Need a New phone for 16K

pavankumar14

Disciple
1. Q: Budget?
A: 16K Max

2. Q: Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar

3. Q: Preferred display type?
A: TFT

4. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: Dislike Samsung, Spice etc for their design and build

5. Q: Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen (capacitive only)

6. Q: Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: 5MP + Flash

7. Q: Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android 2.3

8. Q: Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: 3G/Wifi/GPS

9. Q: What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: Browsing, multimedia, Applications. Expecting good battery back up.

10. Q: Any other requirements?
A: 3.2" screen or more and Build Quality should be good.

11. Q: If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: Zeroed in on HTC Salsa(Not a FB Fan though), Have got good reviews from HTC Users and I'm ok with 252K color screen.

Any other Suggestions ?

Htc salsa, motorola defy (no official 2.3), se x10 (official 2.3. 3 launched in india). All are good. Salsa does have inferior screen and processor compared to others. Regarding camera i think defy edges salsa as the worst 5 mp camera among droids.

Well honestly you would be better off with Motorola Defy. It is waterproof, dustproof and morever life proof. Also unfortunately, phones in the 16-20k range tend to have only decent to ok cameras. So do not expect good camera performance with Defy, but also in the meantime it is not bad for a 5mp camera phone. Buying a Defy would be better due to pricing, decent specs hardware wise and also plenty of opportunities to custom mod it thanks to XDA.

Specs - Motorola DEFY - Full phone specifications
Price - Motorola Defy MB525 | Motorola Mobile Phones | Saholic.com

User thread here discusses about anything and everything you need to know about Defy -
http://www.techenclave.com/mobile-phones/the-motorola-defy-thread-191764.html

Here is the battery life of Defy explained. It Obviously depends on how you use the phone. Also with any android phone battery life is impossible to predict. It varies.

The battery life of the Defy is fine. The 1500 mAh battery provides the phone with enough power to make it last for some time. Of course, the use of intensive functions, such as internet, camera or video reduce the battery life to a great extend. There are a couple of functions that can be used to lengthen the battery life. The screen time out can is adjustable, and there is the ‘battery profile’ option. Just as with a notebook, one can choose different profiles such as the accomplishment mode, the clever mode, energy saving and the possibility to create your own profiles. There is also a list which shows which processes are using power, like WiFi and the screen: a very useful option for users that want to profit off their phone as much as possible.

If you can forego 0.2" screen size then you can consider the new Xperia mini and Mini Pro for ~13k and 15.4k respectively.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

They have the same process, graphics as the Arc, Desire S, incredible S etc... (MSM8255+Adreno 205)

Flipkart.com: Sony Ericsson SK17i: Mobile

Flipkart.com: Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini ST15i: Mobile

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

They have the same process, graphics as the Arc, Desire S, incredible S etc... (MSM8255+Adreno 205)

Flipkart.com: Sony Ericsson SK17i: Mobile
Flipkart.com: Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini ST15i: Mobile

I would recommend Motorola Defy! it is a great vfm phone. very rugged, decent battery(could certainly have been better), great screen, great choice of ROMs available, great support forums (which is a must) and the easy overclockability ( you can run it at 1 GHz :) )

If you are not in a hurry, i would suggest waiting for a few days for the launch of SE Xperia Ray, which is expected to launch in the 2nd week of September. There is a chance that it may be priced aggressively at 17-18k. If that happens, you can get it for around 16k using coupon in letsbuy.com. In case you are in a hurry or if the Xperia Ray happens to be priced above 18k, your options are:

1. Moto Defy @ 14-15k

+ Ruggedness, compactness

+ Decent battery life

+ Good community support

- Successor(Defy+) coming up, so no update beyond Android 2.2 officially and possible drop in resale value

- Average camera

2. HTC Salsa @ 13-14.5k

+ Sense UI

+ Build quality

+ Social network integration

- Low screen resolution

- Weaker CPU, GPU

3. SE Xperia mini @ 12-13k / mini pro @ 14-15.5k

+ Fast CPU + Powerful GPU

+ Nice custom UI (Timescape)

- Small screen

- Below par battery life

Motorola Defy @ 14k. Unless you're ready to learn to install Custom ROMs, you won't get the Defy's full potential.

If you're prepared to extend budget then Nexus S @ 20k.

Well the new Defys come with a Green Lens....So be carefull if u want to custom Rom it.

I just bought 1 7 days ago from letsbuy,got a green lens :(

It was August manufactured.The screen is very good though.Camera is a little under good,I'd give 2.5/5 to the cam.

But the ruggedness does pay off.I sometimes wash it ;) Dropping also doesnt affect it .

Overall its 4.5/5 to the phone in this price.

Defy is your best bet . at 15k none of the other phone can come close to defy !

Also, you can look for SE xperia mini . my sis got herself a new xperia mini couple of days back and both of use are very impressed with its overall performance. many might say that the screen is way to small , but no i tried texting in it and trust me it was super fast no typo what so ever , neat ! yup when browsing its little small but still manageable . super fast interface , decent battery life , awesome audio quality & good camera performance .

Thanks a lot for the inputs... I've also heard that HTC desire is available @ 16K, should i consider it if i get it for that price?

Samsung I9003 Galaxy SL - not able to find in letsbuy

Samsung I9003 Galaxy S GT - letsbuy says 17900/-

The HTC Desire is a good phone but has the some disadvantages. Here are some pros and cons of the phone.

+ Build quality

+ Sense UI

+ Good community support

- EOL = less resale value

- Old processor + slow GPU

- Poor battery life

- Poor camera quality

Considering the fact that the Defy costs around 2.5-3k lesser than the Galaxy SL and also comes bundled with a bluetooth headset, it offers better VFM.

Anyway, here are some details about the Galaxy SL i9003:

+ Large screen

+ Large battery (Decent battery life)

+ 4GB phone memory

- Plasticky build

- Low community support

- Bad launch price, lesser VFM

- No camera flash

- Said to be buggy

Back