Need advice for purchasing a new PC : Very peculiar case

Hades. said:
Congrats Zero Cool

And why did you buy CM Extreme Power PSU? :facepalm: Exchange it with a Corsair TX650V2 PSU before it blows up any important component of your PC

+(whole of TE force)

Get it exchanged if you can asap.

Zero_Cool said:
SMPS : Need advise over here as I might want to SLI in the future (currently thinking of something from CoolerMaster or Corsair within the range of Rs. 3,500 for non SLI needs) : Rs. 3,500 (or more for a SMPS that can handle SLI)

A good system marred by that useless junk of a power supply! Oh well, good luck with it!

You guys sure the SMPS is useless ? I paid Rs. 3500 for it. Anyways if its crap then it must go.

Thanks to everybody for the timely advice.

Thanks guys, im getting a new SMPS within the week (gotta wait till I have the time to go to Nehru Place) & will be shifting this SMPS into my old Q6600 configuration. Any ideas on the damages for a new 'Respectable' SMPS for my new machine ?

@mrcool63 - I think it costed me Rs. 9,000

If you're gonna stick with this config, the Seasonic S12II 520W should be sufficient for 4k. Corsair VX550 is also a better option but I think availability is an issue.

If you're looking to Crossfire later on, then look for nothing less than Corsair TX750 v2 for 6000 or the Seasonic X-850 (SS-850KM) for 9.8k if you can splurge.

Zero Cool said:
Thanks guys, im getting a new SMPS within the week (gotta wait till I have the time to go to Nehru Place) & will be shifting this SMPS into my old Q6600 configuration. Any ideas on the damages for a new 'Respectable' SMPS for my new machine ?
@mrcool63 - I think it costed me Rs. 9,000
Shifting it in your old rig wouldn't really be a good idea.. Actually its not not good for.any pc... Why dont you just get it replaced with a Corsair TX650 or 750... ofcourse you would have to spend 2 to 3k more... but spending 2k extra on a pzu like TX650V2 is really worth it...

Hades. said:
Shifting it in your old rig wouldn't really be a good idea.. Actually its not not good for.any pc... Why dont you just get it replaced with a Corsair TX650 or 750... ofcourse you would have to spend 2 to 3k more... but spending 2k extra on a pzu like TX650V2 is really worth it...

Hades, did you have any previous unpleasant experience with this SMPS?

I am asking this because something doesn't add up. My old pc which is a Q6600 with 9600GT and 1TB + 1TB + 640GB HDD has been serving me well over 3 years. It has been subject to rendering extremely heavy compositions in After effects and rendering complex lighting and dynamics in Max & Maya. It has often been left on for a weeks at a stretch and usually runs at least 16 hours on an easy day. It must have been under full load countless times. And all this punishment has been WELL SERVED BY MY TRUSTY COOLER MASTER EXTREME 450W PSU :huh: How the hell would a better, higher powered PSU be harmfull for the same machine? In fact it was based on my past experience with Cooler Master Extreme Series that i bought my current PSU.

I had categorically asked the guys at SMC international to recommend me a suitable SMPS for my rig. Their salesman "Puppy" & hardware engineer "Gaurav" had in fact told me that I could go for anything over 500w, This Cooler Master extreme 600 was more than sufficient as long as i didnt crossfire my setup. I have been buying PC's from SMC for the last 8 years. I must have given the business more than 6-7 lakhs over this period. I know Himanshu and Saini pretty well. When I had spent 75K on my PC I could have easily spent 2-3K more. I doubt if guys at SMC would give me wrong advice and sell me a bad piece of hardware.

Anyways I am off tomorrow to get a better, more meatier PSU.

Thanks to all my friends for providing their valuable inputs.

Zero Cool said:
Hades, did you have any previous unpleasant experience with this SMPS?

I am asking this because something doesn't add up. My old pc which is a Q6600 with 9600GT and 1TB + 1TB + 640GB HDD has been serving me well over 3 years. It has been subject to rendering extremely heavy compositions in After effects and rendering complex lighting and dynamics in Max & Maya. It has often been left on for a weeks at a stretch and usually runs at least 16 hours on an easy day. It must have been under full load countless times. And all this punishment has been WELL SERVED BY MY TRUSTY COOLER MASTER EXTREME 450W PSU :huh: How the hell would a better, higher powered PSU be harmfull for the same machine? In fact it was based on my past experience with Cooler Master Extreme Series that i bought my current PSU.

I had categorically asked the guys at SMC international to recommend me a suitable SMPS for my rig. Their salesman "Puppy" & hardware engineer "Gaurav" had in fact told me that I could go for anything over 500w, This Cooler Master extreme 600 was more than sufficient as long as i didnt crossfire my setup. I have been buying PC's from SMC for the last 8 years. I must have given the business more than 6-7 lakhs over this period. I know Himanshu and Saini pretty well. When I had spent 75K on my PC I could have easily spent 2-3K more. I doubt if guys at SMC would give me wrong advice and sell me a bad piece of hardware.

Anyways I am off tomorrow to get a better, more meatier PSU.

Thanks to all my friends for providing their valuable inputs.

See many people motherboards and GPUs had blowned up in the past because of these CM Extreme series PSUs... So extreme series PSUs are really not recommendable... And that is the reason why people dont recommend Extereme Series Psus on TE...

I doubt if guys at SMC would give me wrong advice and sell me a bad piece of hardware.

Any dealer would do this for profit if one doesn't know what to buy (i am not saying that you are a noob)... I am not saying that SMC is a bad dealer but in todays world we have to take every step carefully... See if you dont want to replace the extreme series PSU that you bought then dont do it, we are just here to recommend good components based on people experiences... :) And if a particular component is not available at one store then that doesn't mean that you should buy an inferior component... you should check the availability of that component in some other store... :)

^ I am getting a better PSU tomorrow (after all who doesn't like to protect his investment) . I was just curious about WHY was I to change that PSU as my old one (that too a measly 460W) served me so well. Anyways, products can lose quality with time or I might have even gotten lucky the last time.

Cheers :)

Back