MTNL Mumbai quietly shifts DSL unlimit 450 plan to 512kbps all time

It would be better to actually use some service before singing their accolades.

I have used, hathway (churcgate), 7 star (you would do well to check their unwritten FUP) , Reliance, a local operator, and MTNL (3 locations). The others do not even come close to MTNL's service.

Almost all cast stones at MTNL, and yet stick to it offering one excuse or another. MTNL is probably the only one which will give you a service anywhere, and the only onw who will strive to fix a problem when you hit one, everyone else will just tell you take it or leave it.

I would like to hear from users of other providers, rather than MTNL users who perpetually crib about it, and yet never leave its services even when there are so many wonderful offerings out there for the taking (as per them). Wonder what stops them.

Stop cribbing, start using. Companies do not exist for a minority few who's only job in life is downloading GBs of illegal files, they exist for providing services to the normal user. If you can't accept that, move on and find someone who will cater to your particular whim (though I suspect you do know, no one else will).

I've been using hathway since the last 6 years mate, i just signed up for mtnl 2.5 months ago, and the internet didn't work for one and half months, if that's service according to you, then in sorry there is nothing to talk about.

My neighbour uses 7star,it is NO FUP and has 0 downtime.

Mtnl staff knows nothing. I raised a complaint every day, 2 old guys came to check everyday, tinkered with some wires, and then complaint resolved.
Next day time for a complaint again. They said my wiring is old, my wiring is shit.. My new tp link 8968 modem plus router is shit, then i tested it with a Tp link 8817 wired modem, they told that is shit too, then i complained to the GM and Ed of broadband, Mumbai, they shifted my connection to a completely different server with a different range of ip addresses and internet has been working fine since the last 10-15 days, on the same SHIT wiring and the same SHIT modem plus router. They refused to accept that fault is on their side. Sadly I had to pay the bill for the entire one and half month when the internet didn't work.

So dont blame me if I bash MTNL. They haven't given me any good experiences to sing accolades about.

Hathway on the other hand has been flawless, you are right, service comes at a price, and me being a student cannot afford the hathway price.

Also coming to the point of MTNL'S unmatched service, i must be having around 50 friends using mtnl.. Not one of them ever compliments them.

20% MTNL customers' internet actually works.. Sadly you have been one of them..

ON the dot, so why are you shopping around for another provider ?
I am checking whether any provider has turn better or any plan doesnt miss my radar.Because of this situation i am looking for change .Else i dont bother to waste time on issue just to improve my download time from 3 hours to 2 hours 30minutes.My important need is no problem in surfing whereas backend job goes on simultaneously .Now with 512kbps its not possible.Mtnl 1.13mbps plan will throw another 600 buks from my pocket whereas i am hearing hathway and other providing 1 mbps for 300 more from my present plan.I just need to make sure no FUP applies and its service.

I am checking whether any provider has turn better or any plan doesnt miss my radar.Because of this situation i am looking for change .Else i dont bother to waste time on issue just to improve my download time from 3 hours to 2 hours 30minutes.My important need is no problem in surfing whereas backend job goes on simultaneously .Now with 512kbps its not possible.Mtnl 1.13mbps plan will throw another 600 buks from my pocket whereas i am hearing hathway and other providing 1 mbps for 300 more from my present plan.I just need to make sure no FUP applies and its service.
Before you change to hathway or someone else, talk to real users, pricing is not the only criteria. If you run into a problem, Hathway is one of the worst at resolving it. Also who pays for the modem at hathway ?

^ it was a nightmare from 2003 to 2009 due to hathway monopoly in my area, even if they give me 1GBPS UL free for my entire lifetime, I would stay away.

I've been using hathway since the last 6 years mate, i just signed up for mtnl 2.5 months ago, and the internet didn't work for one and half months, if that's service according to you, then in sorry there is nothing to talk about.

My neighbour uses 7star,it is NO FUP and has 0 downtime.

Mtnl staff knows nothing. I raised a complaint every day, 2 old guys came to check everyday, tinkered with some wires, and then complaint resolved.
Next day time for a complaint again. They said my wiring is old, my wiring is shit.. My new tp link 8968 modem plus router is shit, then i tested it with a Tp link 8817 wired modem, they told that is shit too, then i complained to the GM and Ed of broadband, Mumbai, they shifted my connection to a completely different server with a different range of ip addresses and internet has been working fine since the last 10-15 days, on the same SHIT wiring and the same SHIT modem plus router. They refused to accept that fault is on their side. Sadly I had to pay the bill for the entire one and half month when the internet didn't work.

So dont blame me if I bash MTNL. They haven't given me any good experiences to sing accolades about.

Hathway on the other hand has been flawless, you are right, service comes at a price, and me being a student cannot afford the hathway price.

Also coming to the point of MTNL'S unmatched service, i must be having around 50 friends using mtnl.. Not one of them ever compliments them.

20% MTNL customers' internet actually works.. Sadly you have been one of them..

50 friends using MTNL, not one of them compliments them, yet they are still here.

I have personally seen and experienced 7 stars service and FUP (un written), Hathway, the less said, the better, you may be one of the lucky ones.

My work needs continuous connectivity ( Downloading bunches of files is not my primary concern) , if it stops even for 5 seconds, I know immediately. Other then MTNL no one had been able to address that, problem. About MTNL, you have found the right route to address your problems, At least you could reach out to someone. Can you even go beyond the help desk in Hathway? Why do they need to hide their plans and not display them publicly? Why the same with 7 star? Think about that sometime, why the lack of transparency?

