MTNL Mumbai quietly shifts DSL unlimit 450 plan to 512kbps all time

2mbps after 12 was a promotion offer.
What about 1 Mbps after 6?
afaik we were getting 1Mbps after 6pm before the 2mbps promotion
but now they have stopped that too, I think it's clear cheating

anyways i'll called up those numbers but no one picked up will call again on monday

In any case besides crappy download speeds of mtnl YouTube speeds too sucked . Even torrents are bad on mtnl . :mad:

After a chat with the Ed and GM of broadband my connection was fixed. I had 100% uptime. 20 ping constant and speeds as mentioned.

I'm still getting 512 kbps full speed. But it just ain't enough..

I have no problems with mtnl service and speed, it's just the plan that's shit..

afaik we were getting 1Mbps after 6pm before the 2mbps promotion
but now they have stopped that too, I think it's clear cheating

anyways i'll called up those numbers but no one picked up will call again on monday
Those are numbers of senior officials, they will pick up only during morning hours.. I tried to contact Ed and GM of broadband, was unsuccessful.

I have no problems with mtnl service and speed, it's just the plan that's shit..
Yeah d plan now is shit. Atleast 1mbps after 6pm shudn't hv been pulled off:(. What actual dwnld speeds u r getting now? Mines around 40-60kbps which sucks & aarghh ...tht buffering on videos:mad:

In bhubaneswar, the max that we get is 512 kbps too which is sometimes not even enough for 360p buffering in youtube. 1 MBps should be the standard speed everywhere

Youtube videos buffering is not always due to speeds of the connection but the cache done on ISP side and such stuff matters. I don't know the technicalities myself.
I am on full time 1 Mbps (YOU Broadband) connection and i struggle to get 240p/360p without buffering. I have totally given up on youtube and i only download the videos using keepvid and then watch them always, even if it is a 2 minute trailer.

I am on the same boat guys.... I realized this yesterday...

Considered airtel-bb as an option but they dont provide service in my locality(Ashokvan, Dahisar-East)...

My local cable ISP (Fivenet...i think) is bullsh*t with connection going down on weekends for almost a whole day(and sometimes 2 days)...

My monthly data usage is around 20-25GB.... so thinking of going for either Xpress Combo Unlimited 1000(2 Mbps upto 30 GB and 512 Kbps afterwards) OR Fibre Thrill 990(10 Mbps Download & 5 Mbps Upload speed up to 25 GB, thereafter download & upload at 512Kbps)

Anyother ISPs you guys suggest... based on experience...

---------------EDIT----------------
I think Reliance Thunder 699 is a good option...
Inquired for Reliance BB, will come to know in two days if its available in my locality... (fingers crossed)

Last edited:
This is utter bullshit, I'm disconnecting my connection tomorrow.

I ain't paying 550 for this crap..
What crap are you going to get for 550 ? do you have a better alternative at that price point? I would like to enhance my knowledge if you do.

I am a MTNL user for many years now, and yet have to be disappointed.

Service comes at a price, and in case of MTNL, IMO, the price is competitive.

1mbps from 7star is cheap , they have 0 downtime too,this plan was good , but not anymore.

Hathway aint that costly either...i already have a hathway connection in the house,but its in my dad's room,which is pretty far away from mine..

The main problem lies in FUP..No doubt one can get cheap plan of 2mbps at 700 too.But problem lies when download limit crosses 2mbps not even turn to 512 but to 256 and some shameful ISP even goes upto modem day speed of 128kbps.Atleast here we can surf here at 512kbps sacrificing download in background.
I feel the unlimit 999 plan is still better.People saying even that 2mBps will close after this month .
But still 1.13mBps all time is still not a bad deal for 600 extra paying.Plus no FUP.What else one needs.If just download 140+kBps.If wants to surf and download in background one can easily tap it to 80kBPs and the remaining for surfing including video buffering.Also download and gaming can go simultaneously which doesnt go in 512kbps plan.
Its just that this long MTNL service has spoil us badly that we are asking for too much whereas before this MTNL plans we used to happily pay 750+bucks for 256kbps and still use to brag our speed and stating i downloaded 20Gb and my hdd is only 40Gb.

7star and hathway have 1 Mbps, no FUP plans at 7-8k per year..

Hathway has a plan 5mbps upto 30gb then 1mbps FUP speed, 10k approx per year..

The only reason I'm hanging on to mtnl is that I can't afford anything else, and I'm getting good pings for gaming atm.

Last edited:
Where do you stay.
I cant search such plan on mumbai plan.
Contact a hathway centre(franchise) .. They have 5 pages of plans..

I have a hathway centre near my home on jp road, versova...

They don't show plans online..
Only 2-3 plans are shown online.. And those are for new connections only.. Call them up is what I'm saying or visit the nearest franchise .

I do not see we people getting better and proper internet plans until someone sane enough to understand the power of the same comes in higher authority and makes it mandatory to provide better internet. And someone who enforces the rules strictly.

7star and hathway have 1 Mbps, no FUP plans at 7-8k per year..

Hathway has a plan 5mbps upto 30gb then 1mbps FUP speed, 10k approx per year..

The only reason I'm hanging on to mtnl is that I can't afford anything else, and I'm getting good pings for gaming atm.
Contact a hathway centre(franchise) .. They have 5 pages of plans..

I have a hathway centre near my home on jp road, versova...

They don't show plans online..
Only 2-3 plans are shown online.. And those are for new connections only.. Call them up is what I'm saying or visit the nearest franchise .
It would be better to actually use some service before singing their accolades.

I have used, hathway (churcgate), 7 star (you would do well to check their unwritten FUP) , Reliance, a local operator, and MTNL (3 locations). The others do not even come close to MTNL's service.

Almost all cast stones at MTNL, and yet stick to it offering one excuse or another. MTNL is probably the only one which will give you a service anywhere, and the only onw who will strive to fix a problem when you hit one, everyone else will just tell you take it or leave it.

I would like to hear from users of other providers, rather than MTNL users who perpetually crib about it, and yet never leave its services even when there are so many wonderful offerings out there for the taking (as per them). Wonder what stops them.

Stop cribbing, start using. Companies do not exist for a minority few who's only job in life is downloading GBs of illegal files, they exist for providing services to the normal user. If you can't accept that, move on and find someone who will cater to your particular whim (though I suspect you do know, no one else will).

The main problem lies in FUP..No doubt one can get cheap plan of 2mbps at 700 too.But problem lies when download limit crosses 2mbps not even turn to 512 but to 256 and some shameful ISP even goes upto modem day speed of 128kbps.Atleast here we can surf here at 512kbps sacrificing download in background.
I feel the unlimit 999 plan is still better.People saying even that 2mBps will close after this month .
But still 1.13mBps all time is still not a bad deal for 600 extra paying.Plus no FUP.What else one needs.If just download 140+kBps.If wants to surf and download in background one can easily tap it to 80kBPs and the remaining for surfing including video buffering.Also download and gaming can go simultaneously which doesnt go in 512kbps plan.
Its just that this long MTNL service has spoil us badly that we are asking for too much whereas before this MTNL plans we used to happily pay 750+bucks for 256kbps and still use to brag our speed and stating i downloaded 20Gb and my hdd is only 40Gb.
ON the dot, so why are you shopping around for another provider ?

Back