Need help buying a Dac/Amp for my Dt 990 Pro headphones!

hide0us

Disciple
Hello Techenclave. After been out of the scene for long, it feels good to be back. I need help buying a good Dac/Amp for my new headphones, namely Beyerdynamic Dt 990 Pro 250 ohms. I have the Schiit Fulla 2 in mind. Since there's no way I can audition it before buying, I am relying on the knowledgeable folks here to help me with the same, or better.

My requirement would be something around the price point of the Fulla 2, i.e 10000/-. Also, I would like something that complements the sound signature of the 990 pros.. i.e. tight bass that goes real low, neutral mids and crispy treble. I am also open to portable solutions, if any!

WELP GUYS!

Last edited:
I have creative sound blaster sb1600 (piece of shit), CEntrance DACPort HD (piece of shit) and Schitt Fulla2 (Fulla shit)

CEntrance has shitty drivers. heats up a lot. dont like it.
Absolutely love Schitt Fulla 2. it powers my HD6xx and corsair sp2500 speakers at the same time. simply works. highly recommend it.

I heard good things about audioquest dragonfly red too. i think its more versatile.

PS: I am not an audiophile. cant really comment on sound quality.

I have creative sound blaster sb1600 (piece of shit), CEntrance DACPort HD (piece of shit) and Schitt Fulla2 (Fulla shit)

CEntrance has shitty drivers. heats up a lot. dont like it.
Absolutely love Schitt Fulla 2. it powers my HD6xx and corsair sp2500 speakers at the same time.

Whoa i have the SP2500 too. Old bugger still runs sweet. As for Fulla 2, do you hear pops while changing tracks or static noises when it isnt playing anything? I read a few threads on Head Fi where people complain about the same.

I have tried the Audioquests, both black and red. I liked the red one more but its well above my budget right now.

Last edited:
I have a DT880 which is powered by a Darkvoice 336SE tube amp. Replaced the chinese tubes with Westinghouse and Sylvania tubes. Its probably the most VFM amp you can buy for the beyers. Lovely open, layered sound. Might stretch your budget though! The source in my case is a CA Dacmagic.

I have a DT880 which is powered by a Darkvoice 336SE tube amp. Replaced the chinese tubes with Westinghouse and Sylvania tubes. Its probably the most VFM amp you can buy for the beyers. Lovely open, layered sound. Might stretch your budget though! The source in my case is a CA Dacmagic.

Yes, open layered sound is what i am looking for too. Where did you buy the Darkvoice unit from? Massdrop? If so, what arrangements did you make for shipping? Too many questions i know, kinda new to the whole scene. :D

Yes, open layered sound is what i am looking for too. Where did you buy the Darkvoice unit from? Massdrop? If so, what arrangements did you make for shipping? Too many questions i know, kinda new to the whole scene. :D

I got it off an ebay seller who had 99.9% rating. The seller's price was the same as massdrop and shipping charges weren't too bad either via DHL. Paid a lot of duty though - around 5k or so.

Current price appears to be 239.99$ with free shipping - no clue what he'll ship by though!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DarkVoice-...424582&hash=item3d4ba818fb:g:RS4AAOSwVJhZXZFZ

Whoa i have the SP2500 too. Old bugger still runs sweet. As for Fulla 2, do you hear pops while changing tracks or static noises when it isnt playing anything? I read a few threads on Head Fi where people complain about the same.
I can confirm that there is no static or hissing noise when nothing is playing. that was my biggest issue with the creatives. most of the times I just have headphones on without anything playing. even at full volume there is no hissing/static on the headsets as well as the sp2500s. coming to the pops while changing the tracks, I dont think I observed it ever. I can try again and see.

Btw, when I say centrance has shitty drivers. I mean that they are not even signed and wont install on my windows 10 insider preview. and even to download those drivers which dont work, I have to give all my details to get a shitty download link. and oh, btw, mcafee finds the download to have a virus.:banghead::rage:

Last edited:
I did try the 990s with v30+. Sounds good indeed. But i used that device for like 30 minutes and battery dropped 10%. That did scare me. I had better results with Mi A1.

Thank you @Chaos and @booo for your inputs. Darkvoice is indeed a better choice but the price will wring me good. I think i will go with Fulla 2 or Aune Audio B1s + Fiio E10K combo.

I did try the 990s with v30+. Sounds good indeed. But i used that device for like 30 minutes and battery dropped 10%. That did scare me. I had better results with Mi A1.
The amp will kick in at 250 ohms so more power draw

But how did the Mi A1's amp cope with those cans ?

The amp will kick in at 250 ohms so more power draw

But how did the Mi A1's amp cope with those cans ?
The cans do get loud. But the sound quality was meh! It lacks the airiness and control over frequencies, specially the low end. V30+ is miles ahead in that aspect. But i guess thats expected, considering the price difference between the two.

The cans do get loud. But the sound quality was meh! It lacks the airiness and control over frequencies, specially the low end. V30+ is miles ahead in that aspect. But i guess thats expected, considering the price difference between the two.
What do you use as a source for play back ?

Does something like the v20/30 work as an alternative ? dac/amp contained , more portable etc. Or do you still prefer to have the not too portable separates route

What do you use as a source for play back ?

Does something like the v20/30 work as an alternative ? dac/amp contained , more portable etc. Or do you still prefer to have the not too portable separates route
Source is usually my laptop, phone and tablet. I carry my Fiio K1 to drive my IEMs when i am travelling.

Portability isnt a priority in my case. I will be using my can indoors. I just need something potent enough to drive whatever headphone I throw at it, my dt990 being the starting point. And there arent many portable options good enough to do that, specially with the kind of budget i have.

Also, I would like something that compliments the sound signature of the 990 pros.. i.e. tight bass that goes real low, neutral mids and crispy treble.
Am wondering how you go about finding a complement to the 990s. Open back, not neutral IIANM

Had these been 770's like monitors, the dac would be more obvious

Am wondering how you go about finding a complement to the 990s. Open back, not neutral IIANM

Had these been 770's like monitors, the dac would be more obvious

Actually it isnt very difficult. I need something that has thrice the power of the E10K :D I had 770 pro 80 ohms before this. Those were fun. But the soundstage! I dont think i will ever buy a closed back again!

Back