^Hathway has never given me problems , once or twice maybe , but then they have staff who have technical knowledge , i think ISP's service differs from region to region .THe techies from hathway who visit have the proper equipement with them , signal testing etc..not like the MTNL ones who come with a wire cutter -_-.

Also my friends are still with MTNL coz their parents SAY SO.

One day when ill get a job , the first thing ill do is leave MTNL.

7star is a local tv operator.I have their entire plans with me on paper.
Also hathway has listed out plans on their websites,for new customers,the other plans are for renewals.[DOUBLEPOST=1381299809][/DOUBLEPOST]
Before you change to hathway or someone else, talk to real users, pricing is not the only criteria. If you run into a problem, Hathway is one of the worst at resolving it. Also who pays for the modem at hathway ?

Hathway will provide a scientific atlanta modem , 50 rupees is the rent for 6 months.

For me , hathway has been the best at resolving problems with even their phone operatives having the technical know-how to tell me whats wrong....

Just find out and and talk to hathway users in your area.

ISPs arent consistent , their service quality depends on your area.

The andheri west-versova area Hathway service is awesome.Most people here have a hathway/7star connection...

I've been using mtnl since they started broadband . In so many years only about 3 days total downtime . I too need it for work and it needs to be always on in the day time . When I watch tech videos they buffer . I have dsl 999 unlimited . Where its 1mbps in day . I wish YouTube didn't buffer though .

I was on Unlimited 550 Combo but switched today to unlimited 650 Combo as i am not a heavy downloader but light gamer. The MTNL pings have improved so much in the last few days. Getting 120-140 ms pings to battlefield european servers and good latency on FIFA 13. Was tempted to switch to Hathway but keeping MTNL. I had Hathway before and switched to MTNL 2 years back as Hathway used to throttle your connection during Peak hours and gaming on MTNL was smoother. I live in Borivali- East but might look at hathway again when DOCIS 3.0 plans are available in my area.

My MTNL experience is also similar to @prateekS albeit for a longer period... after numerous complaints of frequent disconnection, had to mail the GM of my ward and the problem was resolved...
It worked fine for a few months and now it's back....in addition to that, now my connection gets disconnected when I pickup the phone receiver to answer/make a call....

But MTNL experience at my dad's office (some static ip plan) is completely opposite.... negligible disconnection occurrences!

What I have learned from my and friends' experiences is that if your place is close to the local MTNL exchange office, your experience will be awesome... else, depends on your luck... :)

Okay i checked both 5net and hathway service.
Problem with 5net is they have stopped taking connection in my area and are not viable.
Hathway.Well they differ from area to area.
My place is with Hathway bhawani and their plan is of no use.
check here.
http://i.imgur.com/Eldl1il.jpg
I guess only option remains to upgrade to 1mbps plan.

I was on Unlimited 550 Combo but switched today to unlimited 650 Combo as i am not a heavy downloader but light gamer. The MTNL pings have improved so much in the last few days. Getting 120-140 ms pings to battlefield european servers and good latency on FIFA 13. Was tempted to switch to Hathway but keeping MTNL. I had Hathway before and switched to MTNL 2 years back as Hathway used to throttle your connection during Peak hours and gaming on MTNL was smoother. I live in Borivali- East but might look at hathway again when DOCIS 3.0 plans are available in my area.

Im a heavy gamer and my pings are same as before...they dont depend on my speed..atleast in my case..

Okay i checked both 5net and hathway service.
Problem with 5net is they have stopped taking connection in my area and are not viable.
Hathway.Well they differ from area to area.
My place is with Hathway bhawani and their plan is of no use.
check here.
http://i.imgur.com/Eldl1il.jpg
I guess only option remains to upgrade to 1mbps plan.

these plans are more than a year old , hathway has increased speed and reduced prices...is this what the hathway people gave you?

these plans are more than a year old , hathway has increased speed and reduced prices...is this what the hathway people gave you?
Locally i am getting this.Those people wasted my an hour before stating we have no pamphlet left and than mailed me.Problem is its not hathway direct.But hathway bhawani my side.

Also they were stating for router you need to pay 4500+tax and fr configuring further money.As if we are born to pay.

^^ I'm getting 1 Mbps speed right now on unlimited 450 plan!!:D...Although they haven't changed the mentioned 512 kbps on their website.

Are u sure?

I have removed the scheduled reconnects since speed is same.. Wtf!

If i get 1 Mbps again, it'll be great..

Let me reboot once.

I'm getting 0.41 mbps :mad::mad:

Last edited:
Prateek log to mtnl site and see the plan you are on.
What sharang mention is temporary happiness .You never know tomorrow that might change.
Anyways dont be too much positive on mtnl.They are on super duper loss.They have to increase price for what they offer.Else the government has to close it down.Its better if it survives.

Prateek log to mtnl site and see the plan you are on.
What sharang mention is temporary happiness .You never know tomorrow that might change.
Anyways dont be too much positive on mtnl.They are on super duper loss.They have to increase price for what they offer.Else the government has to close it down.Its better if it survives.
Im on the 550combo plan..

What did u mean by log on and see what plan you are on..?

Self care portal?

Back