Narayana Murthy says Indian youth should work 70 hours a week

Do you agree with his statement

• Yes

• No

• Don't give a shit

Results are only viewable after voting.
Just like we got Independence paying heavy price, we may enjoy Good Economy by giving more time at work/job.
Given Atlee becoming prime minister, and UK's condition in the world, "heavy price" or not, all countries "held" by the British got independence around the same time, within 5-10 years' period. Before that or without that happening, much heavier price also wouldn't have helped or didn't help. Churchill would have never allowed that.

Similarly, more time at work/job is also an independent variable from "good economy". We might work smart, keep the health and sanity, and achieve "good economy".

Elon musk:
Equally garbage mindset, then.

What Murthy doesn't address is the bigger picture. He's correlating productivity to the number of hours put in. India doesn't have a GDP problem, yet the per capita income is in the dumps. Why? Because of the number of hours? No. There is a lack of proper training, upskilling, robust rewards and recognition programs, low salaries, attitudes of "for every rupee earned, you need to kiss my ass"

People like Murthy are responsible for the following behavior in corporates:

so who stops you to work for Your Self, just take risk and explore more opportunities along with RISK of Failure.

Mr. N. Murthy may be warn youth/their employee to be ready to work for more hours or be ready to face job cut. Choice is yours.

I know it's not easy for someone due to various personal/organizational/works/health/mental issue.

Just like we got Independence paying heavy price, we may enjoy Good Economy by giving more time at work/job.
For own business one can work even 80 hours that’s not the problem.

The problem is expoitaion that people like Murthy and other capitalists do. They exploit labour for their own profits which they want to maximise.

1698445698655.jpeg

The problem is expoitaion that people like Murthy and other capitalists do. They exploit labour for their own profits which they want to maximise.
Also if you're exhausted, you won't have the time/energy to fight back and easier to control

Should one want to work 70hrs a week is up to oneself. But, I will say this - no one has to.

Increasing productivity in manufacturing is of course one way to help the country's economy; it has been known to work in the past. But I believe we should put more emphasis on designing. With only manufacturing prowess, we'd basically be serving someone who designs and therefore owns a product. This would only result in us basically being a side-chick to Western & European countries where most ideas are patented & products are designed, with China still being the main-chick - this not to sensationalise; I just can't think of a better analogy. It is only if/when we excel in designing & manufacturing, that we can be self-sustainable.

Much of this 'fruit of labour' talk seems to come from people who have a skin in this service/manufacturing industry; people who had climbed up the the industry's ladder, when it was the only known way to help the economy; people who did/had-to-do this may be out hard work, determination, discipline or simply out of sheer privilege and oppurtunities that entailed. They simply want to keep the existing ladder that has benefitted them, whether or not they believe it's they only way to serve the country and can't seem/afford to stand the fact that there may be are other ways & people may want to build on that.

These are first-world problems and not even related to the topic being discussed. He was being paid crores while being away from home.
.. and those who left game or ask for rest in between matches were not getting money?

Dhoni's mentality related with this topic, Dhoni stick to his commitment (work first) and other stick to their (family first), So MS Dhoni is still at place where others (even with bigger numbers than MS) can't.

Be ready to accept change and implement same in life or soon you will be replaced by others, if you are innovative and precious for Organization, they will mend law/rule for you else will replace you ... choice is yours
For own business one can work even 80 hours that’s not the problem.
this is the main issue with Employees, it's not my so why I work hard...

if employee have such mindset than better leave and start their own, at least he will not regret that whole life he work for Employer and Employer earn Trillions just with that employees help.

I'm not against any Employee or workers as I know without them non of industry can survive, but those who can't make their mind for more working hours, just an unwanted suggestion to all of them.. just take leave or resign from your company and start same business and run it at least for 3 yrs., and soon you will get answer to all your if & but's

Employee should start thinking about Employer and Employer too need to start thinking about Employee, but as all Employer are not same at same time all employee are also not same.

Last edited:
.. and those who left game or ask for rest in between matches were not getting money?

Dhoni's mentality related with this topic, Dhoni stick to his commitment (work first) and other stick to their (family first), So MS Dhoni is still at place where others (even with bigger numbers than MS) can't.

Be ready to accept change and implement same in life or soon you will be replaced by others, if you are innovative and precious for Organization, they will mend law/rule for you else will replace you ... choice is yours

this is the main issue with Employees, it's not my so why I work hard...

if employee have such mindset than better leave and start their own, at least he will not regret that whole life he work for Employer and Employer earn Trillions just with that employees help.

I'm not against any Employee or workers as I know without them non of industry can survive, but those who can't make their mind for more working hours, just an unwanted suggestion to all of them.. just take leave or resign from your company and start same business and run it at least for 3 yrs., and soon you will get answer to all your if & but's

Employee should start thinking about Employer and Employer too need to start thinking about Employee, but as all Employer are not same at same time all employee are also not same.
I am all for productivity - but we also have a toxic work culture where number of hours matter more than the outcome / results.
It’s so deeply embedded that even trying to change it within my own team doesn’t yield results.

The problem starts when people who are willing to not while away time / work smartly during the day so that they can wrap up work on time get skipped for promos/ good ratings over people who can demonstrate they are ready to slog - regardless of results

Back