Need a laptop budget : 33k

That Acer seems good. As for a DVD-combo vs DVDRW, DVDRW is actually not that imp to most of us. Just ask urself do u really need a DVDRW, usually we dont burn DVDs much. CD is still the best, Its cheap, burns fast, n you can get a CDrewiteable at a very cheap price then the DVDrw.
ok enuf with the advise you might have understood wht i ment.:bangin:

btw if you dont need Widescreen then this Lenovo seems perfect link. It is priced 36750 on Computer Warehouse, but you can find it cheaper in the markets.

Reviews: Pcworld
Gamespot
Pcmag

Just think upon it Cnet.com gave this Lenovo a 7.4 ratings. Also Lenovo's are very good notebook guys they have one the best notebooks in the market.:beer: :judge:

hey BF, some reality check. The laptops seen on the acer india site is all whats available in India. the celeron model with a DVD writer isnt available in India to the best I know. The Computer warehouse link, you provided for reference is outdated. Most of the laptop models have been discontinued. I strongly suggested checking out a few acer/hp showrooms and get their pricing.

BF1983 said:
@Sourabh - Thanks for all the links and reviews. Abt the widescreen laptops, I have seen the ads in the Times of India Mumbai edition many times. It was for 29990 + taxes.

Will check the Lenovo laptop, but not sure if it will be less than 35k. Mostly I will stick to a widescreen laptop for the only reason that the laptop footprint is much smaller. AnandTech: $600 Notebook Roundup - Crowning the Affordability King

Computer Warehouse has it for 36000 but u can find it cheaper in the markets something like 2-4K cheaper. It would be a great buy but if you want a Widescreen then go for a compaq. btw have u checked the reviews i linked u in the previous post about the Lenovo.

He he, sorry but actually I thought Sourabh had posted abt the Lenovo as well. Thanks killer, I dont like the Lenovo much, but it has some really great security features like hard drive protection and a one button press recovery.

I now will have to decide if I really need the widescreen or go for security. (And the fact that I it already comes with 512 Mb ram)

Man sometimes I hate choices ! :frusty:

Assuming the Lenovo R51 is pretty much the same as the IBM R50e,

leaving the configuration differences apart, here is my take:

Pros: Solid build (feels indestructible, really!)

Cons: The LCD quality is nowhere near the V2000's widescreen

PS: The lenovo has trackpoint vs the trackpad on the Compaq....

Trackpad is very hard to use IMHO. But it will be fine if u master it. I would never use the trackpad when i m at home or office, better to use a mini mouse.

Lenovo is always known to produce solid products that can impress the croud just by its name. There Products look very sophisticated, rich and expensive. But at the same time provide loads of features. If u want high sercurity then a Lenovo is great is every aspect, not to mention this One button Recovery feature. But its all upto him.

Trackpad is very hard to use IMHO

Not really....also, choosing between touchpad/trackpad/mouse is a matter of personal prefernce, and i really don;t mind any of these input devices...

BTW, The Lenovo is a lot heavier in comparison to the compaq (sumthng i forgot to note as a con in my previous post)

Thats the bloody problem ! Its upto me ! I was having a hard time choosing between the Acer and the Compaq and now Lenovo has added to it ! Oh well.

Anyways I need a laptop that is portable as I will be travelling a lot on my bike. So size does matter. Weight matters to an extent since I will be lugging it around.

What doesnt matter is processing power as I will be running browsers and powerpoint presentations. No gaming or any other demanding software.

The compaq and acer fit my criteria to some extent since they are decently small and light and have a good build quality. The IBM is a bit big due to the 15" screen, but not too big. Though it weighs almost 500 gms more than the Compaq or Acer.

What really sets it apart is the hard drive protection and recovery which will be important given that I will be giving presentations to managers and cant aford a crash to ruin the presentation. So it makes it a really good feature for me.

Say, does anybody have any idea how much a 2 year extended warranty (total 3 years) cost ?

Also check out this website and the HCL Infiniti Powerlite 6000 G2. I want to point out the fact that it has a 3 year warranty. Laptop Expo '06

I want to know if it is really worth spending more money to get a 3 year warranty. Coz replacement parts of laptops are expensive.

I would never get HCL they are not that into notebooks as compaq, acer n lenovo.

btw which compaq preserio n acer u considering. Post the model nos

Well, didnt find any good remarks about the Dell, so mostly I think I will stick with the IBM, since it is really rock solid and already comes prebuilt with 512 MB ram, and the security features make it better than the compaq or acer (for me at least).

Also I found out that the Lamington Road price is about 34k, so thats within my budget and I dont have to spend anything extra for upgrading the ram since it is already 512 MB. So thanks to everyone who helped me in making this decision. :hap2:

Thanks for all the help guys. Went to Lamington Road today. Couldnt find the Thinkpad R51 in any shop for less than 36k.

Was abt to go for the Compaq 2384 for 33.5k when I came to this small shop that had just one laptop with them. After seeing it, I fell in love but saw that it was a Centrino and so I was about to leave the shop, when he told me the price - 39500 ! for a HP Pavillion DV4000 with Centrino 1.5 Ghz, 256 Mb ddr2, 40 Gb, DVD Combo and 14" widescreen + Original Windows XP Home SP2 ! I couldnt let such a deal pass me by, so I paid him 35k and took one of the shop people home to pay him the balance.

The laptop is just great ! I love the looks and features. Just wanted to say thanks for all the help ! :hap2:

Back