Need high-end Android phone

vebk

Adept
So now that I am sick of waiting for the Desire to pop up officially in India, and totally disappointed with HTC's lies (they kept changing their claims - from may end to july end, and now mid-august):mad:, I am looking for alternatives in the android phone market. Budget is not a big issue and I am comfortable in the 25-30K range (maximum!)

The following things are important to me:
  • 1 GHz processor
  • Multi-touch touchscreen (pinch and zoom)
  • A good chance of being upgraded to froyo and beyond.

The only phone I could think of with all this was the Samsung Galaxy S. I tried it out in a couple of stores but didn't like it too much (i.e. the physical build). The screen and all is good - but physically it did not feel solid to me and reminded me too much of an iPod.

Are there any other options?

^ AFAIK unfortunately none of the motorola phones (Milestone, Milestone XT720) use a 1GHz processor.

It's looking more and more like the Galaxy S is my only option.

Your options include

Samsung Galaxy S Amazing Screen

Nexus One First to get updates.

Xperia X10

I would go with the galaxy s due to its excellent screen and direct support of divx/xvid video.

It features the PowerVR SGX540 which is claimed to be 3x faster than the chip in ipad.

Forget the N1 - it is discontinued as Anish pointed it out. Whatever retails in the market belongs to the last batch of shipment or the unsold ones. :p

Galaxy S is your best bet ATM.

So now that I am sick of waiting for the Desire to pop up officially in India, and totally disappointed with HTC's lies (they kept changing their claims - from may end to july end, and now mid-august)

Crap! I was waiting for the Desire to launch officially this month! Wanted to check it out before getting the Galaxy S. Seems like I'm left with no other option now :-(

Checksum said:
Crap! I was waiting for the Desire to launch officially this month! Wanted to check it out before getting the Galaxy S. Seems like I'm left with no other option now :-(

Yeah, this is the suckage that is HTC India. I have been waiting for a long time for this phone. I have been e-mailing them throughout, and earlier they said end of May, which was changed to end of July (even as recent as with an e-mail exchanged with them about 2 weeks ago). When I e-mailed them this week that it's the end of July, where the hell is the phone, they now say it will be released mid-August. As far as I am concerned, HTC India is dead to me. They must have some serious morons working for them, for them to basically be pushing the Wildfire, Tattoo, Legend, HD Mini and HTC Smart - all low end phones as far as HTC's portfolio goes. And I have only really seen them advertise the HTC Smart which is possibly the worst phone in their lineup.

So I guess my choice is really to either ignore the poor build quality and lagging of the Galaxy S, and bite that 27-28k bullet, or wait till Windows 7 phones come. Sucks.

Boot_Comp said:
Any particular reason you are not interested in getting the HTC desire from ebay /other places?

OR are you only looking for ones with proper warranty?
Yup, warranty is the ONLY reason I was waiting for the official release. I simply don't trust ebay dealers enough to get high end phones from them.

Also, the Desire seemed perfect for me, but for its screen quality. Coming from an iPhone, I can put up with anything but mediocre screen quality. Especially the pinkish tint due to the pentile matrix screen of the Nexus One/Desire seemed bothersome. It might not be that apparent, but just seeing pics/videos of it online put me off. Too bad HTC is taking the Desire lightly in India. It had very good potential to become the best selling high end android phone here

Basically, I am wary of grey market phones, especially ones that are not sealed. And if I am buying a grey market phone, I certainly don't want to go chasing after some anonymous person on ebay. I would rather have a person in Delhi who I can take the phone to in case of a problem.

At oen point I almost gave in to buying a grey market one, but then I decided to be patient and wait for the last week of July that HTC India quoted as the release date. Big mistake that was.

Maybe I should just get the BB 9700.....

vebk said:
So I guess my choice is really to either ignore the poor build quality and lagging of the Galaxy S, and bite that 27-28k bullet, or wait till Windows 7 phones come. Sucks.

Froyo Update will solve the issue and samsung has also released a small fix for the lagging issue.

Built quality is pretty good.

^AFAIK Froyo only comes out in September for the Galaxy S. And that too in Europe - whether it will come to India at that time too remains to be seen. As for the lagging, does the firware update fully fix it? Two handsets I used (in completely different shops) really had this problem and that put me off - don't want to spend a fortune on a phone that lags.

By build quality being poor I meant that my 2 year old Nokia E51 seems like a more solid phone. I think like the Milestone, more manufacturers should use solid metal for at least the back of the phone. The Galaxy S may or may not creak etc. but it's too plasticky and too iPod looking for my taste.

I am using Galaxy S and it's very nice. Hardware wise it pawn everything available right now by some measures. But TouchWiz 3.0 sux... also, the default firmware sux. On software side, HTC is just a lot more polished.

Back