User Review My experience and simple review of Samsung galaxy watch 4

Hi
About a month and a half back , I had purchased a Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 from the Forum itself.
It was meant for a relative who was kinna concerned about a recently diagnosed health issue.
But ultimately he realized he isn't cut out for such a gadget so it came back to me.

Here is my experience.
PXL_20220521_220746710.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20220521_220817883.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20220521_220906009.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20220521_220921541.PORTRAIT.jpg

Cosmetics:
Nice looking watch ( I have the black version and using it with spigen strap), its the watch 4 and not the classic , pretty light.
Screen is great, didn't find any lag in interface, resolution and illumination of the screen is awesome.
Touch sensitivity is fine, the 44mm size is the sweetest one and looks great.
No issues connecting it via BT to my LG G8x Thinq.

Functionality :
The first thing that I did after resetting was install ECG and BP , it was a breeze to get them to work.
so it has BT calling, all notifications access, Spo2, BP, ECG, body composition, heart rate, stress measurement, far too many exercise modes etc.
Initially i was not that hopeful as i had read many reviews and all..
PXL_20220521_220951666.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20220521_221000051.PORTRAIT.jpg

Got a couple of updates in last 1 month and after the second update I reset it and reinstalled latest modded ECG and BP apps and I can say each and every reading is pretty fine.
initially the spo2 was kina off, the step count had around 6 to 10% error ( was showing more in steps)

But now i can say everything is satisfactory... step count is good ( may be 5% off compared to my iphone 7 ), spo2 is perfect, BT calling is great ( the speaker is lod enough and i can talk fine with its microphone,, even if modded but the blood pressure and Ecg functions are decent.

Battery backup
Yes as usual with all things android the battery backup is a highly debatable issue, but if you are smart enough and use some usual settings to conserve power, it can last you two days.
PXL_20220521_221345434.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20220521_221405742.PORTRAIT.jpg

I have read reports that people are finding it difficult to charge it and they say it takes longer, but I dunno , i took out one of my older US pin Samsung charger that i had got when i had imported the sprint s2 to be used on reliance cdma, that nifty little charging block charges it perfectly fine within 1.5 to 2 hours.

I was not willing to keep it initially as there was no need for me but i think I will be using it now.

Talked to my cousin who is a doctor. Even with Apple Watch , it is something they cannot consider.
Exactly. I would not put much stock in the data this puts out without double-checking with dedicated equipment.

Measuring anything is a tedious affair and having second opinions ie. redundant equipment is invaluable

This does not mean not to use it but if it flags something don't panic.

SpO2 requires fingers not to be cold or sweaty when using an oximeter. Also, you should wait at least 30 secs to get a reading.

BP is an entire ballgame on its own even with dedicated equipment like Omron. The engineering put into making such a monitor is phenomenal.

- Must not want to go to the toilet ie. make sure you already went.
- Can't take it within half an hour of eating.
- Readings are best taken when in a relaxed state. Sitting down for at least a half-hour. You need to be quiet when readings are taken and not talking.
- Both your legs need to be flat on the ground and not dangling.
- Arms need to be at heart level when using a certified Omron BP monitor. The monitor should be at the same level as your arm. Not higher or lower.
- Your posture on a chair needs to be relaxed with your back straight. So take it sitting down and not standing up.
- You need a minimum of three readings which you then average. What counts here is consistent readings. If they are all over the place then your measuring method or equipment is faulty.
- Cuff used should be the right size. Too big or too small throws readings off. I found the default one (medium) too small for my arm and too big for my mothers. I had to get a kid's size one for her. Only Omron offers different cuff lengths because it has been in this business since the 70s. World renown. Certified calibrated at the factory.
- Time of the day when measurements are taken must be consistent. Your BP can vary in the morning compared to other times and this is natural.
- You have to keep a log to spot trends. One off reading does not mean anything.
- An interesting point, maybe it only applies to this BP monitor because a smartwatch will by default be closer than 7m
This medical device manufactured by OMRON HEALTHCARE conforms to this EN60601-1-2:2007 standard for both immunity and emissions. Nevertheless, special precautions need to be observed: Do not use mobile (cellular) telephones and other devices, which generate strong electrical or electromagnetic fields, near the medical device. This may result in incorrect operation of the unit and create potentially unsafe situation. Recommendation is to keep minimum distance of 7m. Verify correct operation of the device in case the distance is shorter. Further documentation in accordance with EN60601-1-2:2007 is available at OMRON HEALTHCARE EUROPE at the address mentioned in this instruction manual.

Lot of crap to keep in mind here when measuring BP :confused:

If you do all that then Omron says their readings will be within the margins or error (within 3mm Hg) as if a doctor did it with a sphygmomanometer.

So you see the chances of error creeping into readings with dedicated equipment like SpO2 & BP are already significant without proper knowledge of using that equipment.

A smart watch pretends to relieve you of this learning curve. Really?

The reason these Omron BP monitors took off is they offer convenience and if used properly a more accurate way of tracking BP than a doctor could ever do with just one reading taken in the office. In fact, going by some reviews I've seen on Amazon US the medical staff weren't following proper measuring procedures and people got put on BP medication or had it increased for no reason or worse not put on medication at all.

ECG might be the simplest thing for a watch to measure. It has good access to pulse rates so plotting that out should not be too difficult.

Last edited:
It is just 5% off from your iPhone in counting steps? That is a great improvement. A phone is more accurate for counting steps because it is near our legs which transfers the vibrations better and hence results in accurate readings. I didn't know watches can do that too. Last time I checked the watches had a horrible accuracy as a step counter. Looks like the tech has advanced.

