Budget 51-70k Need a PC for Architectural Work.

damn been a while since i checked them prices , but then i do some gaming too :p, and occassionly use gpu rendering , so i prefer the non quadro ,and trust me the arch models are not that heavyweight

The components suggested are all fine. The Seasonic 520W PSU should do fine.

The cgarchitect forums (thanks @kippu) is one of the best sites to find answers to many of the querries and doubts one has in these matters. Check out especially the posts by "Dmitris Tolios" who provides valuable insights.

We are not locked as yet on the CPU - AMD/Intel [Intel has been ruling this space for the past 2-3 years and majority of CGI users use Intel].

GPU wars will continue - Quadro/Firepro vs GTX.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay so if, we are choosing Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 for AMD Fx-8350, then which motherboard will suit for Intel i7-3770? Other parts will remain same, right? And what is the difference between pairing up a High end Processor with a High end motherboard AND pairing up High end Processor with Medium range motherboard as Kippu is pointing out? And can anyone point out some good shops in Lamington Road, where I can go and enquire on some products?

Other parts will remain same, right?

RIGHT

And what is the difference between pairing up a High end Processor with a High end motherboard AND pairing up High end Processor with Medium range motherboard as Kippu is pointing out? And can anyone point out some good shops in Lamington Road, where I can go and enquire on some products?

High end proc + hi-end mobo = Overall better performance & stability. These mobos also come with hosts of features (many of which are just cosmetic). What is important is that on high-end boards. The quality of each and every component is also very, very high (capacitors; heat-sinks; design; OC features and stability). Extra sata & usb3.0 ports.

Same is the case with ATX; mATX; i

The Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H motherboard for Intel i3/5/7 Ivybridge procs was/is the hottest selling motherboard in India ~ Rs 4100/- (street-prices). However if you wish to pair it with a 3770 then you could also think of Haswell ;)

Processors
i7-4770 ~ 19600 | 20395 theitdepot | 20499 primeabgb
i5-4430 ~ 12100

Motherboards ~ from
MSI H87M-G43 ~ 6030/-
MSI Z87-G43 ~ 8125/-
MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming board ~ 13399/-
MSI Z87 Power ~ 16099/-

ASRock Z87M Extreme 4 ~ 9270/-
Asus GRYPHON Z87 ~ 14650/-

Primeabgb has 7 Asus Boards - from 6199 to 14299/-

see the thread - http://www.techenclave.com/communit...dia-availability-pricing.149458/#post-1834570

and of course - REST EVERYTHING REMAINS THE SAME :)
[If it's haswell - then we only need to check the PSU - Seasonic you will have to go for M12II Bronze: 650W
http://techreport.com/review/24897/the-big-haswell-psu-compatibility-list#seasonic

Wow, thanks @terence_fdes for updating us about Haswell. So now, I can see that there is a minimum difference of Rs 10K between an i7+mobo and FX-8350+mobo. Hmm.. I was wondering about the future, and can you guys give me any idea about
  • How difficult it is to upgrade a CPU? For example after a year or so, If i plan to upgrade my cpu, what happens to the old one? Are there any options like exchange offer where you can pay the additional price difference and you get the new part? Or I will have to sell it? If yes then again how feasible it is?
  • If i will go with AMD, then their next upgrade will come out in around next 6 months or a year. So most probably I won't have to change my mobo. But i am not sure if it will be the same case if I'll go for either 3770 or 4770?
  • Also why can't Gigabyte provide Wifi/Bluetooth like Asus guys? Wifi do comes in handy in lot of times. Also I read at many places that there are problems with 990XA & 990FXA with diff rev versions.

Well this is wrong to say that Only AMD Cards are good or NVIDIA Cards are good. Both are good. It depends on the card, on your purpose of using the card i.e. for what purpose are you going to use the card whether for gaming or for modelling, the way the software uses the card and your budget..:)

Wow, thanks @terence_fdes
for updating us about Haswell. So now, I can see that there is a minimum difference of Rs 10K between an i7+mobo and FX-8350+mobo. Hmm.. I was wondering about the future, and can you guys give me any idea about
  • How difficult it is to upgrade a CPU? For example after a year or so, If i plan to upgrade my cpu, what happens to the old one? Are there any options like exchange offer where you can pay the additional price difference and you get the new part? Or I will have to sell it? If yes then again how feasible it is?
If you old processor is still in production - then you can sell it at a decent price. There is always a greater demand for Intel than AMD. Exchange offers do not exist at all for any computer parts/peripherals.

