Need For Speed: The Run - Discussion Thread

Saw that video in E3 steam and it was just unbelievable. I mean literally unbelievable. NFS series generally dont deal much damage, but that was too much. It takes away the immersion factor. Jumping between rooftops without any injury and the car taking bullets from a helicopter without even getting a window broken.. Not saying we need very realistic racing game. But, atleast covering some basic damage would be good. However, I am looking forward to the game.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Ethan_Hunt said:
Not to drift too far from the topic at hand, but ask yourself this (and forget what the developers say), Do you REALLY need these interactive cut-scenes?
I saw an interview with the devs. In gametrailers I think. They said only 10% of the game would consist of the player getting out of the game..

Ethan_Hunt said:
Fahrenheit was completely based around QTE events. That's how the story would flow. This is a racing game title, that's what Need for Speed titles have always been about. Is this interactivity really needed in a Racing title?

I'm not saying QTE is a bad thing. The feature should be applied/used where it's needed and not in places where it's not required at all. Heavy Rain at some point overdid the controls with having to press 5 buttons at once, which is extremely frustrating. Ninja Gaiden has never used QTE events. If you have seen the upcoming gameplay video of NG3, then it has added QTE almost everywhere. It's cool at times to try and adopt the God of War style QTE, but in essence it dumbs down the combat. Serious hack-en-slash games like DMC & NG are all about raw and fluid combat. You time your attacks right to slash an enemy's limb/hand/leg/head. If QTE is added, you just follow the button timings and woosh, we have all of those things done in a couple of seconds. That's what Ninja Blade did and got wasted.

Not to drift too far from the topic at hand, but ask yourself this (and forget what the developers say), Do you REALLY need these interactive cut-scenes?

There are two types of QTEs being used in games these days. QTE during the gameplay and QTE during a cutscene. I don't mind QTEs in gameplay as long as it justifies itself ala Fahrenheit. But I am all for QTE used during the cutscenes. Story telling in games is evolving with time. The pre-rendered cutscenes have almost completely been replaced by the in-game cutscenes thus immersing the gamer in the story even more. Infact the story telling aspect in some of the titles at present is so brilliant that it could just as easily compete with any of A-list movie titles. QTE, if implemented smartly makes the experience more immersive. Even Mass Effect used QTE in the the second title beautifully. QTE makes even an otherwise boring cutscene intersting and this is what most of the developers are aiming for, I guess.

Bluffmaster said:
There are two types of QTEs being used in games these days. QTE during the gameplay and QTE during a cutscene. I don't mind QTEs in gameplay as long as it justifies itself ala Fahrenheit. But I am all for QTE used during the cutscenes. Story telling in games is evolving with time. The pre-rendered cutscenes have almost completely been replaced by the in-game cutscenes thus immersing the gamer in the story even more. Infact the story telling aspect in some of the titles at present is so brilliant that it could just as easily compete with any of A-list movie titles. QTE, if implemented smartly makes the experience more immersive. Even Mass Effect used QTE in the the second title beautifully. QTE makes even an otherwise boring cutscene intersting and this is what most of the developers are aiming for, I guess.
The topic in concern here is an NFS title. Face the facts; none of it's titles have never been regarded highly for story telling. They have always, and I repeat, ALWAYS stuck to delivering the racing experience. Most Wanted being the exception of producing a passable storyline. Here (NFS: Run), we have a small segment demonstrated at E3, which shows the protagonist falling out of a car and then wading cops. The only time a QTE is triggered, is when he has to leap off the edge. The last part just has you leaping off and pressing a combo button to grab hold of a railing. Seriously? I would rather sit back and enjoy the cut-scene as there is NOTHING which really pulled me in during this sequence. The demo ends with you *insert QTE* barely scraping out of your car, which has crashed on a railway track and a train is hurling towards you.*exit QTE* This could be easily told in the form on a normal cinematic cut-scene. I'm not really sure what kind of game they are pitching for out here.

Now I'll come to the points which I have highlighted in your post. Yes, story-telling in games has come a long way in the last few years. A lot of game have adopted interactivity as an approach to indulge the audience into experiencing every moment of their game. However, QTE is one such feature, which can be an abomination OR really creative. The key is to use it ONLY when required and not implement it because it looks "cool" or it's trend being followed (read: health regeneration). As for the "QTE makes even an otherwise boring cutscene intersting" part, it depends on the cut-scene and how well it can be executed. It's like saying "If we don't have a good cut-scene, let's insert a QTE, let the user get involved, watch it and play it". :p

^To each his own, I guess. For me a story is very important in a racing title or any other title for that matter. Games like Dirt 3, Grid, F1 2010 are all great but because they lack a story element, I get bored of them pretty quickly and leave the career midway as there is no sense of direction. Even if the story is bare-bones, I like to have it in a racing title to keep me interested. Underground and Most Wanted did this well. As for the QTE part, I am not sure why it is bothering you so much. Its not really an on foot gameplay or anything, those are just cutscenes to progress the story with QTEs integrated in them. Moreover, the game is not even released as yet, play it before passing your judgment, maybe you will warm up to it.

I'm not passing any judgment, I'm just being a bit skeptical about the gameplay footage shown at E3 and how it would impact the game.

Ethan_Hunt said:
I'm not passing any judgment, I'm just being a bit skeptical about the gameplay footage shown at E3 and how it would impact the game.
It wouldn't, as it has been confirmed that the On-foot action/ QTE Cutscenes would make up for less than 10 % of the overall game. If anything, I think it would be an interesting and refreshing change. Need for speed was stagnating with each release, atleast they are trying to do something different here. Lets have a little faith on them. Its black-Box afterall, the developer which gave us Underground and Most Wanted.

Bluffmaster said:
BTW, did anyone find this game's graphics really good? I mean the game looks decent, sure, but all this while they were going gaga over how the game is using frostbite 2 engine and that the graphics would be excellent. I just found them to be above average honestly, certainly not what one would expect from a FB2 engine, especially after looking at BF3.
I remember the NFS guys talking about things like superb graphics during Prostreet. Awesome smoke n side mirrors break n there was even a video which showed this idiot of a guy scraping the car against the wall to show how the mirror breaks.

And then Grid was released. :p Walked all over Prostreet's smoke effect n breaking side mirrors! :-D

I've never liked QTEs,even in shooters.It doesn't really feel like your controlling the complex movements in the cut scenes by just pressing one button on time.Its really annoying that they've started using they're introducing them in race games now...but then I'm sure the game will be interesting.Its EA Blackbox after all.

nuke'em said:
I've never liked QTEs,even in shooters.It doesn't really feel like your controlling the complex movements in the cut scenes by just pressing one button on time.Its really annoying that they've started using they're introducing them in race games now...but then I'm sure the game will be interesting.Its EA Blackbox after all.
That was just for the human thing right? I doubt they'll do that for the car action.

Ok...so let me get this. The Run will will have elements of parkour and driving (E3 Trailer) in the game. Obviously, they have tried making a story based game here, but I am not too sure if I'd want to break the "rhythm" of driving. Visualizing, I am driving a car at about 100mph and some other car blindsides me and oh gosh! here come the cops. And i get out of the wreck to escape. So from 100mph I go to 10mph (maybe) to save my life and then do jumps and stuff to get into another car. Then I drive again. So why does this feel to me like it is neither here nor there? I hope EA know what are they doing.

I don't know why but i have a feeling that this game will not be something what i am expecting it to be and all my hopes from NFS will be ending up in a :facepalm:

Back