It is just 5% off from your iPhone in counting steps? That is a great improvement. A phone is more accurate for counting steps because it is near our legs which transfers the vibrations better and hence results in accurate readings. I didn't know watches can do that too. Last time I checked the watches had a horrible accuracy as a step counter. Looks like the tech has advanced.
I am in the process of getting more accurate readings
There are times when I don't vary my phone when I am home and steps are recorded in watch but not in phone, tbh i need a few more readings

Floor count is accurate
Will record more via the Pedometer and update about deviation.

Well i stand corrected
This is actually fantastic there is negligible difference tbh [emoji16]
Today I was on off so put on the watch just before going for evening walk and picked up the phone at the same tune..
Here are the readings, phone was in the pockets of the shorts and watch was on the wrist.. I can say the claims of error are unfounded
Watch steps reading = 4959
Syeps in iphone 7 = 4936
PXL_20220524_190624326.PORTRAIT_(1).jpg

Sir how accurate is the ecg, bp etc. monitoring?
Well ecg is like a a small hint, and its not right to call it ecg.. Its just a method in the watch to notice abnormal Heart beats that's it nothing more.

Blood pressure is actually decent, i have taken the blood pressure using omron machine and then the watch and they are generally close.

I would suggest, even if so called ecg seems alright, it's far far away from bring diagnostic, but yeah if at all there is some kind of abnormality and specifically of fibrillation type, (which is like the beating of atria and ventricles not in sync) then this can tell you...

But apart from that it can't tell nothing, ecg generally gives an idea of the past heart attacks, a developing condition of sone sort when done using electrodes at a medical facility, the watch is just nothing compared to that... So please don't use it for the sake that it will tell you of an impending condition or something similar.

Edit
Please keep on mind......

There is one more thing
As we tend to move our hands far too often even when we are sitting and not moving, hence the error in step count will always be therw
The above trading was accurate in that standard environment where both gadgets were used from scratch simultaneously.

Last edited:
The watch is awesome but the battery life is so bad. You can't really use it for sleep tracking as such if you use it for all day tracking. And if you have to charge it twice a day then whats the point!? I returned it and got a Huawei gt3. It's no smartwatch but its a good all day tracker

The watch is awesome but the battery life is so bad. You can't really use it for sleep tracking as such if you use it for all day tracking. And if you have to charge it twice a day then whats the point!? I returned it and got a Huawei gt3. It's no smartwatch but its a good all day tracker
If you can set some settings right, the battery backup is decent tbh

I found these pretty nice pixel watch faces which can be installed for free,
hence sharing
How to install pixel watch faces on samsung galaxy watch 4 and 5

Last edited:
I've been using this watch for a few months now and my views are almost the same as OP

- I like the look of the watch, the buttons are good and tactile.
- I went a little overprotective and am using a tempered glass and a spigen case, plus a leather band. The included rubber watch band wasn't very sturdy and looked cheap
- I like how easy it is to install apps on wear Os. The watch doesn't really lag
- It recognizes it when I'm playing table tennis at my office and starts a workout timer on its own.
- notifications are good too. And you can select per app notifications in the settings
- Battery life is 1 full day

ECG in medical terms is taken from 12 pair of leads.
So each pair of lead sees a particular part of heart in a 3 dimensional picture.
So ECG from a watch is basically a Rhythm check of heart and can be useful in particular conditions. Yes definitely useful.

Spo2 is very close to medical devices.
I had done a comparision on my YouTube channel long long back and Spo2 is reliable but its slower to capture on a watch.

Blood pressure also I haven't tried on my galaxy watch but capillary pressure mostly will be extrapolated to calculate the blood pressure.
(If it's not very off then we can use it in a pinch definitely)

Last edited:
Using The Watch 4 LTE from past 3 months ,Its been great so far the positives are it tracks activities good enough , the build is sturdy and watch runs without any lag .Just one downside is the battery life its just a day max. And thanks for the post got to know about the ECG and BP monitor , didn't knew it can be activated in india.

Using The Watch 4 LTE from past 3 months ,Its been great so far the positives are it tracks activities good enough , the build is sturdy and watch runs without any lag .Just one downside is the battery life its just a day max. And thanks for the post got to know about the ECG and BP monitor , didn't knew it can be activated in india.
True for the battery life... But then samsung was never known for battery life for any of its products till date (if there are a few then I am sorry I am not aware)...
But then again there are so. Many things to play with in this watch that battery would never be a strong suit ever...
Still. You can follow this guide, should help...

My suggestion would be to keep lte off if you are carrying your phone...
Monitor sleep for a few days and then keep it switched off at night...
Biggest hog is AOD, try and keep it off... Switch to touch to turn the screen on or raise hand to switch on the screen...
All the other tweaks on the above video are easy to follow as one doesn't need them as it is...
All the best...

Me too using this watch for more than a month now. Battery life is full one day.

People may switch off it at night and prolong battery life to two days. Sleep tracking is terrible anyway as per my experience. I couldn't track my sleep. It doesn't resume sleep tracking if you need to awaken for some reason during night. It considers you awake after your first sleep break. It's sensing of when you are fall asleep or sleep quality is also not confidence inspiring. I have stopped wearing it for sleep tracking and instead use it for two days during daytime.

My suggestion would be to keep lte off if you are carrying your phone...
Monitor sleep for a few days and then keep it switched off at night...
Biggest hog is AOD, try and keep it off... Switch to touch to turn the screen on or raise hand to switch on the screen...
All the other tweaks on the above video are easy to follow as one doesn't need them as it is...
All the best...
Thanks for the tips.

Back