Need advice for purchasing a new PC : Very peculiar case

Within 10k budget... MSI HD6850 Cyclone PE/OC is the best card which costs 9.5k... and i would advice you to buy Seasonic S12II 430w too which is an 80+ Bronze Certified PSU and comes with 5 Years warranty... To buy this PSU you can contact TheITWares or Tirupati (Distributor)

Hades. said:
Within 10k budget... MSI HD6850 Cyclone PE/OC is the best card which costs 9.5k... and i would advice you to buy Seasonic S12II 430w too which is an 80+ Bronze Certified PSU and comes with 5 Years warranty... To buy this PSU you can contact TheITWares or Tirupati (Distributor)
its the best gaming card. but is it best suited for hackintosh?
because AFAIK none of the mac machines has this GPU.

Yeah, I had my eyes on a 6850 from the OSX86 point of view. Nice to know that its a good gaming card too (though I'm pretty sure that I wont be gaming at all).

BTW, any ideas on the cost of the SMPS itself. I can see a decent rig coming together, all thanks to you guys.

Hi Guys,

Thanks to your efforts I've decided upon a rig. Here are the specifications :

Processor : Intel i5 2500 (also open to 'K' model though skeptical if it will yield any long term gains) : Rs. 9,800

Motherboard : ASUS P8H67-M PRO/EVO (not sure about which one is available in the market)
or
Gigabyte GA-H67MA-UD2H-B3 (originally my first choice but its availability is seriously under question) : Rs. 7,500

Graphics Card : MSI HD6850 Cyclone PE/OC 1 GB : Rs. 9,600

Hard Disk : 2x 1TB Wester Digital Green HDDs : Rs. 2x2,700 = Rs.5,400

DVD Drive : HP/Sony Optiarc DVD Writer : Rs. 1,100

Monitor : Samsung (purely for looks) or Dell 23' : Rs. 9,500

RAM : 4x4GB DDR3 RAM (Kingston, Transcend, G.Skill .....whatever) : 4x1550 = Rs.6,200

Mouse : Logitech MX518 (old favorite of mine, great if you know how to map commands to it) : Rs. 1,450

SMPS : Need advise over here as I might want to SLI in the future (currently thinking of something from CoolerMaster or Corsair within the range of Rs. 3,500 for non SLI needs) : Rs. 3,500 (or more for a SMPS that can handle SLI)

Keyboard : Generic Microsoft or Logitech (Will be using old one for now) : NIL

Speakers : Already own Logitech Z5500 (will be using those with Razer Moray Earphones for now) : NIL

Cabinet : Now this one is a bit of a puzzle, I am seriously short on space so i was wondering if a Cooler Master Elite 360 would suffice (not sure if such a cramped setup is good for a rendering based workstation). In case this doesn't work I'm looking at a Cooler Master Elite 430 Black or anything else that you would recommend : Rs. 2,000-2,700+

I can still stretch my budget by 2-6K (be it on any of the parts). I shall be doing most of the purchasing from SMC Computers, Nehru Place (been purchasing all of my machines from them since the last 7-8 years or so [all the estimates are from there as well]).

Most importantly, Feel free to leave any suggestions (they can only do good), Thanks :)

I would say Seagate 7200.12 is a better bet since you will get better performance at same pricing.

Also 4GB Corsair Value RAM has dipped to ~1.35k. So you save ~0.8k there.

Gigabyte GA-H67MA-UD2H -> The Gigabyte H67MA-UD2H is listed in SMC site. Did you check with them for availability?

Also 'K' is useless if you are buying a H67. So stick to the non-K version and save some bucks.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

For monitor check this Dell -> Dell UltraSharp U2311H

Wonderful IPS panel :)

See if you would upgrade your rig in the future then it would be a good idea to go with a beefier psu... I would recommend Corsair TX850 V2 ~ 6500... And it has enough potential to power two high end cards. But i have got a question to ask, are you building this rig only for Mac Os X or are you gonna run Windows 7 too? And afaik mac os x doesn't support sli... Heck even the board that you are thinking to buy is not good for cfx'ing and sli'ing two gpus as the second pci-e slot runs at only x4 speed... And as far as cabinet is concerned then buy NZXT Gamma coz its simply better than elite 430 in every way.