• If i will go with AMD, then their next upgrade will come out in around next 6 months or a year. So most probably I won't have to change my mobo. But i am not sure if it will be the same case if I'll go for either 3770 or 4770?
Any processor [AMD/Intel and it's series] is compatible ONLY within the same series. Eg. 3770 is 1155 socket & 4770 is 1150 socket, so the motherboards for both are different. However, if you go for Haswell - then probably a year later the next series will be compatible.
  • Also why can't Gigabyte provide Wifi/Bluetooth like Asus guys? Wifi do comes in handy in lot of times. Also I read at many places that there are problems with 990XA & 990FXA with diff rev versions.

Gigabyte does have wi-fi boards. I am using one it's good & powerful. However, I would not recommend it [any brand wi-fi motherboards] - because to use the wi-fi, you need to keep your entire system ON/running (which makes no send if your PC is not in use for other purposes]. Fo wi-fi go for any external device.

Thanks for clearing all those queries Terence. I am determined to go with i7-4570 or i7-4770 now. And for the motherboard, I am thinking of sticking to H87 series motherboards. I was worried if motherboard would affect CPU performance or not. But to limit my budget, I will have to choose among H87 series or cheapest Z87.

And you are certainly right about the Wi-fi thing. I got excited for a moment there. What is your views on good after sales service and warranty offered by various brands? As in which brands have good support or repairing/replacement services?

I was worried if motherboard would affect CPU performance or not.
Motherboards haven't affected CPU performance ever since the mem controller was shifted to the processor. Now the entire northbridge is literally on the CPU. You can even get a H81 chipset based board and it won't make a difference to performance.

But i am not sure if it will be the same case if I'll go for either 3770 or 4770?
Intel usually has the same socket for their tick-tock cycle. Haswell - 4770 proc - is a new architecture i.e. tock, so it gets a new socket and Broadwell being a tick will use the same 1150 socket. So you're covered till Broadwell. Sandy (tock) and Ivy bridge (tick) - 3770 - use the older 1155 socket.

... What is your views on good after sales service and warranty offered by various brands? As in which brands have good support or repairing/replacement services?

I have NEVER faced any issues (past 10 years) with any of my own computer parts as I have always chosen "reputed brands" and often high-end models. What goes wrong are secondary peripheral devices like - DVD drive; Mouse; Keyboard mainly due to dust & wear & tear after a few years. However all these brands will take care of any problems (within the warranty period).

Remember in India - anything, YES ANYTHING that we buy [from Vehicles, TV sets, Cellphones etc ..... ] all ASS (after sales service) is also a pain (unlike in USA - where the customer reigns supreme).

Sadly all or most computer parts prices have gone up by 8-12% in the past few days (owing to the falling rupee).

Have a look at this article -
37 Haswell motherboard group test: 28x Z87, 6x H87 and 3x B85

Hello Guys,

Been almost an year now. And finally going to buy a new PC. I think I had already ate your (as in all of you) brains last time, so this time I will try to not to. I went to Lamington road with the configuration yous guys helped me to finalize on last time, and tried to get quotation for the same. Here's what I found out : -

I am giving the average price of the 7-8 quotations.

Intel i7-4770 ------------------------- 20500

MSI H87 G43 ------------------------ 9800 (Need help in this.)

Kingston Hyper Ex 8GB X 2 --------- 9800

WD 1 TB Blue ------------------------- 3800

Samsung 840 250GB ----------------- 11000 (thinking of going for EVO series)

Cabinet Cooler Master K350 ---------- 3600

Dell 22" Monitor ----------------------- 8900

Seasonic M12II 650W (Hard to find this model. So shopkeepers recommending Cooler Master 750W at
8000) And why on this page http://www.techenclave.com/community/buyers-guide/best-power-supply-units/ there is a negative remark of Noisy fan and Seasonic Support in almost every Seasonic product?!

Also in GPU, GTX 7XX series is also available. So it will be either GTX 650 1GB or 750 1GB.

