I just bought my new 60k Dell Inspiron 6400 with the following config -
C2D 5500
X1400 Video
2*512mb 533Mhz DDR2
DVD Writer
9 cell lithium Battery
Windows Vista Premium
Integrated Stereo Audio
I am thrilled with its performance even while having full Aero Glass interface on. But im noticing that its getting too much heated up, mostly the bottom part.

What steps can i take or enhancements, if any, can i make to counter this? Does chillpads help?

Dell 6400s are known to run hot to the touch

But How hot is your hottie? ;)

Install NHC (notebook hardware control ) or any other utility that reports te CPU and HDD temperature, and post back....

There's a possiblity that the heatsink may not be installed properly,

Fixing the heatsink on the 6400 is easy, or it may be just a case of false alarm...so any which way, nothing to worry about...

But at least report back the CPU, GPU and HDD temps ASAP

My temps are around -

HDD - 45-55

CPU - 42-50

Strange part is, the right bottom gets too much heated while the left bottom remains relatively cooler.

And no, i didnt go for a 3yr warranty.

1) The temps are perfectly ok...

2) the 6400 is known to run hot to the touch...

3) The right bottom gets hotter becaus thats where the HDD is

and 4) you should have checked for a coupla reviews for the 6400 before buying... it's a notebook thats known to feel hotter than other notebooks ... even when the components are running at the same temperature , possibly due to bad heat dissipation design :p

There's a reason why 15.4" ers tend to be the cheapest notebooks around, which is that most manufacturers cut corners during the design and while choosing design materials for this volume segment

Hi why dnt u buy a notebook cooler.There are ones tht plug to the USB ports.The components inside a laptop is too tightly packed and the air cant move so well.So Its not surprising to have such temperatures.Go and get one good cooler which can be carried in ur laptop bag.Should fix the prblm.:hap2:

Back