Hades. said:
See if you would upgrade your rig in the future then it would be a good idea to go with a beefier psu... I would recommend Corsair TX850 V2 ~ 6500... And it has enough potential to power two high end cards. But i have got a question to ask, are you building this rig only for Mac Os X or are you gonna run Windows 7 too? And afaik mac os x doesn't support sli... Heck even the board that you are thinking to buy is not good for cfx'ing and sli'ing two gpus as the second pci-e slot runs at only x4 speed... And as far as cabinet is concerned then buy NZXT Gamma coz its simply better than elite 430 in every way.

Thanks, The remaining question is "If given the chance should I go for Cooler Master Elite 360 with my current setup ?" (remember I'm very low on space)

intro1.jpg

Elite 360 - Cooler Master - Leading Provider of Computer Case | Cooler | Power Supply

^^ Sire purchase the P8H67-V EVO over the PRO model as it offers much more value for the price it, with a comparable feature set which gives the P8H67-V PRO a run for its cost.

Go for the Dell U2311H Ultrasharp monitor ~ 13500/- at the price point it demolishes all other monitors thanks to its IPS panel, which puts all the generic TN panel based variants to shame. For more information on this, here are relevant reads -- LCD Panel Technology Explained - S-IPS, H-IPS, S-PVA, MVA and TN / IPS panel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

For a cabinet urge you to get the NZXT Gamma ~2200/-, much more value than the Cooler Master eLite line-up, add 2x 120mm fans to set-up a great air-flow which few cabinets offer at this price range -- NZXT Gamma Review - Overclockers Club / NZXT Gamma - Review - Cases | XSReviews, if the unorthodox design of the Gamma puts you off, grab the NZXT Source 210 [~2900/-] -- NZXT Source 210 Elite Mid Tower Cabinet / NZXT Source 210 Elite Review - Page 6/6 | techPowerUp / NZXT Source 210 Review - Overclockers Club.

Hope this helps, Sire.

Oh one more thing try to stuff in a nVidia GTX 560 Ti, the plug-ins for Adobe and Autodesk are better optimized for the nVidia cards than their AMD counter-parts. Cheers!

Okay okay fellas, because of the slight extra cash that I have Im looking at two different configs :

Intel i5 2500K with Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3 : Im ready to overclock the processor but will need your help with it, if you (my friends :)) are willing to help me with it.

Intel i7 2600 With Gigabyte H67MA-UD2H or Asus P8H67 Pro : Keeping it all stock

I want to know which config would be better for using with After Effects Cs5.5 & Final Cut Pro 7 (Keep in mind that the i5 2500k would be overclocked a bit)

Thanks for everything, you've all been very helpful :)

2600k definitely. but keep in mind after effects uses ram for rendering so a minimum 16gb is essential. The 2600k has HT which allows adobe to use the additional virtual cores. FCP however will definitely need the 2600k over 2500k. The beastier the better for apple. but in all honesty bulldozer should be taken as they will have real 8 cores compared to the 2600k's 4real+4virtual..

Many are of the opinion that Sony vegas 10 is better than FCP. you may consider that while building this system. its much easier, way less expensive and has stolid features. but in the end your choice. also try motion and combustion in addition to after effects. though after effects has way more features, the former two are much easier and fun to work with.

mrcool63 said:
2600k definitely. but keep in mind after effects uses ram for rendering so a minimum 16gb is essential. The 2600k has HT which allows adobe to use the additional virtual cores. FCP however will definitely need the 2600k over 2500k. The beastier the better for apple. but in all honesty bulldozer should be taken as they will have real 8 cores compared to the 2600k's 4real+4virtual..

