Audio Need Advice on Speakers

Hi,
I am planning to go in for a new set of speakers sometime around June.
I've saved upto around 22-23k for this.

My usage would be first for music, then for movies and games.
The system would be connected to my PC (got a decent sound card already) and also to the PS3. Having an extra input would be helpful though...

I am not sure whether to go for 5.1 or 2/2.1. I need your opinion on this.

I mainly listen to FLAC audio ... if it makes a difference in your suggestions.

Some that i've heard about :

1. Logitech Z5500
2. Onkyo
3. AE 5

I need you guys to help me make an informed decision please !

Nice budget.

Now to the fundamentals:

1) Room size.

If its a small room, there's no reason to go for a 5.1. In fact you might not need even a 2.1.

Just two fronts should serve you well, unless of course you like lot of bass to shake up the room, in which case you can go for a sub also. Also, a decent sub is not cheap, so I guess if its a small room, you will do just fine with investing in a good pair of speakers only.

2) Receiver or Integrated Amp

You have two options, either get an audio-video receiver or an integrated amp. In this budget, an AVR doesn't seem feasible, so look for a stereo amplifier.

3) Speaker & amp options

Speakers: Wharfedale 9 series/10.1, offerings from Norge
Amp: Offerings from Cambridge Audio, Norge

Norge is an Indian company, and have good reputation with Indian audiophiles. Also, they offer budget choices, so have a look at their catalog. Norge Audio

I think if you could extend the budget till 30k, you will have quite a few options.

Either of these:

AE5

Norge 2060 + Wharfedales 9.1

AE2 + Polk PSW 110

Stay clear off Logitech or Onkyo or even Bose for that matter. These brands don't come in the same league as the above mentioned speakers as far as the sound quality is concerned.

Well its an average sized bedroom... so you can figure out the size :p

I like to play metal loud (lol)... about the bass. I like it to be natural sounding, definitely no pounding heavy bass which kills the subtleties in the music.

I need YOU guys to pick me out something. I have heard great things about AE.... but then i need the above mentioned input requirements which i don't think it has.

Also, i would like to know if 5.1 would actually make a difference at all in the setting we are talking about. I want it to sound good while gaming but exceptional in music.

I somehow am not too sure how the Logitech one's will sound. I have also found PC speakers to be a bit lacking.

The budget should preferably stay around this, i COULD push it to 30 but it would take a few extra months. I'm a student and part time jobs really don't pay that much :p

If priority is music, go with stereo speakers. If the entire music produced in the planet is recorded in stereo, it plays best on stereo speakers. Isn't that simple? :)

The AudioEngine speakers are some of the best entry-level powered bookshelves available in the country. Although it will have a wide mid-range with not so pounding bass as you would expect from a 2.1 or a 5.1 speaker, you can hook an additional woofer (manufactured by AE themselves) to the unit, in case you feel the bass is not suited to your liking.

A pair of AE A2s should set you back by 10k and thereabouts. The A5s should be <20k. Bajaoo is an authorised Indian retailer for AE bookshelves.

Lastly, if you have 30k to spend, you can easily get hold of a good second hand amp from NAD and drive passive bookshelves such as the Wharfedales 10.1, PSB Alpha B1 and the likes.

Besides, I'd say give an audition before you invest in bookshelves and an amp based combo. As far as audio is concerned, one man's meat is another one's poison! Opinions are purely subjective. :D

Yeah i know what you mean... but its basically rock music and tbh i would like the ability to PROPERLY hear the bass lines in the music. Being a guitarist myself, i understand the need for quality audio. However budget constraints hit everyone.

So please suggest combos , ranked by preference or just something which will be universally good :) I am counting on you because i dont have much time to audition.. i will only try those which you suggest.

Also i'm kinda confused between the AE2 and AE5s... Some help in that department would also be appreciated.

AE2s - Essentially desktop speakers. Excellent size defying mids, beautiful highs, muffled altered lows not to everyone's liking. Volume control at the back is a pain.

AE5 - A bigger better brother in all aspects. Brilliant mids and highs, sufficient lows for most tastes except bassheads. Volume control at the front. USB charging point. Overall a fantastic package south of 20K.

If I were you, I'd not rush in and use exerts like Gannu to just narrow down my search, but at the end still audition the gear I am to purchase and trust my ears as audio is a very subjective thing.

I'm really not in a hurry. I can wait for a while. I just want to get the best i possibly can in around this budget. I will test the audio but only once i can narrow down my search down to 2-3 products with the help of you guys :)

If you are from Mumbai you can audition the Audioengine speakers at your home itself,spoke to Ashutosh(Bajaao.com) today about auditioning the AE5's he said will send his guy with new speakers to my house and if I like the speakers he said pay the amount to the guy and keep the speakers.

yogi1771 said:
If you are from Mumbai you can audition the Audioengine speakers at your home itself,spoke to Ashutosh(Bajaao.com) today about auditioning the AE5's he said will send his guy with new speakers to my house and if I like the speakers he said pay the amount to the guy and keep the speakers.

Wow what an offer. I trust 100% you will keep the speakers yogi,they are that wonderful.

Hey, Bajaao does accept the speakers back (within 30 days IIRC) in case you are not satisfied with it. I say give it a shot.

well since your budget is sexy, then you can try to buy JBL sub drivers worth 9-10 K for like 10-12 inches, get them made into a nice speakers depending on the room size ( small room then open baffle big room then enclosed etc. ) and but amps for like 4-5 and with the rest you can buy good satellites, trust me they can blow apart any speakers on the market.

^You mean those drivers retailing for installations inside cars? And they really blow apart any speakers on the market?

^ No, woofer drivers they are available if you hunt for them, If youa re in delhi, hunt down whole of bhagirath place :)

Back