant and costing the same 18k
So OP have to decide which of the above two have better VRMs and go with it.
Gigabyte is also good but I never bought it at least once until now
I can vouch for Asus, Asrock, MSI likewise products as I have used them until recently as replacement mobos for my MSI mobo which went for RMA.

Asus TUF B550M is wifi and I believe is around a 1000 bucks expensive, not too much though but its a mATX, my case supports it though.

Arre
Should have gone with the wifi model of B550 by investing a little more. Would come in handy if you are using wireless networks via routers buddy.
I am right now using the ethernet port but before I used to use the wifi way on my mobo. Not much difference in speed if the router is nearby though.
I have a tplink wifi card already and i got it from a local buyer for 17k.

I have a tplink wifi card already and i got it from a local buyer for 17k.
So you bought the Asus TUF B550 wifi variant right?
I also have the same TPLink Dual Band wifi router bought from Amazon and working well.
I am using MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC wifi variant and its signal strength is good.

The pci slots are all usable if you don't use the second m.2 slot. The link from the cpu to chipset is pci-e 3.0 x4 for ryzen 1xxx and 2xxx. That's it - irrespective of whether one is using an x470 or b450. Entry level x470 boards will be worse as they will have horrible realtek lan and bad audio codecs plus no wifi.
Seeing how OP has kind of narrowed down to b550s posting this wouldn't make much sense but Pro carbon unlike its price bracket counter parts has a pcie 2.0x4 slot as the secondary x16 aka shoddy pcie circuitry.

Also I would suggest veteran members to refrain from making blanket statements on Realtek lan. There are no tangible proofs that Intel LAN provides superior experience in the modern times compared to its counterparts.

The 887/892 Codec perf has gotten quite better thanks to the basic isolation thats designed in the even the most basic mobos. Also the output device attached to them matters a lot. In the case of a general consumer any modern mobo with ALC 887/892 would be good enough.

Last edited:
So you bought the Asus TUF B550 wifi variant right?
I also have the same TPLink Dual Band wifi router bought from Amazon and working well.
I am using MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC wifi variant and its signal strength is good.
i don't understand need of wifi in desktop lan always perform better than wifi

Thanks for the response guys. Decided on Aorus Pro AC. Getting it for around 17.4k from pcstudio. Can anyone recommend a good not-so-expensive cooler to go with 3700X? Ambient temps where I am are around 28-35 C. My 2600X used to be on a constant 50+ when idle.
How is Arctic Freezer ? Heard good things about it, not sure about the support and warranty in India.

Also I would suggest veteran members to refrain from making blanket statements on Realtek lan. There are no tangible proofs that Intel LAN provides superior experience in the modern times compared to its counterparts.

The 887/892 Codec perf has gotten quite better thanks to the basic isolation thats designed in the even the most basic mobos. Also the output device attached to them matters a lot. In the case of a general consumer any modern mobo with ALC 887/892 would be good enough.

You don't need to do much to see how much more CPU crappy realtek lan drivers are. Just run iperf3 in udp with 10G as the speed (so theoretically there are no software bottlenecks). In my personal tests, I see the realtek lan eat around 12-15% CPU vs Intel eating around 3-5% when the throughput is maxed out. The receiver in either case is a cavium soc based Ubiquiti Edgerouter 4 which is connected to a cisco layer 3 switch (my home network). The funny part is the CPU on the board with intel LAN is a low voltage laptop class (i3 8109u) CPU while the realtek has a ryzen 1700. Inspite of this, I see higher CPU utilization on the realtek based system.

The problem is lower priced boards that use 887/892 don't have proper audio isolation and are noisy. The higher end ones with 1220 chips have properly implemented analog outs.
Post automatically merged:

Thanks for the response guys. Decided on Aorus Pro AC. Getting it for around 17.4k from pcstudio. Can anyone recommend a good not-so-expensive cooler to go with 3700X? Ambient temps where I am are around 28-35 C. My 2600X used to be on a constant 50+ when idle.
How is Arctic Freezer ? Heard good things about it, not sure about the support and warranty in India.

Arctic coolers are nice but expect no support in India. But then nothing much can go wrong in an air cooler.

Last edited:
Back