I need a recommendation on good H87 Series Motherboard. H87 because No overclocking and no two graphic cards. Also a PSU too. Or any new upgrades you guys want to inform me about.

Thanks a ton,
Sudeep

Intel i7-4770 -20500,
MSI H87-D3H -9800,
Corsair Vengeance 8GB x 2 -9800,
WD Caviar Blue 1TB -3800,
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB -10500,
Corsair Carbide SPEC-01 -3800,
Dell S2240L 22" LED IPS -8200,
Seasonic M12II 650w -6200, (Never go with Cooler Master Thunder Series)
Zotac GTX750Ti 2GB -12400.
TOTAL -85,000.

Seasonic M12II 650W (Hard to find this model. So shopkeepers recommending Cooler Master 750W at
8000) And why on this page http://www.techenclave.com/community/buyers-guide/best-power-supply-units/ there is a negative remark of Noisy fan and Seasonic Support in almost every Seasonic product?!
Some people had mentioned issues with Seasonic support (although this was quite some time back), hence added it to the guide. Others have mentioned Seasonic support has improved lately as well.
Most shopkeepers stock only the fast moving models - which often are the cheapest and not the good models. Coolermaster doesn't appear to have any good PSUs at the low end. So if you are struggling to locate a good PSU, its easier to just order it online.
MSI H87 G43 ------------------------ 9800 (Need help in this.)
MSI support is a big question mark now. You are probably safer picking up an Asus or Gigabyte board.

Dell 22" Monitor ----------------------- 8900
If this is the S2240L, its a nice monitor. Do be warned though that you need to control your room lighting, since it has a glossy screen.

Also in GPU, GTX 7XX series is also available. So it will be either GTX 650 1GB or 750 1GB.
The discussion in this thread might be helpful : www.techenclave.com/community/threads/graphics-card-for-12k.156677

Hey bssunil thanks for the pricing. Can you give me the source of this?

And Crazy_Eddy, thanks for clearing my doubt about Seasonic Support. And also thanks for the motherboard. I am considering Asus H87M-E.

Yes I was talking about S2240L, and sadly may be I will be living in hostel so no question of controlling lighting. I have read it's reviews saying its too glossy, but it's OK with me. If possible I will see a piece in Croma or Ezone or similar kinda shop to get a live demo. but then gain I don't think there is a better option than Dell.

I have stopped thinking about GPUs now, after such a long discussion previously on this thread only. Will go with 750 or 750Ti according to the budget.

Thanks a lot guys. Do keep on recommending something if you come across something new!

Hey bssunil thanks for the pricing. Can you give me the source of this?

And Crazy_Eddy, thanks for clearing my doubt about Seasonic Support. And also thanks for the motherboard. I am considering Asus H87M-E.

Yes I was talking about S2240L, and sadly may be I will be living in hostel so no question of controlling lighting. I have read it's reviews saying its too glossy, but it's OK with me. If possible I will see a piece in Croma or Ezone or similar kinda shop to get a live demo. but then gain I don't think there is a better option than Dell.

I have stopped thinking about GPUs now, after such a long discussion previously on this thread only. Will go with 750 or 750Ti according to the budget.

Thanks a lot guys. Do keep on recommending something if you come across something new!
All prices are local secunderabad prices.

How about Intel Xeon E3 1230V3 or Intel Xeon 1245V3 instead of i7-4770?!! Should I create a new thread?! Just stumbled on these new Haswell CPUs.. and they look very tasty...

Now I am thinking WHY NOT Xeon?!

1) Do I need overclocking?--------> NO.
2) Do I need iGPU?----------------> NO. (Since I am getting a GTX. So why would I need an integrated GPU? Seriously I am asking you guys, If you know any such reason?)
3) If required then, Xeon E3-1245 V3 has a iGPU called P4600. So that's good and still lower priced than 4770.
4) Its 0.1 GHz slower than 4770.

Someone please tell me more about this if you know more and have right info.

Also, Can I go for PSU lower than 650 W? Is it too much? Even in the link Crazy_Eddy mentioned, everyone has a lower wattage PSU even when thev have a GPU with higher power or energy requirement than mine.

Thanks,
Sudeep

Back