User Review My Love-Hate relation ship with the Redmi K20 Pro - Long Term Review

Which ROM are you on now? Reason of switching?
currently on spark OS,looking to change very soon.

switched from evoX as the dev said that he'll sell his device and stop maintaining but now still gives updates after he opened donations and people donated a fair bit. Also there were some tiny bugs with gpay(i use paytm now). the dev does seem to be a bit weird ngl but the rom is overall good with regular updates.

now i'm gonna switch from spark because of a VERY annoying memory leak bug that idk is in the OSS kernel or the custom launcher i'm using(oneplus port). apps get unusable as if i'm on a phone that is 10 years old. as soon as i restart systemUI, everything becomes smooth af again. happens around twice a day.

i'm lookin to go to PE becuase of the AMAZING battery life basically just waiting for the september security patch to go live and i'll get that. apart from that,might just go back to miui(EU) because imo, the GCam on k20pro sucks(atleast the configs i tested) for selfies on indian skin tones.

Can you share your experiences with each ROM? Pros and Cons? Difference in performance and battery life?
Spark/Arrow/Pe - Based on A12 , customization options are available, aesthetically appealing, few bugs here and there like FOD sometimes not working, screen jittering etc , performance wise good
On the battery front - average , 15%/hr drain with SoT ranging from 6-7 on light usage.

*one major con on Spark - Heating

Lineage - less customization options, just barebone android, FOD implementation was buggy and had major bugs

OOS Port - oxygen OS port of OP7pro , based on A11 , from performance to day to day operations everything was great, Battery Backup was 8-10%/hr and SOT between 8-9 on light usage. Only con was buggy FOD implementation.

Also device is almost 2yrs old so I understand that on battery front it would have deteriorated with time.

What I really hate about my k20 pro is the difference in performance from a newly rebooted/restarted OS to 4-5 days being turned on. Literal 60 fps to 2 fps in games. I can't find out the reason, multiple OS updates so far none of them fixed it. On stock ROM btw.

What I really hate about my k20 pro is the difference in performance from a newly rebooted/restarted OS to 4-5 days being turned on. Literal 60 fps to 2 fps in games. I can't find out the reason, multiple OS updates so far none of them fixed it. On stock ROM btw.
You can try custom ROMs , gaming performance is quiet good there , but you loose on battery front
You can go for Deprfest or OOS port

You can try custom ROMs , gaming performance is quiet good there , but you loose on battery front
You can go for Deprfest or OOS port
I might try xiaomi.eu ROM in the future depending on my motivation. No further custom than that. Major reason why I haven't changed my ROM is my data. I don't want to lose anything and backup looks like a pain. Copying files over USB is too slow and I have too many files.

Not facing any such problems on stock ROM and call of duty

I might try xiaomi.eu ROM in the future depending on my motivation. No further custom than that. Major reason why I haven't changed my ROM is my data. I don't want to lose anything and backup looks like a pain. Copying files over USB is too slow and I have too many files.
Yeah backing up seems like pain sometimes

Exact same issue here. Been rocking the K20 pro since November 2020 and ever since the MIUI 12.5 update, the phone stutters, freezes, hangs, crashes and whatnot. Such capable hardware but companies using planned obsolescence to force users like us to buy a new phone.

Exact same issue here. Been rocking the K20 pro since November 2020 and ever since the MIUI 12.5 update, the phone stutters, freezes, hangs, crashes and whatnot. Such capable hardware but companies using planned obsolescence to force users like us to buy a new phone.
This is a very very well documented issue, phone manufacturers are sending bad OTA updates to force people into buying phones more often. What a bad way to contribute to more e-waste in name of greed

Evo X users, are all the customizations back on A12? Which is the latest stable version? I'm still on Evo X 4.7 and it was great but now I'm facing a bug where at times the device charges at 0.5 Watt.

Use ShareMe app on K20 Pro and do PC Share. It will host a FTP server on your phone.
Use Filezilla on PC/Laptop to connect to this FTP server.
Files transferred via WiFi (over FTP) in this way, are transferred much faster compared to USB.

Copying files over USB is too slow and I have too many files.
Wired transfer is the quickest way to transfer 'too many files'. The file directory structure is also maintained which would require the paid version of any wireless transfer app to match. The free ones ignore file directories and dump everything in one folder.

Alternative is a pen drive. Course you would need a large capacity one to match. But this means an extra spend which isn't there with a wired transfer that comes OOTB

Use ShareMe app on K20 Pro and do PC Share. It will host a FTP server on your phone.
Use Filezilla on PC/Laptop to connect to this FTP server.
Files transferred via WiFi (over FTP) in this way, are transferred much faster compared to USB.
Looks like everyone is using my good old reliable way to transfer stuff.
One addition, there is also an FTP server app on play store that also has option to not let your phone go to sleep. Works most times.
BTW my K20pro has started giving lots of issues. Main being Ghost touch issues. It was driving me mad.
But its been in very less since I started using the phone without a cover? I dont have any front or back cover. Using phone naked lol.
Risky but better than buying a new phone. Especially when I am otherwise satisfied with it.

Evo X users, are all the customizations back on A12? Which is the latest stable version? I'm still on Evo X 4.7 and it was great but now I'm facing a bug where at times the device charges at 0.5 Watt.
iirc evo 12L has SELinux permissive.(also in general is not very well recommended in the community)

Back