Many are of the opinion that Sony vegas 10 is better than FCP. you may consider that while building this system. its much easier, way less expensive and has stolid features. but in the end your choice. also try motion and combustion in addition to after effects. though after effects has way more features, the former two are much easier and fun to work with.

Dude, Im talking between i7 2600 (without the 'K') and an overclocked i5 2500K (with the 'K') . Thats why there is a difference between the motherboards too.

See if you want to overclock i5 2500k then a decent cooler like CM Hypere 212+ ~ 1.9k would be required to do that... And i5 2500k performs like i7 2600 when overclocked to 4.3GHz... You can overclock the i5 2500k to 4.3Ghz @ stock voltage by just increasing the bclk multiplier to 43... See if you would go with either of the config then you would be making a good choice... And if you are buiding this for hackintosh then avoid Asus motherboards and the latest generation nvidia cards...

and i still stand with 2600 is better than 2500k!!! This is not gaming we are talking here.. video editing requires constant use of the cpu.. and more cores!! 2600 still has 4real + 4 virtual.. its better than the 2500k.. more than speed it needs cores(though speed cant be discounted completely). the 2600 can go to 3.8ghz on turbo. Oc'ing the 2500k to 4.2 and constantly running the cpu for intensive workload will shorten its lifespan and would not make a difference.

also as hades mentioned apple prefers AMD rather than nvidia. so go AMD probably 6970 or 6850. Also FCP is written on 32 bit platform. so more ram is useless for it but no of cores are an advantage. unless FCP X settles down RAM will be exclusively for adobe.

Also dude i never mentioned OC the 2600k in my previous post.. I noticed the h67 board:)

^^^ Great thanks to both of you. I have a much clear picture with FCP in my mind. Also tell me which processor would do nicely with After Effects Cs5.5 (the 16 gigs of RAM are for that)

after effects also has a similar situation. with cs5 adobe introduced the 64bit code so it can use more than 4gb ram and also better use of the multicore cpu. these were not present in earlier editions. Cpu wise for adobe once again 2600 would be better. The video processing programs generally run several threads at once. so more no of simultaneous threads your proccesor can run, faster the task is completed. so even though you can run 4 threads at 4.2ghz(2500k oc'd) it would be better running 8 threads at 3.8Ghz(2600).. i hope it makes it clear:)

Adobe prefers more RAM than cpu as rendering and previewing use RAM mostly. so a 2600 will do

Yep for video editing best bet is 2600K if going for H67 the 2600 yeah and to make your life easier with the hackintosh stick with a Gigabyte board..... I am using 8 GB RAM and FCPX (nothing very critical works hence experimenting with FCPX) with 2600K and a Z68 board on the hackintosh and it runs great I have almost more than halved my video output time with the i7 compared to my old machine that was running 2.4 Ghz Q6600.

Though I did not yet do overclocking with my 2600K as I running the stock intel cooler and do not yet feel the need to overclock.

Hi all,

Got my new machine 2 days back.

Intel i7 2600k Processor

Gigabyte Z68-UD4-B3 Motherboard

16 GB of Corsair 1600 RAM

MSI 6850 Cyclone PE/OC GFX Card

Dell 23' LED Monitor

Cooler Master Extreme Power 600W SMPS

Cooler Master Storm Enforcer Cabinet

2TB Seagate HDD

HP DVD Writer

Logitech Mx 518 Mouse

Microsoft Arc Keyboard

APC 600W UPS

and some other goodies :)

Total damages slightly less than 75K :)

It always happens to me, I set out with a budget & once im there I go overboard. But overall Im loving the new machine, it runs like a dream when it comes to rendering 1080p compositions in AE (almost 7-8 times faster) as compared to my old Q6600 with 9600GT & 4GB of RAM.

Once again, many thanks to all those who helped.

Congrats Zero Cool

And why did you buy CM Extreme Power PSU? :facepalm: Exchange it with a Corsair TX650V2 PSU before it blows up any important component of your PC

Back