Budget 51-70k Need feedback for this Config

Motherboard, CPU, RAM, M.2 card and 2TB HDD received. SMPS, cooler, cabinet pending.
96c3d91b-80cb-4442-96bc-28a38db45d42.jpg

Tempted to jump start this by shorting the relevant pins. I have an old FSP Saga II 500W SMPS, what do you guys suggest? Safe hai or exercise patience? :)
Also, is the sponge the board is resting on safe from static? I always wear rubber slippers too.

Motherboard, CPU, RAM, M.2 card and 2TB HDD received. SMPS, cooler, cabinet pending.
View attachment 105520

Tempted to jump start this by shorting the relevant pins. I have an old FSP Saga II 500W SMPS, what do you guys suggest? Safe hai or exercise patience? :)
Also, is the sponge the board is resting on safe from static? I always wear rubber slippers too.
Do not start without a cpu cooler on the mobo (with thermal paste). Jump starting with pins and a (known to be reliable) older psu is fine, but without a cooler on the CPU do not do it.

Then it should be fine, assuming all components work. I used my system in an open bench manner as above, tho I didn't keep it on the foam - just atop the cardboard. I used to start it with just shorting the power + and - pins and it worked just fine till I got a case after a month or so.

Thanks, feel stupid asking this, do I need to connect both ATXV1 and ATXV2 at the top? Not oc'ing now, so 4 pin V1 is enough imo.

Thanks, feel stupid asking this, do I need to connect both ATXV1 and ATXV2 at the top?
If your PSU has 8+4 or 8+8 pin power connectors for cpu then go ahead and connect both. If not, then just connect the 8 pin one to ATXV1. Should still work just fine. A second ATXV2 is given so that there is headroom in case one wants to use a very power hungry CPU like a 12 or 16 core.

If your PSU has 8+4 or 8+8 pin power connectors for cpu then go ahead and connect both. If not, then just connect the 8 pin one to ATXV1. Should still work just fine. A second ATXV2 is given so that there is headroom in case one wants to use a very power hungry CPU like a 12 or 16 core.
My supply doesn't have 8 pin, just 4 pin one which is V2.

As a reference, my MSI mobo has only a single 8pin power in for CPU, but it can run my 3600XT just fine on stock with just a 4pin powering it. Of course I cannot overclock it (otherwise the PSU shuts down), but that's just to tell you that it's possible. My overclocked 3600XT comfortably draws around 100W PPT with a single 8 pin powering the CPU, and I believe it's enough for even a 12core. You should be fine, just ensure you have a 8pin connector on the CPU
My supply doesn't have 8 pin, just 4 pin one which is V2.
Then just use the 4pin one and don't overclock anything.
In fact I'd recommend undervolting a bit

Sorry wait, is this the 8 pin one, yellow and black? Square to the hexagonal shape doesn't match though. Yaar, this is confusing.
1621071839511.png

Switched on with 4 pin connector. Undervolt by how much? Sorry for the Qs.

Last edited:
Sorry wait, is this the 8 pin one, yellow and black? Square to the hexagonal shape doesn't match though. Yaar, this is confusing.
View attachment 105526
Switched on with 4 pin connector. Undervolt by how much? Sorry for the Qs.
This seems to be it, but don't go around plugging stuff without knowing what it is. Look up the manual for your PSU online, and then connect it to the relevant bits on mobo by looking up mobo manual. Undervolt is not necessary but recommended. Try a - 0.0125 offset, should help with temps and give you better temps and performance.
And dw about the questions, how else will we learn :)

Guys, received the cabinet and PSU just now. Do I need to connect both 8-pin and 4-pin or just the 8-pin on the left?
1621237811502.png

Read that for OC'ing both are needed, else just 8-pin one.

If your PSU has two sets of 4+4 CPU power pins 12V, connect as much as possible and shut it/forget it (channeling old Hero Honda ads)

Make sure not to confuse with 6+2 PCIe graphics card power connectors.

Up and running, customer cooler installation tomorrow. Have used one 8-pin 12V connector, could't find 4-pin one.

Back