My Camera!!

phoenix844884

The Analyst
Skilled
Finally! Finally! Finally!
Finally I bought myself a camera. After much debate, both public and internal, I succumbed to temptation and threw practicality out of the window! :p
20 days back I realized that I just had to have a camera. So I created this thread - http://www.techenclave.com/general-portables/help-me-buy-a-camera-152195.html
I was leaning towards the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ7 for its great features and mostly because of the compact form factor. "It would be great to have a super zoom compact camera which I can just whip out and start clicking", I thought.
Then some enlightened souls pointed me towards the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35, and my world came crashing down upon me. I was mesmerized, captivated and totally smitten by it. It had started appearing in my dreams even! :p
I looked around for the best deal for both the cameras, and to my total astonishment, found out that reputed camera dealers and sellers do not deal in Panasonic cameras at all! The major electronics stores just had Sony, Canon and sometimes Kodak cameras. I found a seller named "solardigitalcam" who sells Panasonic cameras on ebay, and that he has a brick and mortar shop in Palika Bazaar, New Delhi. The mention of Palika Bazaar sent me into depression as it is a well known gray market, and the quality and longevity of electronics bought from there are any body's guess.
Swallowing my fears, I went to their shop, and it turned out they are very knowledgeable about cameras, open to discussion, and very patient with their customers. After all I went there to blow up almost 20,000 INR! Anyhow I told them to show me both the Pannys. I played with both of them to my heart's content, took pictures, checked the shutter count, zoom, various features and in all, spent about 45 minutes with the cameras.
Even then I was torn between the two. On one hand was the TZ7 with its super zoom and great features all packed into the compact and sleek frame, giving me portability. On the other was the FZ35, the beast hidden within that shell, with mega zoom and tons of features over and above what TZ7 has. But with that I had to compromise on the portability.
So I kept them side by side and spent another 10 minutes thinking. But I kept drifting back to FZ35, even though compactness and portability of TZ7 suited me. In the end, I just said, "If it has to be my camera, then it has to be the FZ35". And that was it!

Friends, I present to you my Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35.

I know my photography skill warrant a lot of work, but I am working on it. These pictures were taken with an ancient 4MP Olympus, and I apologize for the poor quality.

Also splurged some cash on the Transcend 16GB Class 6 SD card and a beautiful Case Logic Camera Bag.

Damages -
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 - Rs. 19,000/-
Transcend 16GB Class 6 SD card - Rs. 2100/-
Case Logic Camera Bag - Rs. 1450/-

Big thanks to all the people who helped me through the forums and PM.

Awesome price mate! test shots please!

Why is your current olympus camera's image quality so fubar? Real high ISO?

Sorry I wasn't able to reply to your PMs, I have my exam on Tuesday, been real busy and didn't want to give you any vague info. But great price and great camera. How much was he quoting for TZ7?

I was majorly torn between the Sony HX1 and TZ7, then after much thought, I went for portability, but then as I discussed it over with you via PM, the shortcomings of TZ7 that I was soon to realize. But all in all, both are great cameras and you made a good decision by going in for a camera with more manual controls, experiment around.

Take your camera with you everywhere you go, carrying the bag around with you everywhere would be a big PITA, so if I was you, I'd ditch it. I've ditched the bag for my TZ7 since it becomes an extra baggage ya know? I can just slip the camera in my pocket instead.

My advice:- Don't ever leave home without your camera! :)

Cheers! Enjoy mate.

great thingy. congrats. me too setting up my mind on getting HX1.

also Pm me the address of the palika dealer. i've heard about them but do not know the exact address. also gimme your location too. please invite me for a demo. :p REQUEST!!

Back