Audio Need Help Deciding IEM's.

BF1983 said:
Oh crap, thats bad. :( I know how you feel when your primary earphone stops working.

Also the TF10s that you heard at Bennys place was with aftermarket cable and a stock TF10 will have a slightly different sound. So you will have to budget in a $75 cable to add to the $250 price of a new TF10.

I would suggest you get a IEM with a replaceable cable as far as possible since the cable is usually the first thing to go and the drivers more often than not outlive the life of the drivers.

Alternatively you can buy a nice amp for your RE0s. :)
The twilight cable that you heard my TF10's with is a 50$ cable. I always preferred that cable with my TF10's cuz they are more durable and the sound seems much better(some say its jus psychological but i don't have a 2nd pair to A/B with).

My stock cable broke even after barely using it. The sound comes and goes from one side.
Thats the beauty of the TF10's as compared to other iems. I don't have to throw the IEMs away like with the RE252's, just have to get another cable. And there are a lotta options for UE cables.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Ritvik said:
Probably. Either sell them and get the UM mage or UM TF10 to 6 driver custom. Works out to the same amount if I sell them. Not sure though since its a lot of money.

and yeah, got KMD to help out with the RMA.
Still contemplating ehh??? :)

FaH33m said:
Went through a few threads on RE-0/252/TF10 comparisons and it seems lot of people still consider the detailing of 252 to be better than TF10 .TF10 seems to have more bass quantity and lot better soundstage. In two minds now .. either this TF10 for ~180$ or a new RE-252.
Lemme make it easy for you faheem....... when your listening to Strobe - DeadMau5 or Every other way - BT(Armin Mix), what would you prefer, better detailin.............. or more bass quantity and a wider soundstage?? :D

Very much so! Will certainly buy a portable amp, will have the RE-0. Will keep the TF10 for a bit and see how long I can hold off from upgrading.

The RE-0's can do with amping, although I read they're more than decent without it too. The amp is more a one time investment for the customs or any future upgrade. Will probably end up buying the customs, I'm not good at exercising restraint :S

^ The question is , is the SQ between a TF10 stock vs TF10 customs worth that much money or is Mage a better buy ?

Mage has a totally different sound signature compared to the TF10. Complete opposites, if I may say so. The Mage can be bright, it has boosted mids while the TF10 has somewhat recessed mids.

IMO, if you just want more details and better quality and a fix for your mids, reshelled TF10's are the way to go.

Oh btw, I've finally decided on getting the JH5Pro instead, the Mage is turning out to be too expensive, around $750 including getting the impressions and shipping out. And by chance If I need a refit, I'm screwed money wise. China is not a cheap place to ship to.

The local audiologist I'm going to is a dealer for JHA, and is recommended by JHA. So the impressions and shipping are free. Will save the money for college, and I think in some time(6 months - 1 year) when I have more money, I'll get a higher end custom and use the JH5 for portability and sleeping in. For now I need to save money for insurance and other stuff(bloody expensive here)

^ On your way to your first customs and already planned the next one .That's like a real portable gear lover :D Saw your sale thread on head-fi ;).Best of Luck.

Ritvik said:
Very much so! Will certainly buy a portable amp, will have the RE-0. Will keep the TF10 for a bit and see how long I can hold off from upgrading.

Hey Ritvik , since you have a RE-0 and TF10 both, could you please tell me if you find an amped RE-0 to be more or equally detailed as the TF10. How would you compare the two ?
bennysachdev said:
whats the point of getting the amp for the RE0?

Why carry the extra weight?

Why not go customs since your gonna use only one iem anyways.
That is because a lot of people find an amped RE-0 to perform better than some of the best universal IEMs as well like TF10 etc. Customs would be super expensive. ~30-35k minimum . An Arrow + RE-0 would cost max 17k-18k + the amp will be a long term investment . :) It boils down to personal preferences , if one doesnt mind carrying an amp , RE-0 + good amp is an amazingly detailed combo.

FaH33m said:
Hey Ritvik , since you have a RE-0 and TF10 both, could you please tell me if you find an amped RE-0 to be more or equally detailed as the TF10. How would you compare the two ?

Haven't bought my amp yet man. Waiting till I get to Singapore, I'm hoping customs (if any) and shipping will make it work out cheaper. The RE-0s are still in transit, thought they'd reach me today but looks like I'll have to wait till Monday.

@ Superfrag - that's pretty much what I'm looking for and hence the decision to pass on the mages. There's also the issue of selling the TF10s to fund the more expensive mage and I don't know if I'll have time for that.

I asked ICC world for quote and got this

Amazon.com: PARENT Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 Pro Noise Isolating Earphones: Electronics

Item price + local shipping + taxes Rs. 12,720.00

Int'l Shipping Rs. 288.00

Duty, Taxes & fees Rs. 4,067.00

TOTAL Rs. 17,075.00

and lynx is offering 16k +tax to me

either way its gonna end up 17k atleast

I am now considering getting a cheaper IEM now S4(as i can guess how custom 3 would sound) or hippo VB(due to good sub-bass, i think i can ignore a bit of sibilance)

i'll keep some $ stocked(this will be hard) so if i ever see a good deal for TF10(like last december).

so S4 or the hippo vb? which one have more bass quantity.

Off topic :

I saw this at lynx website

Nuforce - Well I Am Not Selling This Brand NOW And IN THE FUTURE ,All Nuforce Product Are Stupid And Over Priced In India .

wonder what happend. :p

kuki_295 said:
I asked ICC world for quote and got this

Amazon.com: PARENT Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 Pro Noise Isolating Earphones: Electronics

Item price + local shipping + taxes Rs. 12,720.00

Int'l Shipping Rs. 288.00

Duty, Taxes & fees Rs. 4,067.00

TOTAL Rs. 17,075.00

and lynx is offering 16k +tax to me

either way its gonna end up 17k atleast

I am now considering getting a cheaper IEM now S4(as i can guess how custom 3 would sound) or hippo VB(due to good sub-bass, i think i can ignore a bit of sibilance)

i'll keep some $ stocked(this will be hard) so if i ever see a good deal for TF10(like last december).

so S4 or the hippo vb? which one have more bass quantity.

Off topic :

I saw this at lynx website

wonder what happend. :p
VB has more of controlled and very low end sub bass. S4 , don't have much idea. Even NE6 has amazing bass if you don't want to spend too much ;). I guess you will find a good TF10 deal around December.Also keep an eye on head-fi forums .Lot of TF10s sell for 160-200$ .Most of the sellers are ready to ship to India as well.

FaH33m said:
VB has more of controlled and very low end sub bass. S4 , don't have much idea. Even NE6 has amazing bass if you don't want to spend too much ;). I guess you will find a good TF10 deal around December.Also keep an eye on head-fi forums .Lot of TF10s sell for 160-200$ .Most of the sellers are ready to ship to India as well.

Ok i'll wait till dec then.

I already have NE6.

Back