Mouse Switch Replacement - Solder Advice

dexterz

Adept
I have some Logitech mice with double click issues and thought I'll try my hand at fixing them by replacing the faulty switches. So I ordered some switches from sunrom and looking to get a solder kit to start fixing the mice.
I've seen some videos on the solder process. Wanted to know from people who dabble in DIY and soldering if this kit will suffice for a starter.

https://www.amazon.in/APTECH-DEALS-AP-SI11A010-Soldering-Intermediate/dp/B07KJ87VWT

Any advice/tips appreciated

Yes, that's fine. I've done this a couple times using a very identical solder iron.

Tip: Use flux. Also it ain't as easy as it looks in the videos. You need to be patient with it. Use desolder wik on the existing solder joints along with the flux. Push the switch out and clean the area. Apply fresh flux and place the new switch and then apply the fresh solder.

That kit will suffice..though I’m a bit skeptical about soldering iron quality, still for that price, u r getting the whole kit.

Seeing the videos and doing means, sometimes it gets messy or u may even damange solder pads if not careful/patient. What I suggest is, if u have a pcb from any electronic item that is no longer useful, u can practice on that and then comeback to solve ur mouse issue.

That kit will suffice..though I’m a bit skeptical about soldering iron quality, still for that price, u r getting the whole kit.

Seeing the videos and doing means, sometimes it gets messy or u may even damange solder pads if not careful/patient. What I suggest is, if u have a pcb from any electronic item that is no longer useful, u can practice on that and then comeback to solve ur mouse issue.
Don't have faulty pcb. Will this help with practice? https://www.amazon.in/Prototype-Universal-Protoboard-Soldering-Electronic/dp/B082BBL1GJ

It costs more than what is available offline.. if you have any electrical stores they could have it..
These days almost all electronic/electrical components have pcbs inside..if you still cannot find, then these boards are good alternatives.

But u have another option which is simpler..take it to an electronic repair shop and they could do it for you for cheaper and you need not bother abt buying/practicing all this equipment.

It costs more than what is available offline.. if you have any electrical stores they could have it..
These days almost all electronic/electrical components have pcbs inside..if you still cannot find, then these boards are good alternatives.

But u have another option which is simpler..take it to an electronic repair shop and they could do it for you for cheaper and you need not bother abt buying/practicing all this equipment.
Yea that thought crossed my mind too. I'll be checking out both options tomorrow. Given how frequently logitech mice fail I thought I might as well learn it myself :p

Be very careful taking them apart. The spring holding the scroll wheel in some models has a tendency to launch itself off and fly away into some random corner in the room. Take pictures at every stage to keep a note of how things to back together. You think you'll remember, but trust me, when you really need to, you won't remember. Buy a high wattage soldering iron. At least 35w. Before applying it to the pcb, make sure it's hot enough by touching it with a solder. If it doesn't melt instantly it's not hot enough. Don't try removing one leg fully at a time. Pull the switch and heat it at the other end. It will come out only a little bit. That's enough. Switch to the other side, and pull that side out a bit too. Repeat again on other side.

When soldering the new switch, use sandpaper or emery to remove oxidation from the leads and dip the leads you're going to solder in flux. Don't go overboard with solder. Use the bare minimum

Be very careful taking them apart. The spring holding the scroll wheel in some models has a tendency to launch itself off and fly away into some random corner in the room. Take pictures at every stage to keep a note of how things to back together. You think you'll remember, but trust me, when you really need to, you won't remember. Buy a high wattage soldering iron. At least 35w. Before applying it to the pcb, make sure it's hot enough by touching it with a solder. If it doesn't melt instantly it's not hot enough. Don't try removing one leg fully at a time. Pull the switch and heat it at the other end. It will come out only a little bit. That's enough. Switch to the other side, and pull that side out a bit too. Repeat again on other side.

When soldering the new switch, use sandpaper or emery to remove oxidation from the leads and dip the leads you're going to solder in flux. Don't go overboard with solder. Use the bare minimum
Thanks for the tips. I've taken all 3 apart multiple times to clean them in the past so that's not going to be an issue. I'll make sure to follow the other things you've mentioned

I would also like to share my thoughts and experience repairing the double/intermittent click issues. I have repaired about 10-12 mouse and a couple of mechanical keyboard switches without ever replacing them. What actually happens inside the switches is, the contacts inside wears out due to clicks and a layer of carbon is formed which prevents a good contacts between the two points of the switches. All you need is pry open the switch with help of tweezers and clean the metal contacts with toothbrush and some isopropyl alcohol. Below is a picture of a mouse switch opened and indicated are the points which only needs to be cleaned.

Switch.jpg

I play Dota quite a bit, like, currently at approx 4000 Hrs and still no mouse has died on me! Only replaced my G400S (bought in 2015) last year after killing it due to an accidental extreme pull on wire. Got g402 which is again like 18 months old. Prior to all these, Since 2006, ran through 2 MX518s and a Deathadder. Only one of these three had some clicking issue, not sure if it was logitech or DA (other surviving ones got lost)

I would also like to share my thoughts and experience repairing the double/intermittent click issues. I have repaired about 10-12 mouse and a couple of mechanical keyboard switches without ever replacing them.
I agree. I have also repaired my mice a couple of times this way. It's easier to clean contacts than replacing.

Back