Storage Solutions Need help with diy nas

Ok so cutting out odroid!
Im think a G4400 with other needed parts but my budget is mere 20k
Im using an OMV on an 4 year old pc since 5 days for testing on RAID 0 with sonarr,radarr,couchpotato,transmission, constatnly running 24*7. Will be testing DOCKER today. any help on build will be much apperciated

A G4400 (used ~ 3K) with H110 mobo should come to around 7K. I have a G4400 sitting. The major (expensive) cost will be of RAM which is pretty high. HDDs - expensive still - buy whatever is needed.

A G4400 (used ~ 3K) with H110 mobo should come to around 7K. I have a G4400 sitting. The major (expensive) cost will be of RAM which is pretty high. HDDs - expensive still - buy whatever is needed.
Thanks for the reply buddy!
Yes G4400 IS What I'm planning, don't know why rams are higher now! Also suggest me good psu as it will be running 24*7 and a fan which will be literally quiet as don't want that hissing sound all day long

Thanks for the reply buddy!
Yes G4400 IS What I'm planning, don't know why rams are higher now! Also suggest me good psu as it will be running 24*7 and a fan which will be literally quiet as don't want that hissing sound all day long

RAM shortage. Demand and supply mismatch. Now, its easing off....

PSU - Seasonic or Corsair, I am not the best for the same. I run mine off a FSP/Seasonic.

Just a quick question.

Which is the best cpu and mobo for a NAS home+office server with 4-5pcs and 4-5 lappy. Also as a media server that can handle Plex with ease within my budget.

Case I am thinking of Thermal take core v21.

Need a proccy and mobo to go along.
So budget for proccy mobo is 15k max 20k.

And or Intel.. if so few options would be great.

The parts I might start collecting or try my luck in sale section over here in TE.

Finished build I am expecting by mid FEB.
Please help me out guys.

@OP please don't me posting here because creating a new thread of something similar topic I didn't feel like. Also some tips by fellow members might help you in future.

Still sorry I did post here without your permission..

@OP please don't me posting here because creating a new thread of something similar topic I didn't feel like. Also some tips by fellow members might help you in future.

No worries! I'm actually thankful you posted here. More nas configs and solutions to look at.

btw, i'm wondering how companies that build NAS systems get away with such low specs like arm processors and just 2-4GB ram?

Just a quick question.

Which is the best cpu and mobo for a NAS home+office server with 4-5pcs and 4-5 lappy. Also as a media server that can handle Plex with ease within my budget.

Case I am thinking of Thermal take core v21.

Need a proccy and mobo to go along.
So budget for proccy mobo is 15k max 20k.

And or Intel.. if so few options would be great.

The parts I might start collecting or try my luck in sale section over here in TE.

Finished build I am expecting by mid FEB.
Please help me out guys.

An i3 at the very least - quadcore prefered. 8GB of ram at least.

No worries! I'm actually thankful you posted here. More nas configs and solutions to look at.

btw, i'm wondering how companies that build NAS systems get away with such low specs like arm processors and just 2-4GB ram?

Serving files over SAMBA or other stuff is not very CPU resource heavy, most can handle it. Its transcoding which hits the highest, so they need to have a dedicated chip plus software optimisation for that.

At the end of the day - the Intel rig can be reused for something else, not the NAS box.

An i3 at the very least - quadcore prefered. 8GB of ram at least.
1) I5 4400+b85 mobo±8gb hyperx DDR3+hyper 212x + corsair 450 psu
Or
2) G4560+h270 mobo+h100i aio+trident 16gb ddr4+antec/seasonic 650 semi mod psu
Or
3) ryzen 1200/1300/1400 + suitable mobo no idea maybe b350f strix + h100i + 650w psu

* HDD currently 4*2 WD red or Seagate NAS drive.. later add two more
* 256gb Samsung Evo ssd

Should I purchase a seperate WiFi adapted or should go with mobo built-in WiFi..
Or should stick with LAN

Plus does a router play a vital part in that.. have a tplink archer c20 router mated to a 50mbps railwire optic connection..

Or
Or
3) ryzen 1200/1300/1400 + suitable mobo no idea maybe b350f strix + h100i + 650w psu

* 256gb Samsung Evo ssd

Should I purchase a seperate WiFi adapted or should go with mobo built-in WiFi..
Or should stick with LAN

Plus does a router play a vital part in that.. have a tplink archer c20 router mated to a 50mbps railwire optic connection..
Or any suitable config you suggest. It should look modern with all the gizmos possible later on in time like rgbs.. planning to make a Dhinchak Pooja sorry a NAS.. bas..[emoji6]

Or
Or

* 256gb Samsung Evo ssd

Or should stick with LAN

I would prefer that @cyberwarfare , @rajil.s and others give a better answer than mine...

I would opt for the Kaby Lake pentium over the older Haswell one.

I would also be opting for a Plex pass anyways - https://support.plex.tv/articles/115002178853-using-hardware-accelerated-streaming/

Will need time to decode this.. let me gain some knowledge and get back soon..
Thanks all of you good ppl for helping us Noobs.. [emoji111]️[emoji4]

Streaming over wifi should be avoided, it will not be good.

Also, yes, the router plays an important part, but so does your devices. If the router is able to push more throughput, then its good, but your devices should be able to use that BW.[DOUBLEPOST=1516622149][/DOUBLEPOST]
upload_2018-1-22_17-9-58.png

Based on this, taken from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video, you should ideally have Skylake at the very least for HEVC.

Last edited:
For ZFS ECC ram is a must. Hence, my primary choice of processor is a Xeon. There is a certain I3 version which supports ECC (haswell iirc) as well. I have heard reports that Ryzen supports ECC too with some specific motherboards. i5 and i7 do not support ECC, hence not good for NAS.

For ZFS ECC ram is a must. Hence, my primary choice of processor is a Xeon. There is a certain I3 version which supports ECC (haswell iirc) as well. I have heard reports that Ryzen supports ECC too with some specific motherboards. i5 and i7 do not support ECC, hence not good for NAS.

I would not put it that way - for highest safety of your data, when using ZFS, you should use ECC.[DOUBLEPOST=1516774340][/DOUBLEPOST]I would suggest to google for it and read the articles. I am not going to setup mine with ECC, its not worth it for home use. But yes, for business use, if I ever do it, I would stick to ECC.

Last edited:
^ZFS is dead...(i mean seriously) btrfs ftw. and whats ECC gots to do with ZFS? We are trying to build a cheap NAS solution and not a storage array. arnt we?

I would say just put a LSI megaraid card and you should be good. It supports upto 8 hdds(i think) and has onboard raid for 0,1,5,6 etc...

some high end cards also have onboard write cache with supercap backup. but then I am assuming that you dont really need that kind of write perf. since its hw raid, everything is offloaded from the cpu and gives really good read perf.

Last edited:
From someone really new to all these, What is RAID ? How does it help ?
RAID is acronym for redundant array of inexpensive disks. its bunch of strategies used to spread data across multiple drives to improve IO throughputs and also get some level of data redundancy. data is striped or mirrored or a combination of both and sometimes with parity to achieve this.

Back