Need a Phone - 35k

avi

Skilled
iPhone 4 vs HTC Desire HD (Need a Phone - 35k)

Hi all ! happy new year :hap2:

update : edited the tittle. Now I have to chose iPhone 4 or HTC Desire HD. I am ready to wait for one month [say till feb 1st week] for iPhone 4 to be released. So can anyone tell me

-Advantages of iPhone over Desire HD

-Disadvantages of same.

Thank you :)

--------

I need a phone and I am ready to spend upto 35K. I have shortlisted the phones

-Apple iPhone 4 - 16GB - I can get this around 35k. But as I will be not getting any warranty, I am kinda afraid. What you guys say ? 35K piece of gadget and no warranty :(

-Samsung Galaxy S - No, I didn't liked this. I didn't liked UI nor it's build quality. I could adjust with these things, but camera with no flash ? No. So out of my list.

-Desire HD - Don't know much about this. You guys have to say :) I heard it has terrible battery back up.

-Nexus S - I can get this around 26K. Though it's design is crap I can adjust with it, but again, warranty thing setting me back.

template filled :

1. Q: Budget?

A: upto 35-36K

2. Q: Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?

A: Touch screen, no physical qwerty.

3. Q: Preferred display type?

A: SLCD, AMOLED, SAMOLED, IPS

4. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.

A: No LG / Motorola please

5. Q: Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?

A: Touchscreen

6. Q: Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.

A: Required a 3MP or better camera. Flash must.

7. Q: Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).

A: Android or iOS

8. Q: Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).

A: 3G, Wifi

So what you guys say ? Thank you :)

Having bought and used an itouch 4, i can safely say that you will not go wrong with the iphone 4. If you can manage to get the dealer's warranty of 6 months which comes usually with ebay and such other sites, it is a good compensation for the manufacturer's warranty. You will find out if there are any manufacturing defects easily in these 6 months and generally phones dont get problems after these months unless the user has made a mistake. Moreover, within these 6 months, the iphone 4 will probably land in India and you can find shops who can repair your phone or even go to apple after the official launch if you face any problems. Since you have the 35k budget, iphone is the best choice, else in a smaller budget options like desire HD are good.

adamigdum said:
wat bout nokia n8 dude.............

xllent fone i have it.

good ui 3 homescreens, good audio video quality

I agree N8 is a great phone, but I am an App Junkie :p
nilayg02 said:
^^

But the OP doesnt wants nehing xcept iOS or acndriod

yeah.

PhotostarSR said:
Get iPhone 4 dude! Don't worry about the warranty!!

dude it's 35K ! I am obviously worried, if phone goes kaput, then I am dead
nehaladsul said:
All the models u have listed have just about acceptable battery backup.

My vote goes to the Samsung Nexus S followed by the Desire HD.

You mean battery back up of a day ? and can you tell me why you felt NS better than DHD ?
rhlravi said:
Having bought and used an itouch 4, i can safely say that you will not go wrong with the iphone 4. If you can manage to get the dealer's warranty of 6 months which comes usually with ebay and such other sites, it is a good compensation for the manufacturer's warranty. You will find out if there are any manufacturing defects easily in these 6 months and generally phones dont get problems after these months unless the user has made a mistake. Moreover, within these 6 months, the iphone 4 will probably land in India and you can find shops who can repair your phone or even go to apple after the official launch if you face any problems. Since you have the 35k budget, iphone is the best choice, else in a smaller budget options like desire HD are good.

Aah, this makes me feel better about iP4 :) I can go to Apple Care even if I had bought it from abroad ? [I am not expecting them to do it for free]

dealer's warranty of 6 months which comes usually with ebay and such other sites

and also can you suggest me sites other than ebay ? and what exactly is this dealer's warranty ? warranty given by dealer ?

Just that I currently use the Desire.

And have used a friend's Galaxy S for a few hours.

And I loved the simplicity of the Galaxy S. Maybe I am just a bit bored with the HTC Sense UI... :S

As for battery life, u should expect about a day's battery life for moderate use of any of the above phones.

On my Desire, with about 1.5-2 hours calling, a few (10-15) SMS I get about 2 days max. No 3G, GPRS, Wifi or anythng else.

Oh, you have Desire or Desire HD ?

My usage/day - call - some 30 mins, 50-60 texts, Internet 7-8 [in college hours :p] on EDGE (not 3G).

And I thought iPhone gives more battery back up

avi said:
Oh, you have Desire or Desire HD ?

My usage/day - call - some 30 mins, 50-60 texts, Internet 7-8 [in college hours :p] on EDGE (not 3G).

And I thought iPhone gives more battery back up
I have normal Desire. Not the HD.

When u say 50-60 texts, do u mean actually typing 50-60 texts. Or just forwarding??

When I say 10-15 texts, I mean typing each text individually & sending it. Forwarding would obviously take less time & battery than typing each one individually.

Also, I mean 10-15 texts each day. So, the batt lasts for about 2 days means about 20-30 texts for me.

And I have heard that iPhone 4 gives better batt backup than the Desire/Desire HD but I don't have any 1st hand experience with the iPhone 4 or the DHD.

Actually I have heard that Desire's cam quality is bad [worse than iPhone's 3GS], is that true ? that's why I listed Desire HD not Desire.

And I mean 50-60 typing texts, not forwarding. So how much battery back up I can expect in Desire with my usage as mentioned above ??

avi said:
Actually I have heard that Desire's cam quality is bad [worse than iPhone's 3GS], is that true ? that's why I listed Desire HD not Desire.

And I mean 50-60 typing texts, not forwarding. So how much battery back up I can expect in Desire with my usage as mentioned above ??
I don't use the Cam... :p I mean, I have clicked like 7-8 snaps since I got the phone about 3 months back. But I think the pics are good for a 5MP cam & it's certainly better than the 3GS... :p

U can expect batt life a little above 1 day with ur usage. But then all phones in this category have somewhat similar battery life. So, batt life shouldn't really deter u from getting the Desire.

^^ Like I said, I am not much of a photo person. I find the Cam on the Desire good enough.

I have only taken about 7-8 snaps on my Desire. That shows my disinterest in the Camera of my phone... :ashamed:

So, I would suggest u take a 2nd opinion about the Camera from sumone else.... one who understands photography better than me.

For the rest, the Desire is a really good & capable phone. Actually, it is the best Android at the price (till u get bored of the Sense UI!!!).....!!! :p

I'd say iPhone 4.

And when will people understand, apple care pack or no apple apple care pack, iPhones do not have international warranty in India.

The only people who service iPhones in India are carriers and they do not do it for phones bought elsewhere. Apple care centers will not service an iPhone. And you have to be really unlucky for an iPhone to go kaput in the first year. Their build quality is unmatched.

One can do all the customization they want after JB it.

mjumrani said:
I'd say iPhone 4.

even I had decided to got with it only, but warranty thing setting me back. 35k and no warranty :(

mjumrani said:
And you have to be really unlucky for an iPhone to go kaput in the first year. Their build quality is unmatched.

Not build. say software problem or if phone goes kaput while JB-ing or any out of the box issues etc.

Back