Need a laptop budget : 33k

Brendon

Skilled
Hi guys, my summer job requires that I use a laptop, so decided to take the plunge. My budget is 30k, stretchable to 33k abt. Im from Mumbai, but ill buy from the outskirts to escape octroi of 4%.

I want the smallest/lightest laptop with the smallest possible screen size. Whats unimportant are the processor - any will do, infact mostly I will downclock them to increase battery life. Harddisk and ram are again unimportant.

I saw a Iball laptop with a 12" screen. Wondering if I should go for that ? But I have real doubts about iball as a brand.

Well, according to your budget, you will never get a 12" screen laptop. Anyways the best deal, you can get is Acer Laptop which sells for 31-32k, which has a 15" screen and wieghs around 2.5kg. The other option is a laptop from HCL, which has a 14" sceen but wieghts around 2.6kg.

Well, thats the thing. I know that most manufacturers like ASUS and HP sell laptops with a 12" screen for 60k + . But iball is selling it for abt 36k. I would be willing to spend 3k more since I will never get that sort of feature in a laptop. Though it is a bit surprising that a 12" screen laptop costs more than a 15.4" WXGA laptop. Isnt bigger better ?

Well, smaller the laptop, more compact the part has to desgined and fitted togather. Hence, it cost more. I wouldnt even buy iBall laptop even if they are giving for free. Thier tag line is so sick "Your eyeball view, our technolog new". I have seen thier ads and they cant even write proper english. Forget about them making good laptops. Companies like Lenova, Acer and many more spend Million $ doing RnD for laptops. This is all about brand recognisation, and personally for me, I think you should give Iball company a pass. Just my 2 cents.

Well thanks for your reply. I too hate iball after using their mice and headphones which broke after 7 months due to bad quality design and plastics. So yeah I suppose I should skip this iball laptop.

Really tempted to go for the Acer 3003 laptop with AMD Sempron 3000+ processor, 256 mb ram, 15.4 Widescreen display, 60 Gb hdd & a dvd writer for just 35k ! But it is too bulky and the battery lasts for just over an hour.

I saw a Gigabyte laptop for 33k. Basic specs like 1.4 Ghz Celeron, 40 Gb hdd and 14" display. Gigabyte won some awards from digit. Not too sure if that has any weightage knowing digit, but Gigabyte is a decent brand and should be better than Acer at least.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record:

Check the V2000 series Celeron M based laptops from HP...

you sud be able to get a 14" widescreen moderate weight lappy within your budget

What makes you think it would be better than acer as a brand.. Acer is one of the top 5 companies selling laptops. Alright its the fifth.
If nothing as processor, ram, hdd are important then get the cheapest sahara laptop. They have scaled down everything already.
You should look for a centrino celeron laptop with a 8-cell battery for both cost and battery backup requirement.
And as rightly pointed out price is inversely proportional to screen size. You get a 17" or 15.4" laptop for $400 or less in US.

I have nothing against Acer, it is just that I have heard from people who have Acer that the build quality isnt up to the mark and when open the screen shakes from even a gentle breeze. Besides that people are happy with their purchase. But centrino is out of the question considering my small budget. I might just buy an 8 cell battery later if I can afford it.

About the Compaq, I really liked it (the widescreen) , but on rediff, the cheapest Compaq widescreen is like 37k. Will the street price be abt 35k or abt. If it is, then I will try and increase my budget to get the Compaq notebook.

Whatever make/model you choose, I'd suggest noy buying from a retail outlet...

Just finalize the model you want to pick up and then get it from the bulk sellers/distris that you'll find in say Nehru Place (delhi) or Ritchie street (Chennai), dunno bout Bombay though..

though these guys will not their stuff displayed in showcases (Which is why need to finalize the make/model before gng) , but they'll give you a nice 10-15% disc. over retail rates :D

Thanks for the tip, problem is Mumbai is the octroi of 4% which is charged on the laptop. Will try both Lamington Road as well as Thane (outside Mumbai) which would mean no octroi charge.

Also you seem to like portable devices. See you have 2 laptops and a minimac as well.

BTW I just saw an esys laptop. It seems like a good company. The config is standard, but the price is awesome. - Just 28k including taxes ! With that price, I can even get a 8 cell battery option within my budget.

http://cgi.ebay.in/Lowest-on-Ebay-e...goryZ177QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Ok, will do that. Ive narrowed down my choices to the Acer laptop with 14" widescreen + dvd writer for 33k and all the other basic features and the compaq widescreen one for 35000 approx.

Will see both in person before making my final decision. Thanks to everybody who replied to my query.

Hmm I can see reviews on the net that Acer's service is horrible and they have a lot of issues with build quality. Not seen anything bad about compaq other than the higher price.

Anybody having an Acer laptop or used an Acer laptop can comment on Acer's service and build quality?

Couple of my friends have acer centrino laptops. Build quality is okay but i didnt like the looks n the color scheme of all those laptops.

Does the compaq lappy have silver color coz it looks very good. I say go for compaq one. Make sure it has inbuilt wifi.

Thnaks Hunter. Yeah the Compaq has silver color and according to reviews, a good build quality as well. Im not too concerned with the looks and color, coz while the Compaq has good looks, it can get dirty very easily. Acer color scheme is OK for me, dont have much of an issue. I was basically concerned with the build quality.

The only problem with the Compaq is that it is priced at arnd 37k on ebay and rediff which is a bit above my max budget. So will have to somehow convince my banker (aka dad) to give me 7k more for the Compaq. Will have to check the price at LR and out of town to see if it is a bit cheaper.

I really like the widescreen as it reduces the laptop footprint. So will decide only between the Acer 14' widescreen and the Compaq. I must say that Acer has really improved on the screen front. They had horrible LCD screens before.

I have a bad feeling my dad will not let me spend more for the Compaq and I will have to choose Acer, so can anybody else comment on Acer laptops.

i suggest u check on LR as the rates on ebay n rediff are quite off the roof,LR u shud get it musch down to earth rates depending on the type of shop u go,dont make a decision before u go there n enquire what are the rates...

Thanks for the tip soulfire, I thought at least where laptops are concerned they may be close to LR prices on ebay. But I could be wrong, so will have to wait till I get back to Mumbai to check up the prices.

Really wanting to get that Compaq. Compaq has really few problems with their notebooks. Have not even heard of anybody sending their Compaq notebooks for repair ! Plus it is the lightest among the cheap laptops at 2.38 kgs and it has a 6 cell battery compared to the mostly 4 cell batteries present in most Acer low end laptops.

Only one Acer laptop has a 6 cell battery (low end segment) , costs 35k (ebay) and comes with a DVD Writer ! Something I dont have in my desktop. But will check ground realities in LR first before deciding.

I thought at least where laptops are concerned they may be close to LR prices on ebay. But I could be wrong,

Very wrong :bleh:

LR rates should be ~2-2.5K lower, and DIstri/bulk seller rates should be ~4K lower

Wow ! 2.5k less for a laptop is good. Im hoping for 2.5k less for the Compaq which will drop the price to 33.5k from 36k - making it within my budget. Lets see Ill browse through many shops in LR and find out.

Anybody from Mumbai know any good shops (i.e. shops that sell laptops cheap!) in LR where I can buy a laptops. Most shops I know like Plug and Play have the laptops on display, so cant be cheap.

Back